Hello fellow primates

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2015, 09:04 AM
Hello fellow primates
I'm a middle-aged chap from the UK, where atheism/agnosticism is thankfully pretty common.

I was baptised into a Scottish presbyterian church by my parents who remained active church-goers all their lives but never shoved religion down my throat (or my younger brother's).

I came to the conclusion that all this religious claptrap was a waste of time when I was a teenager and while in hindsight I was probably agnostic for a number of years in my early twenties by the time I'd matured a bit I was definitely inclined to disbelief rather than mere indifference.

When I settled down and got married and became a father I felt that it was only fair to my daughter that she make up her own mind about religion and so didn't have her baptised. The only family member who seemed to have issues with this was my mother-in-law, but as she'd last set foot in church about 20 years previously, her reservations appeared to be more concerned with convention than belief. My daughter has of course grown up to be a very level-headed, caring and capable young woman of whom I'm very proud.............and who has never felt the need to embrace religion.

I seem to be encountering religious fundamentalism more and more these days. It seems as society in the UK has, in general, become more secular, the christian and islamic extremists appear more and more prepared to disrupt and spread discord. As a result I suppose I've become more conscious of the hard-won freedoms of our democratic society and that reason and critical thinking are cornerstones of our modern progressive, liberal democracy.

Anyway.........cheers everyone!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Silly Deity's post
26-08-2015, 12:03 PM
RE: Hello fellow primates
Welcome to the forum Smile

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
26-08-2015, 12:06 PM
Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
26-08-2015, 12:07 PM
*Waves tentacles in reply*

Hello! Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
26-08-2015, 12:09 PM
Well hello there, fellow bipedal Earthling.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
26-08-2015, 01:04 PM
Glad to see you here on TTA.

We Colonials are quite accustomed to having to duck into TTA to get away from our slathering, "the world is going to Hell and it's getting worse", rabid fundamentalists. Glad to see the Mother Country is getting a taste of this, and glad you've found our little place of refuge.

Welcome! Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
26-08-2015, 01:26 PM
(26-08-2015 09:04 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  I'm a middle-aged chap from the UK, where atheism/agnosticism is thankfully pretty common.

I was baptised into a Scottish presbyterian church by my parents who remained active church-goers all their lives but never shoved religion down my throat (or my younger brother's).

I came to the conclusion that all this religious claptrap was a waste of time when I was a teenager and while in hindsight I was probably agnostic for a number of years in my early twenties by the time I'd matured a bit I was definitely inclined to disbelief rather than mere indifference.

When I settled down and got married and became a father I felt that it was only fair to my daughter that she make up her own mind about religion and so didn't have her baptised. The only family member who seemed to have issues with this was my mother-in-law, but as she'd last set foot in church about 20 years previously, her reservations appeared to be more concerned with convention than belief. My daughter has of course grown up to be a very level-headed, caring and capable young woman of whom I'm very proud.............and who has never felt the need to embrace religion.

I seem to be encountering religious fundamentalism more and more these days. It seems as society in the UK has, in general, become more secular, the christian and islamic extremists appear more and more prepared to disrupt and spread discord. As a result I suppose I've become more conscious of the hard-won freedoms of our democratic society and that reason and critical thinking are cornerstones of our modern progressive, liberal democracy.

Anyway.........cheers everyone!

Welcome. I believe you are witnessing the death throes of religion.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-08-2015, 01:38 PM
(26-08-2015 01:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  Welcome. I believe you are witnessing the death throes of religion.

Dear god I pray that's true.
Big Grin

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
26-08-2015, 01:41 PM
(26-08-2015 01:38 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(26-08-2015 01:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  Welcome. I believe you are witnessing the death throes of religion.

Dear god I pray that's true.
Big Grin

[Image: th?id=JN.fTDEaEnQwuFQXskVe8xi%2fA&am...;amp;h=300]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
26-08-2015, 01:45 PM
Welcome. Scotitsh presbyterian hey? I think you will meet other godless sheep shagging bastards here.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post