Hello from Jersey

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2011, 08:31 AM

RE: Hello from Jersey
@cfh - I'm not sure what you mean. Charge you to leave?

(09-03-2011 07:44 PM)13mentaculus Wrote:  If I'm ever lucky enough to be employed again, I'm keeping my atheism to myself. I'm not skilled enough to risk any prejudices against me.

I must admit that I have the fortune of having a wife with a Masters in Human Resource Development who works as an Employee Relations Consultant for a large nationwide health insurance company. She negotiates salaries, terminations, union deliberation, etc. on behalf of the company. She knows the the legalese of employment law inside and out and assured me that what my company was doing was discrimination on religious grounds and if they refused to budge on the issue, I would have had an easy time in court and won a lot of money on the grounds of religious discrimination.

It's one thing to keep your atheism to yourself in the workplace, especially being in Texas (I lived in Dallas for 4 of the worst years of my life alongside the most backwoods/uncultured/holy rolling ignoramuses I've ever had the displeasure of knowing), however it's another thing entirely if an employer has a policy which discriminates against you based on race, creed, sex, or religion. And that's when you have to stand up and demand equal treatment else they suffer the consequences under rule of law.

I truly believe that despite my personal worries about the direction of this country, that I am fortunate to be alive. At 36 years old, I have enough knowledge of the world before the computer age but am young enough to have understanding of it's infancy and the rapid growth it's brought. I feel this is important in that it is serving as the catalyst for the fast spread of atheism. No more can theists get their word out without being met by question and scrutiny and challenged by reason and logic. And it's all online for all the world to see. This will lead to what I believe is the fast approaching twilight of primitive religion and superstition giving way to the dawn of the truth, logic, and atheism.

Such a construct...and all simply because some of us are afraid to die. The question is, afraid to die because of things left undone or the reluctance to leave a full and happy life? Religion is an enabler, allowing those who believe in it to trust that they can meander through life unremarkably and continue on for eternity in the afterlife. I choose atheism that encourages me to do all that I can in the precious little time that I am given so that when I am about to leave this mortal coil, I can be proud of the legacy I've left behind.
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2011, 08:50 PM
(11-03-2011 08:31 AM)SANSD8TY Wrote:  @cfh - I'm not sure what you mean. Charge you to leave?
Yup. It was the joke of all my Ohio based friends. No matter which way we drove out of Jersey we had to cross a bridge, and there is invariably a toll to pay to cross the bridge and get out of Jersey. It was free to get in. We paid to get out.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2011, 10:29 AM

LOL never heard that one!
12-03-2011, 10:48 AM
(09-03-2011 06:31 AM)SANSD8TY Wrote:  cfh - I'm from North Jersey. Bloomfield.

If more people were from NJ the world would be a better place. I grew up in Monmouth County, lived in different parts of the state and my last stint (99 - 08) my wife and I lived in Maplewood, not at all far from you in Bloomfield. The taxes were killing me though and I packed up and moved to Bucks County in PA. If you know where New Hope is, I'm pretty close to there.

Miss Jersey, though. Not the cost and not the politics, but the state in general I miss.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
16-03-2011, 09:51 AM

I hear you BnW. Maplewood is fantastic. We recently purchased our home and Maplewood was in our list of top 5 locations, based on diversity (I am white, my wife is black). Maplewood would have won out but as you said, the taxes were exorbitant not to mention the house prices!
17-03-2011, 06:51 AM
Housing prices are high, no doubt, but they are not nearly the highest in the area. The Hood is a bargain compared to Westfield, Summit, Millburn, and a few others. But, it's definitely not cheap. My wife and I bought our house in early 1999 and sold it during the crash for 2X what we paid. The house we bought here in the sticks is literally 2X as big (3100 sq ft vs. 1550 sq ft) with twice the property, and it was almost $100k less then the house we sold, and 40% the taxes. It's nice here too, but I do miss NJ and being 15 miles outside of NYC. My commute to the city is a bee-yotch now. 2 hours door to door. Luckily I can work from home a bunch of days.

You're spot on about the diversity in Maplewood, though. Black/white wouldn't even raise an eyebrow, but the area in general is more or less that way. The down side of living where we live now is how homogeneous it is. Everyone is just lilly white here. Makes me slightly uncomfortable to be honest.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost