Hello from Chicago!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Hello from Chicago!
Hello!
My name is Sean, but in the future would like to be referred to by my username, abbreviated "Ecks" or "Eck". I am 15 and a half years old and live in the suburbs of Chicago, Illinois.

My Religious Background
I hear lots of coming out stories and religious backgrounds of other atheists and find that many of them came from fundamentalist families. However, that's probably because those are the kinds of stories people want to hear, sad, devastating.
Unlike those stories, I came from a household of two Catholic parents who didn't participate in Church or teach me religion as a child, as far as I can remember at least. The only thing that comes close is when my grandfather died when I was 3 years old and I learned what death was. My parents, to cheer me up, told me about Heaven and how I'd see him and all my grandparents one day when they died. Besides this, I was almost never exposed to religion by my parents.
HOWEVER, my grandmother on my father's side was very religious, and so were my cousins, and aunts, and uncles. That is probably where I got the most religious exposure, celebrating Easter and Christmas. Luckily, that side of the family was never taught Creationism or that the Bible was the INFALLIBLE WORD OF GOD. The other side of my family is much larger than my father's side, and has a lot more religious family members. Some believed the Bible literally, while others never really seemed to talk about it. Sometimes, I would receive a Christ necklace and other Christian bling, which I would graciously accept. Overall, my parents and my parent's family never really impacted my belief or disbelief.
But still, I was somehow able to get sucked into thinking all of it was true, who knows how. I thought to myself to read the entire Bible, understand, try to find hidden secrets in it(like Newton), and so on. Good thing that was just a phase!

My turn
In 8th grade, at 13 years old, I got more and more interested in politics. I started to read all kinds of CNN articles and looked for news and things on Youtube. I really wanted to expand my mind on all kinds of topics, except religion was not a focus. It was one day that I stumbled upon an Amazing Atheist video, and that is where I got hooked to videos regarding religion, and after not too long, I was calling myself an atheist.
I wasn't thinking about what my purpose of life was or any of the other questions that many people think have to be answered by the existence of a supernatural being. It wasn't until this year, 2014, when I turned 15 years old that I really started thinking about big life questions. I spent many days thinking to myself outside while looking out into the night sky with the night's gentle breeze on my skin. I tackled why believers think they need a supernatural being to give them a purpose in life, and I questioned why you would need to believe in life after death in order to have a purpose in the now. Atheism has really changed my perspective on the world and the future, a perspective not worth getting into any detail now Big Grin.

Hobbies/Interests
I'm only a Sophomore in High School, but right now I am very interested in Astronomy simply because of the wonder and the vast unknown that is our universe. By nature, I am a curious human being, and I want to dedicate my life's work to possibly making new discoveries in the "wonder and vast unknown" that is our universe. Besides that Laugh out load I like almost all sciences, philosophy, writing, reading(meh), chess, and RELIGION(duh). I will probably be most active in the science and philosophy sections of the forum, and if I ever feel like it, I may post some of my literary work later on, even though it is amateur.

Anyway...
I am hoping to be a participating member of this forum and hopefully add a new perspective, and if not new, my perspective, to this community.

Any questions? REPLY!

Thanks,
Eck
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ecksperience's post
05-10-2014, 10:09 PM
RE: Hello from Chicago!
Welcome to the forum! I like your intro. Looking forward to reading your posts.
Cool

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
06-10-2014, 06:07 AM
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for the well-written intro. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-10-2014, 06:10 AM
Welcome neighbor! Thumbsup
06-10-2014, 06:29 AM
Somebody who is 15, able to write in complete sentences, with a sense of humor, who has thought about things beyond his immediate needs.... wow. It almost gives me hope that there's a chance for humanity!
Thumbsup

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
07-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Welcome aboard Ecks. Smile You're lucky having grown up with Catholic parents who didn't practice religion. I grew up with Catholic parents who did. Those masses could put anyone to sleep! Sleepy

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.