Hello fellow primates

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2015, 01:52 PM
RE: Hello fellow primates
(26-08-2015 01:45 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  Welcome. Scotitsh presbyterian hey? I think you will meet other godless sheep shagging bastards here.

Well, that escalated quickly.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
26-08-2015, 05:50 PM
(26-08-2015 01:52 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(26-08-2015 01:45 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  Welcome. Scotitsh presbyterian hey? I think you will meet other godless sheep shagging bastards here.

Well, that escalated quickly.

I disagree, given this forums historic behavior I believe if it is escalated after 5 posts to in fact not be "quick". In fact I would go as far to say that if it happens after the 1st page it's actually rather late.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
26-08-2015, 05:57 PM
(26-08-2015 05:50 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I disagree, given this forums historic behavior I believe if it is escalated after 5 posts to in fact not be "quick". In fact I would go as far to say that if it happens after the 1st page it's actually rather late.

Well, posts 1 through 9 were all moderate in tone and #10 went right to sheep shagging. That may not be fast in New Zealand terms but hey, whatever gets you through the day.
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
26-08-2015, 06:08 PM
(26-08-2015 09:04 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  I'm a middle-aged chap from the UK, where atheism/agnosticism is thankfully pretty common.

I was baptised into a Scottish presbyterian church by my parents who remained active church-goers all their lives but never shoved religion down my throat (or my younger brother's).

I came to the conclusion that all this religious claptrap was a waste of time when I was a teenager and while in hindsight I was probably agnostic for a number of years in my early twenties by the time I'd matured a bit I was definitely inclined to disbelief rather than mere indifference.

When I settled down and got married and became a father I felt that it was only fair to my daughter that she make up her own mind about religion and so didn't have her baptised. The only family member who seemed to have issues with this was my mother-in-law, but as she'd last set foot in church about 20 years previously, her reservations appeared to be more concerned with convention than belief. My daughter has of course grown up to be a very level-headed, caring and capable young woman of whom I'm very proud.............and who has never felt the need to embrace religion.

I seem to be encountering religious fundamentalism more and more these days. It seems as society in the UK has, in general, become more secular, the christian and islamic extremists appear more and more prepared to disrupt and spread discord. As a result I suppose I've become more conscious of the hard-won freedoms of our democratic society and that reason and critical thinking are cornerstones of our modern progressive, liberal democracy.

Anyway.........cheers everyone!

Welcome aboard!

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
26-08-2015, 06:11 PM
Welcome!
[Image: 141761929fa249fc0586342e240327f9_zpsqh9x8eda.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
26-08-2015, 06:14 PM
Welcome! Hope you will like it here.

Sad to say when you mentioned Scottish presbyterian for some reason that I would walk Five Hundred Miles, and I would walk Five Hundred More, da, da dat-da song started tramping through my head.
26-08-2015, 09:24 PM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2015 10:07 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
Pablo - I KNEW that avatar picture was a younger version of you.

The true "current" photo of you comes out in this last post. Man, you look terrible, now! Shoulda used skin cream and sunblock. Tongue

(Not that I have room to talk.)

[Image: th?id=JN.anl2Th2AQWrB0ahJZRp1Xg&...;amp;h=300]

Edit to Add: A fuzzy-headed baby gorilla. Perfect. Decided that needs to be my new avatar. Big Grin

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
27-08-2015, 02:06 AM
Welcome!

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
27-08-2015, 06:19 AM
Welcome to the forum. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
27-08-2015, 06:23 AM
Fáilte! Greetings from the Emerald Isle.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí