Hello from Des Moines, Iowa

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Hello from Des Moines, Iowa
Hello

Thanks to iTunes and podcasts I found Seth's excellent programs a couple of months ago. After the first one I was hooked and had soon listened to them all. I friended the FB page sometime in the last couple months as well.

I've considered myself an agnostic for probably 15-20 years, but I don't know why. I don't know what possible 'maybe' I was kidding myself could exist. I am an atheist, and truth-be-told I have been for that 15-20 years.

I have no fear in accepting we are 'alone'. I have no fear in proclaiming the wild stories, tales, myths and plagiarized texts of the Bible as false. I have no fear in accepting a chimp is my long-distant cousin.

I harbor no anger towards Christians, the church, etc. I can no more prove the lack of a creator than they can prove the existence of a creator. As long as someone doesn't try to convert me, I have zero issue with how they chose to life their life. It is their business. However, it is when they attempt to use their religion as the basis in laws, teachings, etc., that I have a problem.

Anyway, glad to have found Seth, TTA, the FB group, and now this forum.

Karl

Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2011, 06:07 AM

RE: Hello from Des Moines, Iowa
Welcome Karl! I'm relatively new here myself. Do you consider yourself an "uncloseted atheist" in that the people around you know about your atheism?
Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2011, 04:02 PM
The people around me who would have reason to know. Religion, or lack thereof, is not a common subject of conversation.
17-03-2011, 09:54 PM
I too try my hardest to never mention religion. Now that I'm back to work though it's becoming a problem again.

Good to hear you already found so much help with this group. I'm more a non-theist than an atheist, it's not that I'm agnostic and searching for my own truth but I could care less about theism in general. It makes good stories occasionally, and to me that's most of what it does. I think a certain amount of willingness to believe in that which is called supernatural will afford you safety if in fact something turns out to be true. Would suck to have run into something, and not seen the signs because you pay no attention to the supernatural and monster legends.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
18-03-2011, 10:51 AM

(17-03-2011 04:02 PM)karlt10 Wrote:  Religion, or lack thereof, is not a common subject of conversation.

I find that a common thread in the USA among a variety of topics including race, sexual orientation, as well as religion.

Is it any wonder why problems related to these issues perpetuate? We keep sweeping these topics under the rug -> they never get discussed -> misperceptions do not get corrected -> problems persist.
Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm not worried about 'correcting misconceptions'. First of all, what someone chooses to believe with regards to religion and/or a creator is their business, and for them to decide if it's 'right or wrong'.

Someone's beliefs are only of concern to me when they attempt to force them onto me, or they use them as justification for something done that impacts me.

What atheists need to keep in mind is we cannot prove there is no creator just as they can't prove there is one.
18-03-2011, 04:13 PM
(18-03-2011 10:58 AM)karlt10 Wrote:  What atheists need to keep in mind is we cannot prove there is no creator just as they can't prove there is one.

It is impossible to prove a universal negative. It is much easier to prove that something exists. If they haven't come up with one verifiable piece of evidence in 5,000 plus years, then the only thing that they can stand on is the fact that "no one can prove a universal negative". That doesn't give me any confidence in their arguement, but it gives me a huge confidence in our arguement.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
18-03-2011, 07:54 PM
(18-03-2011 10:58 AM)karlt10 Wrote:  I'm not worried about 'correcting misconceptions'. First of all, what someone chooses to believe with regards to religion and/or a creator is their business, and for them to decide if it's 'right or wrong'.

Someone's beliefs are only of concern to me when they attempt to force them onto me, or they use them as justification for something done that impacts me.

What atheists need to keep in mind is we cannot prove there is no creator just as they can't prove there is one.

I tend to think pretty much the way you do. You leave me alone, I leave you alone. Wink

Welcome!
(17-03-2011 09:54 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I too try my hardest to never mention religion. Now that I'm back to work though it's becoming a problem again.

Really? Already? How/why?

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
18-03-2011, 08:04 PM
(18-03-2011 10:58 AM)karlt10 Wrote:  What atheists need to keep in mind is we cannot prove there is no creator just as they can't prove there is one.

Oh really. Let's see.

Creationists believe the universe was created by god, why and how exactly, they don't know, but they leave it at that.
Scientific-minded people say the universe came into being through and out of itself, not quite sure how exactly, and for what purpose if any, but we're looking into it.
So what has the addition of god brought into this equation? Nothing.
Adding or subtracting by nothing doesn't change anything, so god = 0.
Ergo, there is no god.

Problem, theists?

All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid.
-- It keeps me warm.
19-03-2011, 06:29 AM
(18-03-2011 07:54 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  Really? Already? How/why?

I take the bus to and from my new job. It's 2-3 hours of riding with whoever, and this leads to being forced into hearing theological discussions pretty often.
Sometimes even being dragged into them. I'm trying to be passive about it, because I have no idea what would happen if I got argumentative in a crowd of people and an enclosed space. I need the bus to get to work, would be nice if people would just shut up about it.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.