Hello fellow atheists!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2014, 07:27 AM
Hello fellow atheists!
Hi everyone, my name is Jesse and I am a relatively new 'Godless' atheist. It's a term I'm still pretty new with, since for most of my life I viewed 'godless' as part of a derogatory term.

Little about me..I'm an east coaster, went to school in Baltimore, married, and I have a bunch of old, and more often than not, handicapped rescue dogs.

To the point, I grew up Christian my whole life. Deep down I knew there were one or two inconsistencies and hypocrisies (that's a joke in case you were wondering), but never acknowledged them as I feared it would challenge my faith and I'd go to hell for entertaining those thoughts. I spent plenty of nights before bed praying to the guy way up in heaven since he could hear my thoughts and knew everything I was thinking anyway.

That being said, I watched 'How the Universe Works' on netflix. Mind blown. Then I watched some debates with Lawrence Krauss. Mind blown. Then I read a few books by Richard Dawkins, Lawrence Krauss, Michio Kaku (Sam Harris is on my list) and read a few on misunderstandings of evolution. Well, at the end of it all, I felt like a big dummy. Even a little scared at first. A life without God? I've lived my whole life thinking that Big Hoss was looking down on me. Now what?

Now my wife and I find ourselves as not just atheists, but also pretty opposed to any form of religion too. Thought it would be nice to find some other like minded people and share a few discussions.

And if you're wondering, I did let my family know. My sister is on the same page with me. Mom and Dad are still believers, but I engage them frequently in debates. I was lucky though in that I never received any kind of negative reaction. Mom still loves me, Dad still loves me, we still have family dinners, etc. I didn't get any of the "well forget Christmas since it's about Christ, and move out of the US since we're a Christian nation". Can't say I won't get that from some other family members...but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like =jesse='s post
24-02-2014, 09:21 AM
RE: Hello fellow atheists!
(24-02-2014 07:27 AM)=jesse= Wrote:  I felt like a big dummy.

Sometimes I think the world is divided into those who can admit that at some stage they *have* been a big dummy, and those who're so goddamned cantankerous that they'll never ever ever admit they were even a teeny tiny bit wrong, even if it kills them...

Welcome to the forum Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
24-02-2014, 09:35 AM
A heartwarming story. I've never really been religious so never had to suffer, what must be an enormous change in state of mind that comes with letting go of god and coming to terms with the real world. Hats of to you, maybe you could discuss with Drich a bit now that would be interesting. I think he's a lost cause though to be honest.

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Yey! Great story.
A heartwarming tale of common sense and reason winning out in the end.
Looking forward to some pearls of wisdom from you.
Rose
[+] 1 user Likes englishrose's post
24-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Welcome aboard, Jesse.
24-02-2014, 10:14 AM
Sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders. Thumbsup

Welcome to the real world and the forum.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
24-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I look forward to participating.

Lately, I find myself more interested in why people flock to religion and why they are so stubborn against accepting other ideas. I like the idea that religion is an evolutionary byproduct. But this is what I've been reading about lately. Dawkins' book 'The God Delusion' was life changing for me.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
25-02-2014, 06:14 PM
Welcome fellow Peoples Republic of Free Stater. I think that puts Maryland close to a dozen or so with representation here. That probably means we are more representative of any State or country on this forum per capita. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
25-02-2014, 06:16 PM
Welcome! Big Grin

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
25-02-2014, 06:23 PM
Hello fellow atheists!
Welcome home?

I was religious too for quite a while in my younger years. Raised in a mostly Christian family.

One thing I've found since realizing I had it all wrong and had been so easily duped is that now I am a much more cautious thinker. I also sometimes freak and wonder "oh crap, what else am I still wrong about??"

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post