Hello from Charlotte, NC
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2011, 11:16 AM
RE: Hello from Charlotte, NC
(26-05-2011 08:49 AM)jafowler Wrote:  Hello! I just wanted to introduce myself. I really and truly understand exactly what you are talking about as I have lived a very similar situation. I have also had my life centered around church activities and friends. I also know EXACTLY what you mean about living in the bible belt and being nonreligious. I also live in Charlotte. However, I am finding a network of people with similar values and if you are looking for a support system, I may just be able to assist you. Stay strong!

Hi Jafowler,

I'm in kind of a state of flux at the moment in my life. I recently stopped going to church officially in January but I had been pulling away for a long time and going weeks without attending. I spent over 10 years in this church trying to form bonds and friendships and now that I've left I think most of them don't want anything to do with me. It's hard having centered my social life around these people and now having to find a new support system. I've joined a couple mom's groups to try to meet mom's outside of church and religion. So far it's tough because I want to talk about more than just coupons, recipes, and potty training techniques. Being atheist is just one part of who I am. I'm interested in a myriad of things but I feel like when I was in the church women weren't supposed to talk about politics, sex, history, art, movies, books, etc. I joined the mom's groups to find women similar in age and life experience but so far trying to build a new set of friends feels like I'm on the dating scene again. LOL. I'm definitely looking for a group of noncrazy people that leave religion out of things.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2011, 11:32 AM
(21-04-2011 10:49 AM)Raven Wrote:  Hi GassyKitten. Thank you so much. I'm working through things each day. BTW I love your name. I'm sure there's a story behind it. My cat Merlin has silent but deadly ones after his fish flavored cat food. Big Grin

Raven Smile
There's nothing in the world like a cat fart, at least not this side of their visit to the litter box. Blush

Yes, there is a story behind my SN. I had lurked here at TTA for a little while and was thinking of joining one morning, as I lay in bed ready to begin my day and wondering what name I'd register under. Just then my kitten jumped up on my chest and headbutted my chin with her good morning mommy cuddle's, hunkered down in that slow lazy cat C yoga move, turned around stood up with butt and cheeks fully exposed and poofed right over my face about 6 inches away.
Better than an alarm clock, let me tell ya. Confused

The SN was born. Gassy Kitten. Tongue

Small world, too. I have a cat named Raven and a little boy cat named Merlin.
Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Welcome to a group of (mostly) non-crazies Raven!
Try using the "where are you from" map. you might find someone in here that live close to you. Or make it easier for others to find you.
A little comment, if I may. You do not have a lack of belief. Calling it a lack of belief implies that you somehow have more than the necessary amount of belief. It's sufficient to say that you have no belief.
I'm glad we can welcome yet another member to our merry gang. I hope you become a regular.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply