Hello everyone newbie here!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2017, 06:59 PM
Hello everyone newbie here!!
So as I take the deep breath of finally getting on the forum. A little back ground as I peek through the door of common sense. I grew up in the Baptist, Pentecostal, Protestant and Lutheran Faith if that makes sense. Raised down in Tampa where I was basically baptist and then in high school and college up here in the Midwest where I dabbled into several different denominations. I guess I started my quest for answers way back in Jr high where you didn't dare question the Almighty! Hell grandma would slap me silly with the umbrella if I asked and did "ummm grandma how did all those animals and dinosaurs fit on the ark?" "How did we become who we are with only Adam and Eve?" And the other big one was "how in the world does a person live in a whale???!!!" She and others would lead me back to scripture... somethings are just not understood little guy? And don't you ever question the Bible again because sinners go to ......." HELL"!!! (shock horror theme song plays in the background.. lol ) ...yep the Hell threat we all grew up scared of the fiery furnace below the earth!!! Lol That scared trick worked with me even though after never getting struck by lightning would make me secretly ask more questions to youth Paster's, Ministors and even a college roommate philosophy major!!! Ding ding ding!!!. It just didn't all add up but I couldn't let go and for years just sat like sheep singing the songs "Jesus loves me this I know" lol or I am a CH Ch C H R I S T I A N.. and all of that until a few years ago I really started to read and and listen to debates. I ran across this podcast " The Aetheist Experince" and realized that it was all BS all those years!! I listen to debates all the time Sam Harris, Bart Erham, JT Everhart, and so on.. Now I will say I'm one of those guys who is still deconverting although I'm pretty much out just not to many friends. I play the game for risk of losing them... yep I fake it now a few that I know are skeptics.. they know.. but the others well everyone has their time frames. I respect them but don't really feel I need to start fights and such. I enjoy Christmas and view it more as " The Winter Soltice" I attend Christmas concerts and like the music and time of year even though I don't have to believe in the Jesus story. It's like going to the movies in a way to me fantasy, fairytale, folklore.. so to speak.borrowed Pagen rituals then the early Americans fattened up Chris Chringle gave him a red suit fattened him up and called him
Santa.... he is marketed with Rudolph and Reindeer, a Slegh with presents and Walla Christmas!! 2.0 is born in America!!! Lol

I will say I find at times missing and have heard Seth and others say they miss the community in church the people and gatherings.. at times not always but occasionally I'll miss it ..... to me if church could be a day of " personal wellness or well-being" without having to bow down to a "deity" then I'd take that, but that will never happen, so when I go and it hasn't been for months if not years I " block out the believing thing and just "fake it" and enjoy the other things I like about the church and the people in it. Maybe I'm kidding myself because on one occasion 2 years ago during the 1st real time I knew I didn't believe this shit!!!! I sat in the back and looked at the live nativity scene they had and the play that year for Xmas and almost walked out because I knew it was just BS!! But I stayed as we all have at one point.

I'm not ready to tell my kids 11 year old and 18 yr old although my son hears these podcast all the time when he's with me and not with my ex wife.. I talk to my son a little about critical thinking and logic and drawing his own conclusions little by little. The 18 yr old daughter doesn't hear any of it. She's a daughter I raised through marriage I'm all she's known in a dad as her bio dad not around never was like my own... both her dad and my parents went .. . MIA!! Missing in Action but you can't make excuses gotta pick yourself up and live this life the best you can!!

In closing, again hope I didn't talk to long but had to get it off my chest and now I'm on and can have a voice and share experiences as we now know there are others just like us and it's ok to take that sigh of relief!!!

Oh the other thing for me is I live horror and ghost and hmmm do I believe in them... maybe I'm Agnostic even though there is no real evidence of "Casper " or shadow creatures and such.. The Universe is awesome and I wonder about that Psy FI stuff as well. But to not believe in god means no belief in UFOs right? I don't know???? hard to believe space is just us out there when there could be other possibilities yet to be discovered light years and galaxy's away!!! Anyway that's another story.. thanks for listening -keep thinking!!!

COOL LOGIC!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cool Logic's post
31-01-2017, 08:01 PM
RE: Hello everyone newbie here!!
Welcome to the forum Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
31-01-2017, 08:09 PM
Welcome to TTA.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-01-2017, 09:49 PM
Welcome, CL, we're glad you're here.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
31-01-2017, 09:55 PM
You'll find quite a few ex-fundamentalists, here. We're glad to have you. Smile

Welcome to TTA.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
31-01-2017, 10:06 PM
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
01-02-2017, 12:32 AM
Hello!

Hug
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
01-02-2017, 01:35 AM
Welcome.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
01-02-2017, 01:56 AM
G'day mate, and welcome. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
01-02-2017, 11:44 AM
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post