Hello from Jersey

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2011, 11:16 AM

Wink Hello from Jersey
Hello all!

After browsing the forums a bit while waiting for Stark to manually activate my account due to some technical glitch (I can almost hear a believer saying "It was God that made it so difficult for you to join. He is trying to tell you something!"), I was debating whether to add an introduction in the single thread or as others have done, create a new one. Needless to say, my narcissistic need for attention won out. Plus, it will give me a chance to flex my writing muscles. So here I am. Prepare to read! Tongue

My name is Dan, I'm 36, and I'm a programmer. I was raised Roman Catholic but to be honest I never truly felt like there was a God. I just did things; prayer, church, etc. because that's what I was taught. And while I never, until recently, explored the depths of my atheism I know that I never really believed in the concept of a God.

I've been married for just over 4 years to a woman who was raised Muslim. She does not consider herself Muslim any longer although she does believe in a supernatural force of creation. Her current beliefs are a bit of a hodge-podge of various beliefs. Believes in a soul. Doesn't believe in the Bible's version of creation per se but does believe that humans were created in some way. To her credit she does believe that all religions are a farce and are man-made structures built to control people. I'm still working on her subtly but even if she never comes around to atheism, I'll be happy that she has at least shed the binds of religion. Regardless, she doesn't inflict her beliefs on me or our son so if it works for her, I don't have a problem with it. We both scoff at religion with the same level of moral contempt.

That said, I consider it a victory that we have both agreed to raise our son, Émile, free from religion. Big Grin

Going back to my statement regarding never really exploring my atheism, I think I'll relate a small story that I'm rather proud of and which kicked off my decision to be an "active" atheist. Prior to this incidenct, I was a casual atheist. I didn't give it much though, it was just how I felt, and I never felt the need to discuss it with anyone.

To get to the point, I've been at my current employer for around 20 months. At about the 6 month mark, which coincided with mid-January, I requested to use my "personal floater" to take off on Martin Luther King day which my wife's employer considered a company holiday. After requesting this, HR contacted me and stated that I could not take this day off as it is not a religious holiday and the "personal floater" is actually a "religious floater". I checked the "Vacation Request Form" and sure enough, in the bottom right hand corner was a field for "Religious Floater".

I got back in touch with HR and asked them if this "religious floater" pertained to everyone in the company. When she responded, "Yes.", I asked how it pertains to employees like myself, who are atheist. Her initial response was along the lines of, "Well, people just ask for whatever day off and say it's for a religious holiday anyway." I responded that as an atheist, it went against my personal code of ethics to pretend to be religious for the sake of a floating holiday. She said she would get back to me and the next day, I was given an apology and the "Vacation Request Form" was changed to read "Personal Floating Holiday" rather than "Religious Floating Holiday." Small victory, I know, but it still felt REALLY GOOD to stand up for what I believe in. It was at that moment, when I evinced change on behalf of my atheism, that I began to develop a greater interest in it and others like me. From that day on I've been devouring books by staple atheist authors, listening to podcasts at work, and seeking to find more people like me to share thoughts, interests, and conversation without religion or the supernatural retarding the discussion.

A few little interests of mine, I love music of all kinds although I am partial to jazz, Radiohead, Portishead, Tom Waits, Tool, A Perfect Circle), am big into watches, and motorcycles (specifically Ducati).

So here I am! I'm very excited to get to know you all and participate in the forums.
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2011, 12:43 PM

RE: Hello from Jersey
[Image: 4.gif]

Well, hello Dan. [Image: 5.gif] I think you'll fit in nicely here. Smile
08-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Welcome. Your story put a smile on my face, nice little victory there. Are you from north or south jersey?

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Welcome to the boards!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-03-2011, 06:31 AM

Thanks for the welcome!

cfh - I'm from North Jersey. Bloomfield.
09-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Hey Dan. Glad you made it!
Great story, and I really like that instead of barking about religion getting privledges like floating holidays, you approached it by expressing how you felt it immoral to pretend to be religous. To me that shows respect for others beliefs, but at the same time, demands respect for yours.
Glad to have you here.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
09-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Welcome, good story! You're fortunate to have an employer who can be accepting.

Love APC too. Welcome!

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
09-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Hi. I'm new to the site too (my thread is below yours).

If I'm ever lucky enough to be employed again, I'm keeping my atheism to myself. I'm not skilled enough to risk any prejudices against me.

Props to you though for having the balls to stand up for atheism!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-03-2011, 02:10 PM
(09-03-2011 06:31 AM)SANSD8TY Wrote:  Thanks for the welcome!

cfh - I'm from North Jersey. Bloomfield.
Gotcha. I lived in SJ for 5 years. Do they charge you guys to leave upstate Joisey, or was that reserved for those of us living down below?

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
10-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Welcome to this awesome forum, nice to see the world slowly waking up (:

Truths, and not knowing things are better than having a belief into something (;

"don't jump to conclusions until your 99%"

"dreams are the best source of creativity" me