Hello, fellow infidels

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Hello, fellow infidels
I have been an atheist since I was in the fifth grade in 1972. Despite this, I have studied many of the worlds major religions hoping that I could find something that was worthy of my belief. Instead, I found only human symbolism and small-minded foolishness. There is nothing that I have found in all my studies that makes a compelling call for a supernatural being, and so I reject the very idea of a deity.

As a profession, I am a paleoecologist, meaning that I study changes in the Earth's natural systems through time. Nothing in my scientific awareness calls for a god either, so I'm a twice over an atheist.

I will not flame except under the most dire of circumstances.

I am looking for a well-moderated forum where like-minded thinkers can have a reasoned discussion free from trolling and foolishness. Can this be that forum?

[/font]Religion, is the belief in something for which there is absolutely no evidence, as such, it should be classified as a mental illness.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2013, 11:29 AM
RE: Hello, fellow infidels
(18-05-2013 10:28 PM)Carbon14 Wrote:  I have been an atheist since I was in the fifth grade in 1972. Despite this, I have studied many of the worlds major religions hoping that I could find something that was worthy of my belief. Instead, I found only human symbolism and small-minded foolishness. There is nothing that I have found in all my studies that makes a compelling call for a supernatural being, and so I reject the very idea of a deity.

As a profession, I am a paleoecologist, meaning that I study changes in the Earth's natural systems through time. Nothing in my scientific awareness calls for a god either, so I'm a twice over an atheist.

I will not flame except under the most dire of circumstances.

I am looking for a well-moderated forum where like-minded thinkers can have a reasoned discussion free from trolling and foolishness. Can this be that forum?

This forum can be anything you want it to be.

For instance... depends on your definition of "the most dire of circumstances".

My definition doesn't include flaming people. It does, however, include attacking the argument.

Welcome!

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-05-2013, 08:19 AM
We do get trolls, and the forum is strictly adhering to free speech for all. There are trolls who have become "forum pets" and you get used to them. That's where you can flame if you like.

That doesn't mean you can't have meaningful conversations. Most threads are just that.

Pull up a chair and chime in! Drinking Beverage

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
20-05-2013, 01:29 PM
(18-05-2013 10:28 PM)Carbon14 Wrote:  ... reasoned discussion free from ... foolishness. Can this be that forum?

Good luck with that. While reasoned discussions are quite numerous, there's also a fair amount of foolishness. The foolish spectrum can range from one of Egor's epiphanies, to a good ol' farts thread.

...and whatever you do, don't ever malign Gwyneth Paltrow. Excl

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
20-05-2013, 02:05 PM
(18-05-2013 10:28 PM)Carbon14 Wrote:  I am looking for a well-moderated forum where like-minded thinkers can have a reasoned discussion free from trolling and foolishness. Can this be that forum?

Well, we might have a reasonable theist here and there... for most of them reason & logic can be somewhat subjective terms. Dodgy Yea.

The trolls can get a little nasty but once engaged, they pretty much spin themselves into butter and burn off... they never have taken the searing of logic and reason very well.

We are an international forum so there's a variety in world view and perspective... you're sure to find something of interest to discuss.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
20-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Hey. Not an infidels, but I'm right here with you Smile

Welcome to TTA.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
21-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Welcome aboard!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
21-05-2013, 10:36 AM
(20-05-2013 04:08 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Hey. Not an infidels, but I'm right here with you Smile

You are so an infidel Kingsy - we're gonna tie a rope to your ass and drag you down to hell with us!! No worries; we'll just be making sure you meet Jesus. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein