Hello from Missouri

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Hello from Missouri
Hi,

Just thought I'd join the forum to connect with some like minded folks. I have never practiced a religion, though I spent many years trying be a spiritual person, but that is the past. Today, I am an atheist and quite comfortable with it.

Over the past year, I have become increasingly interested in science, especially cosmology. I just finished reading "A Universe from Nothing", by Lawrence Kruass and that book spiked an appetitie to learn more about this amazing universe. The real story of the cosmos as unfolded through scientific discovery is more interesting, beautiful and incredible than any silly story invented by the various religions of the world.

I'm not sure how active I will be on this forum or what contribution I will make, but hopefully it will be worth while.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2012, 09:21 PM
RE: Hello from Missouri
Welcome!

[Image: vjp09.gif]
21-10-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm sure it will be plenty worthwhile.

Welcome.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
21-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Welcome to the forum! Take it slowly or dive right in like I do... Like this:

Why are hemorrhoids called hemorrhoids and asteroids called asteroids? shouldn't it be the other way around? Then again, your doctor wouldn't be a proctologist, they'd be an astronaut.

*bah dum bum!*

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
21-10-2012, 09:40 PM
Welcome to TTA. I'm currently reading "A Universe from Nothing" as well. I'm on page 60-something.

If you're interested in cosmology, you should check out Carl Sagan's works.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
21-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Your contributions are already worthwhile by virtue of your decision to join us.
Welcome!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
22-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
22-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Hai have fun Smile

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
22-10-2012, 04:32 PM
I took my time with the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. You can also find some talks he has given on the subject on You Tube.

I will check out Sagan. I have been watching a lot do science documentaries on Netflix.

(21-10-2012 09:40 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Welcome to TTA. I'm currently reading "A Universe from Nothing" as well. I'm on page 60-something.

If you're interested in cosmology, you should check out Carl Sagan's works.
22-10-2012, 05:12 PM
(22-10-2012 04:32 PM)JDS Wrote:  I took my time with the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. You can also find some talks he has given on the subject on You Tube.

I will check out Sagan. I have been watching a lot do science documentaries on Netflix.
Unfortunately, I have a hard time finding the time to watch his discussion with Richard Dawkins on the matter. For anyone who's interested, I'm talking about this video:

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]