Hello everyone! I'd like to introduce myself!

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
08-05-2010, 01:53 PM

Big Grin Hello everyone! I'd like to introduce myself!
Hello everyone, as much I'd like to use my real name and make a more formal introduction; I've decided against it because for some reason, be it fear of becoming socially rejected if anyone found out I was athiest, or perhaps the fact that I'm not ready to identify myself an atheist yet.

Regardless I got to know this group through when one of the user's youtube videos reached the most popular on digg. I'm a 15 year old teenager who lives in a very diverse family. My mom is christen, baptizing me at the age of 7, and my dad is Buddhist. At a young age I began to wonder and question the legitimacy of the bible. I did still pray every night however, because I feared going to hell. When I realized that it was the only reason I continued to pray; I foresaw that I did not love God the same way I love my parents as my creator, I did not the depend on God as much as I depended my girlfriend and friends, and I did not trust the bible as much as I trusted academic sources. I always knew I was atheist, although I was never willing to admit it. I continued to go to church because I enjoyed being a community, and in fact I'm currently the official public spokesperson for my church. It's ironic I'm a non believer and I'm also a leader at the church, but I like what my church does for the homeless and the people in need. What we really need to create houses of science, where people can discuss scientific advancements and enjoy each other's company. Imagine what our bright minds can accomplish in means of helping others! Morals are a choice not a religion, I totally agree with that!

Now that you know a little more about me; I can go on a little about my troubles. I'm no longer feared by the possibility of hell. But I am afraid of fully admitting myself as an atheist. What life would it be without a God? Without a heaven? Are we all just creatures striving for materialistic pleasure? I find it hard to keep an optimistic view on life if this is the only life we ever have. We live in a society that drives us to work and compete. I throw away my enjoyment and dwell on studies. I miss the chances to experience many things in my life for education. In the end what does education bring me? Money? Fame? Status? What use are those things in the end if they promise me no happiness other then temporary satisfaction?

As you can see, I'm very confused. Thanks for reading my thoughts, any comments and replies are appreciated! Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2010, 02:32 PM
RE: Hello everyone! I'd like to introduce myself and discus with you all about my concern
Hi, welcome to the forum. I"m shiran, from Israel and have 18 years old.

when I was in your age, I didn't think like you are. maybe it's because I'm coming from traditional-open-minded family and never was frightened with going to hell when I was younger or never have been told that life has no meaning without god. And I'm sensing that your questions coming from that place- your whole life you've been told that the meaning of life is religion, is god. and without god you have no reason to live.
Well, I think the term "atheist" is one word which conradict this assuming. you can have a meaning in your life without god. the things your church do with homless is wonderful, but I have a feeling it does these things just to get a place in "heaven". that makesit a little bit selfish, I think. you can do it with out god. just for the act itself- for the goodness and givness and kindness. only your heart is involve, no god.

Unfotunately, the adolts in our life tend to tell us that successful is the "American Dream" - big house, big car, wife/husband+2, dog and cat. that is one big lie. successful is to be what you want to be, not what others tells you what you need to be. and if you want to be single with no permament house all your life- you'll be successful as single with no permament house.

so, yes, my friend. no one here can tell you what is the meaning of life or what successful means. you need to look at your own personality and find out what you like to do and what you don't. what makes you happy and what makes you sad. what makes you whole and what makes you empty.

don't worry- you're only 15, you have timeSmile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2010, 04:04 PM

RE: Hello everyone! I'd like to introduce myself!
Hey Shiran,

Thank you for commenting back. Your helpful comment is encouraging, and I appreciate it! I'm family isn't too strict about religion, although I grew up with the church and even went to a catholic elementary school.

Your right though, the definition of success should vary among people. I guess I let society condition me into believing there is only one type of it. I look forward to living my life in such a way that suites me, and continuing to do things for those in need. It's true that I can do these things without the church, but the church is an organization already set up. It would complicated and difficult for me to achieve my goals without an organization supporting me.

Yeah yeah...I'm only 15. According to Erikson's developmental stages, I seem to have jumped from the adolescent stage to middle age one.

Anyways, thank you again for commenting my friend. I look forward to discussing further things with you and others on this forum.
08-05-2010, 04:39 PM
don't "yeah, yeah" me! Tongue
the difference between 15 and 18 is big, trust me- been there, done that.
(and Erikson sucks....I have the final exam on Monday, wish me luck!)
08-05-2010, 04:52 PM

Good luck buddy! On psychology?

According to Erikson I've failed 3 stages, I'm doomed to eternal unhappiness muahahahha!
08-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Hey cityboy. Glad to have you here.

The majority of us are teenagers like yourself, as far as I can tell - I'm eighteen, myself. If you need to talk to anyone - you might want to, as you haven't told anyone about your lack of belief yet - or have any questions about an argument you can't refute, you can ask us.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
08-05-2010, 07:29 PM

I'm not entirely certain what is is your asking. I mean, look at what you wrote. You're wondering if life is effectively meaningless without religion, but then you've already designated yourself as an atheist.

Is life meaningless to you? It's not as though there is some kind of objective standard of 'meaning' in the universe that we may attempt to aspire towards(despite what certain groups would love to have you believe); you give your own life meaning.

Do what you love; love what you do.
08-05-2010, 09:50 PM

Thanks unbeliever, I go to bible studies at lunchtime a lot cause I like to debate beliefs with them (being respectful of their choices of course)

Ceryle your right, I've been brainwashed by the Disney themes of destiny and hope. I'm gonna have to great my own and set my own scopes. To your question, I am atheist, and my life does feel meaningless.
08-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Well, if you're still looking for objective meaning, then you're going to continue feeling meaningless. The universe doesn't care about us any more than it cares about anything else. There is no universal standard for meaning and purpose. But you can always give your life subjective meaning. In the end, what your life is worth is up to you and no one else.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
09-05-2010, 03:18 AM
(08-05-2010 04:52 PM)justacityboy Wrote:  Good luck buddy! On psychology?

According to Erikson I've failed 3 stages, I'm doomed to eternal unhappiness muahahahha!

Yeap! psychology is fun fun fun!

According to Freud I'm lesbian Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Introduce Yourself HERE! Soldieringon 5,103 160,757 Today 06:37 PM
Last Post: Rev Dr. T Dwayne Killebrew III
Shocked I am just going to introduce myself and start things off light. Dru Denizen 17 625 13-01-2014 04:05 AM
Last Post: Dee
  Introduce Myself Nevillean 1 226 23-06-2013 07:56 AM
Last Post: morondog
  [split] Introduce Yourself HERE! Thinking Mom's Letter thinkingmom 8 629 10-06-2013 01:53 PM
Last Post: viocjit
  Derailed :D[split] Introduce Yourself HERE! hylonome 81 4,012 27-08-2012 12:14 AM
Last Post: Atothetheist
  Please allow me to introduce myself Caveman 12 742 29-03-2012 07:22 AM
Last Post: kingschosen
  Can I Introduce Myself Video3tech 24 1,748 27-03-2012 11:36 PM
Last Post: aurora