Hello from Albany!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2016, 07:21 PM
Hello from Albany!
I'm Mark, from Albany, NY. (User Name is a reference to the band Rush.)

My parents smartly raised my sister and I with no religion, letting us choose for ourselves as we got older. I've always been very secular, with a distaste for the preachiness of the extremely devout. I briefly flirted with "woo" (New Age stuff) in my early 20s, but mostly I've identified as agnostic, secular humanist... and now atheist. About a year ago now, after watching YouTube debates with Hitch, Sam Harris, and Dawkins; listening to Julia Sweeney's Letting Go of God; reading about the evidence for evolution; and learning what a mess the Bible is. I've been a fan of TTA for a year - a subscriber, who's also listened to many of the older episodes. (Favorite is #198, with Carrier, Fitzgerald, and Dr. Price.)

I'm fortunate in that I never had to overcome indoctrination, and being accepted as a non-believer isn't much of a problem here in the liberal northeast. Albany was recently ranked one of the most non-religious cities in America... so I'm in the right place! Just wish the COUNTRY was as non-religious as Sweden, Finland, the U.K....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GeddyRulz's post
24-05-2016, 07:25 PM
RE: Hello from Albany!
Welcome Mark, you'll find some more Rush fans here. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
24-05-2016, 07:29 PM
Hey there.
I'm also from NY. ^^

☆☆☆
[+] 1 user Likes CosmicRaven's post
24-05-2016, 07:44 PM
Howdy, Mark. Shy

Fun fact:
I never saw an actual picture of, or footage of, Geddy Lee until I well into my 20's...
I thought he was a she. Blush

Don't hate. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
25-05-2016, 06:35 AM
Hello Mark, welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
25-05-2016, 07:13 AM
Hello Mark. Nice to meet you. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post
25-05-2016, 05:52 PM
(24-05-2016 07:21 PM)GeddyRulz Wrote:  I'm Mark, from Albany, NY. (User Name is a reference to the band Rush.)

My parents smartly raised my sister and I with no religion, letting us choose for ourselves as we got older. I've always been very secular, with a distaste for the preachiness of the extremely devout. I briefly flirted with "woo" (New Age stuff) in my early 20s, but mostly I've identified as agnostic, secular humanist... and now atheist. About a year ago now, after watching YouTube debates with Hitch, Sam Harris, and Dawkins; listening to Julia Sweeney's Letting Go of God; reading about the evidence for evolution; and learning what a mess the Bible is. I've been a fan of TTA for a year - a subscriber, who's also listened to many of the older episodes. (Favorite is #198, with Carrier, Fitzgerald, and Dr. Price.)

I'm fortunate in that I never had to overcome indoctrination, and being accepted as a non-believer isn't much of a problem here in the liberal northeast. Albany was recently ranked one of the most non-religious cities in America... so I'm in the right place! Just wish the COUNTRY was as non-religious as Sweden, Finland, the U.K....

I wish we were as advanced as the Scandinavian countries as well. Weeping

Alas, welcome aboard Thumbsup

Let me know if you need anything

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
25-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Hi Mark. Welcome to the forum.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.