Hello fellow Unicorns....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2014, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2014 08:34 AM by Hobbitgirl.)
Hello fellow Unicorns....
Apparently we don't exist.

http://www.science20.com/writer_on_the_e...A.facebook

Quote:WHILE MILITANT ATHEISTS like Richard Dawkins may be convinced God doesn’t exist, God, if he is around, may be amused to find that atheists might not exist.

Cognitive scientists are becoming increasingly aware that a metaphysical outlook may be so deeply ingrained in human thought processes that it cannot be expunged.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
21-07-2014, 08:31 AM
RE: Hello fellow Unicorns....
Here I thought the point was recognizing the weaknesses in our thought process and overcoming it. Just because I see patterns that arent there doesnt mean I HAVE to think they are messages from god. O.o
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
21-07-2014, 09:26 AM
(21-07-2014 08:30 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Apparently we don't exist.

http://www.science20.com/writer_on_the_e...A.facebook

Quote:WHILE MILITANT ATHEISTS like Richard Dawkins may be convinced God doesn’t exist, God, if he is around, may be amused to find that atheists might not exist.

Cognitive scientists are becoming increasingly aware that a metaphysical outlook may be so deeply ingrained in human thought processes that it cannot be expunged.

The first problem I see is that a metaphysical outlook is not the same as a supernatural outlook. Just because we're hardwired to wonder "what's ultimately there?" doesn't mean that we can't honestly come to the conclusion that nature is all there is.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
21-07-2014, 10:37 AM
I found zero citations for any of the "studies". I could not find a reason to finish the article.
[+] 1 user Likes closet.atheist's post
21-07-2014, 10:50 AM
They do know what Atheist means right? For the first couple paragraphs sounds like they are misinterpreting the word.

Quote: that even people who claim to be committed atheists tacitly hold religious beliefs, such as the existence of an immortal soul.

Second of all I don't remember believing I have an immortal soul Consider

Edit: Just saw Seth posted something about this on the TTA Facebook page and someone had a good question.

Quote:Does this mean that I don't have to work today because I don't really exist?

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
21-07-2014, 10:53 AM
(21-07-2014 10:50 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  They do know what Atheist means right? For the first couple paragraphs sounds like they are misinterpreting the word.

Quote: that even people who claim to be committed atheists tacitly hold religious beliefs, such as the existence of an immortal soul.

Very true. We need to keep reminding people that the only thing we have in common as atheists is a disbelief in god/s.
21-07-2014, 11:00 AM
(21-07-2014 10:53 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(21-07-2014 10:50 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  They do know what Atheist means right? For the first couple paragraphs sounds like they are misinterpreting the word.

Very true. We need to keep reminding people that the only thing we have in common as atheists is a disbelief in god/s.

Yup and having a religious or spiritual belief,for example having an immortal soul doesn't disqualify you as an atheist as long as that belief isn't in a deity but in this world, anything someone can do to discount atheism, they will do.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
21-07-2014, 04:02 PM
Quote 1: 'Scientists have discovered that “invisible friends” are not something reserved for children. We all have them, and encounter them often in the form of interior monologues. As we experience events, we mentally tell a non-present listener about it. '

Good heavens, what sort of claptrap is this? Examining an issue from more than one point of view is not having an invisible friend. It's having an internal debate. I do it so that I can (hopefully) come to an informed position, not because my "invisible friend" Kevin needs to know about it. (By the way, Kevin, you still owe me 50 bucks - and i want the visible kind of bucks, not the rubbish you gave me last time) And what does "mentally tell a non-present listener" actually mean? If I experience an event, I may mutter something under my breath (possibly an obscenity) but it's not meant for Kevin or his beautiful, extremely intelligent, artistic, comic genius sister Penelope. (Hey, they're my invisible friends...I'll imagine them any way I like).

Quote 2: 'While the UK is often defined as an irreligious place, a recent survey by Theos, a think tank, found that very few people—only 13 per cent of adults—agreed with the statement “humans are purely material beings with no spiritual element”. For the vast majority of us, unseen realities are very present.'

First of all, I'd worry about the name of the think tank. Theos??? Really??? OK, maybe they can do unbiased research. But I wouldn't bet the 50 bucks I'm going to get from Kevin on it, but there you go...My beef is with the term "spiritual element". Many of us believe we have such a element that includes wonder in nature and the universe, the desire to examine the world using science etc etc but simply doesn't contain elements of worshipping a god or thinking that Louie Gohmert is a demi-god. In 1986, I laid on my back on a fairly remote beach near Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia to look at Halley's Comet. It was 3 in the morning and I had checked there no crocodiles on the beach (the last bit was no joke). I lay there for about an hour watching the Comet in the sky. That, to me, was a very spiritual experience. No god involved.

Quote 3: 'These theories find confirmation from a very different academic discipline—the literature department. The present writer, based at the Creativity Lab at Hong Kong Polytechnic University’s School of Design, has been looking at the manifestation of cosmic justice in fictional narratives—books, movies and games. It is clear that in almost all fictional worlds, God exists, whether the stories are written by people of a religious, atheist or indeterminate beliefs.'

So, we use works of fiction to confirm scientific hypotheses???? Hmmm. Dodgy approach, since buyers and users are self-selecting. But let that go. I don't read lots of fictional books or movies. I don't play any games except chess and (non-computer) games with my grandkids. But I don't recall God appearing in Harry Potter or The LOTR unless you want to count Voldemort and Sauron as gods (which they weren't). And the few shoot-em-up games I have played seemed to worship heavy calibre weapons...which some people do seem to see as gods. Very possibly, others have had different experiences.

I could go on, but Kevin's just given me the 50 bucks he owes me and we're heading off to the pub.
[+] 2 users Like jockmcdock's post
22-07-2014, 03:14 PM
It looked like the author was using shock tactics. Or he is just a troll...

[Image: g-HitchensThinkSelf.gif]
29-07-2014, 04:57 AM
I checked with my inner voice, it told me to bugger off. Yup.... situation normal.
[+] 1 user Likes kiwihogfiend's post