Hello everyone!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Hello everyone!
My name is Leif, and I am new to not only this forum, but also atheism. I use to be a semi devoted Christian prior to embracing science. My experience with atheists, prior to giving up my faith, has only been with militant atheists. I definitely understand their frustration now, however I find myself not holding animosity towards my church (I'll explain why it is still current a little further down). It is a friendly community with people I still enjoy being around. I started having doubts though when the pastor would try and use science to support the existence of god. None of it would obviously align.

Now, I still attend church because my wife is a devote Christian. Her dad is a pastor and oversees a church in the Bible Belt. My wife knows that I am now atheist, and generally supports me and my beliefs. We have a 2 y/o son, and I do not want us to divide because of our views. I love my wife dearly and feel I can eat my pride and listen to a service every other week, or so. We have both agreed that we will give our son both views, slowly, so when he is 18 he can make his own decision and do what ultimately makes him happy.

This is a lot to spill out, lol. I am just in search of like minded, and same situation, people to communicate with. Sometimes sitting through church is hard as shit, and exhausting. I don't really have too many people to dialog with about my philosophical standings. Hopefully I find that here!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GoldenRatio's post
03-06-2013, 07:06 PM
RE: Hello everyone!
Welcome! You aren't the only atheist married to a believer here. Some of us make it work just fine- although not all relationships can withstand the conflicting views.

I don't know many that still attend church with their spouse. My husband doesn't attend -so it makes it much easier for us.

Recently I've seen some threads on the different approaches parents use with their children when the parents are atheist/believer ...check out the boards....I'm sure you will find them there.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
03-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Welcome to the forum, and good luck.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
04-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Thank you very much for the information. It is definitely a transformation and transition.
I am glad to hear though that there are others out there in the same predicament.
04-06-2013, 10:35 PM
(03-06-2013 07:09 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Welcome to the forum, and good luck.
Thank you very much!
05-06-2013, 12:10 AM
Hi Golden,

I hope you enjoy the forum.

(03-06-2013 04:40 PM)GoldenRatio Wrote:  My name is Leif, and I am new to not only this forum, but also atheism. I use to be a semi devoted Christian prior to embracing science. My experience with atheists, prior to giving up my faith, has only been with militant atheists. I definitely understand their frustration now, however I find myself not holding animosity towards my church (I'll explain why it is still current a little further down). It is a friendly community with people I still enjoy being around. I started having doubts though when the pastor would try and use science to support the existence of god. None of it would obviously align.

Now, I still attend church because my wife is a devote Christian. Her dad is a pastor and oversees a church in the Bible Belt. My wife knows that I am now atheist, and generally supports me and my beliefs. We have a 2 y/o son, and I do not want us to divide because of our views. I love my wife dearly and feel I can eat my pride and listen to a service every other week, or so. We have both agreed that we will give our son both views, slowly, so when he is 18 he can make his own decision and do what ultimately makes him happy.

This is a lot to spill out, lol. I am just in search of like minded, and same situation, people to communicate with. Sometimes sitting through church is hard as shit, and exhausting. I don't really have too many people to dialog with about my philosophical standings. Hopefully I find that here!
05-06-2013, 12:24 AM
First of all, you have he best username ever. I thought to myself "why didn't I think of that". The golden ratio makes me swoon.

A lot of people here can relate and know exactly what you're talking about. Your relationship with your family, especially your wife, sounds super positive and that's great. Welcome to the forums, I hope you find what you're looking for here.
09-06-2013, 02:56 AM
(05-06-2013 12:24 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  First of all, you have he best username ever. I thought to myself "why didn't I think of that". The golden ratio makes me swoon.

A lot of people here can relate and know exactly what you're talking about. Your relationship with your family, especially your wife, sounds super positive and that's great. Welcome to the forums, I hope you find what you're looking for here.

Thank you very much for the response. I absolutely love the Golden Ratio and it's implicit design within nature. Mario Livio authored a great book on it titled "The Golden Ratio." I was surprised by my wife's reaction, however, it's just another reason why I married her lol.
09-06-2013, 02:57 AM
Thank you California! I appreciate it!
09-06-2013, 03:44 AM
(03-06-2013 04:40 PM)GoldenRatio Wrote:  My name is Leif

Danmark, Sweden, Iceland or Norway, dude. Tell me.

Welcome regardless.

[Image: 9f6.gif]