Hello from Norway.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Hello from Norway.
Hello! I'm a a 21 year old Norwegian guy living in Oslo, I'm a university student studying game design. I let go fully of religion for about 4 months ago, and I told my parents that I am a Atheist this Christmas. They think I'm just in some sort of phase so I would not say that they have fully accepted it yet. They are disappointed but at least they respect my choice.
So as I was typing this I just felt the urge to share my story and how I ended up as an Atheist, It's nothing special but I feel like I have to get it off my chest.

I grew up in a christian home, In what I would call the Norwegian bible belt. I would say I was pretty brain washed from the get-go. As a kid I was Bombarded with christian media-,cartoons, movies and books etc etc. I was forced to go on every Sunday-meeting, Tears did not help. Hearing my mother and father preach in their house church (or Cell group I guess you can call it) was what mattered, same rules applied to my two younger brothers.
As a young child I did not know of anything else then Christianity as the only answer to everything. I was not allowed to watch documentaries that contradicted my parents belief, but my parents loved nature programs. So at occasions we would watch one that they thought would be 'safe'. while watching documentary a sentence like "..and what you can see here evolved from.." my mother and father would let out a long sigh while making a "tsk" sound and shake their heads slowly. This meant that they obviously did not approve of what was just said on the TV.
But as a kid there were two things they could never make me loose interest in, and it was dinosaurs and Astronauts. I remember having a VHS recording of a space shuttle counting down to takeoff for then to shoot towards the stars, I would watch it over and over again. Once I got up in middle of the night to watch Jurassic park, I don't think have ever been that scared and excited at one. Anyways, Christianity still managed to keep me in the dark , but after encountering small fragments of teachings of evolution and the big bang theory some rays of enlightenment had started to get through.(At that time I was about 9 or 10 I think) My mom and dad kept telling me that it was all wrong, but they could not tell me where the Dinosaurs fitted in in the timeline according to the bible. but as I kept getting bombarded with Christian believes and teachings on a daily basis and nuked on Sundays my own thoughts and arguments got shuffled in to a dark corner by the elephant in the room that was Christianity. From that point on things stayed the same for a long time.

About 6 years later I believed in Christianity just because that was the only thing I knew, I also went to a christian private school which did not help on my growing ignorance toward science,at that time dinosaurs and Astronauts had been pushed far away. Around this time my closest friend dropped a huge bomb that really messed with me and my beliefs . my family , my close friend and his family was traveling to a Christian summer camp. The night before the camp started Me and him was laying in our beds talking, he suddenly got quiet for a few moments, Then he asked me; "Something happened to me last week.. I'll let you guess, what would you say is most likely, that I had sex with a female teacher or that I'm gay? (there was a 3 option but I can't for the life of me remember it.) My obvious answer was that he had had sex with a teacher, even though I found it hard to believe, he could not be gay? could he ? We had been friends since we where 6-7 years old, we had had countless sleepovers, talked about girls we liked and so on, him being gay had never even crossed my mind. So it came as lightning from clear sky when I heard his answer. "No.. I'm gay" He said. When looking back I still have a hard time putting those feelings i felt at that moment in to words. I was taught that being gay was wrong , a sin and something unholy. But he was my best friend, he was sent to counselling, if you can call it that, to the preacher who ran the summer camp. Who had told him to suppress any gay feelings. But he did the opposite, at least for a few years. He was my best friend, he was also the first gay person I had ever met,we both ended up floating apart from each other , If we had not been Christians we would most likely still be friends, or so I want to believe. Now he is leading the worship in a chruch while suppressing his true feelings. (If we where ever to catch up I would be the one dropping the bomb now, as I'm a atheist.)

So after that the belief I had been given as a child started to fade ever so slowly. Not because of enlightenment through science. No, I was just mad, mad and fed up with god. So as the years went by and I turned 18 I was actually looking for proof that god existed, I was starting to doubt again as I had done as a child, but this time it was a much stronger feeling, I felt lost and confused as if everything my parents had thought me were wrong .So I filled the doubt with the young earth theory that a man by the name Kent Hovind aka Dr dino, managed to convince my desperate christian mind was true.
Two more years passed and I moved away from home to start my study in video game design. now that I was finally not constantly bombarded by christian believes, rules and condemnation of enlightened thought. I started to watch scientific documentaries in peace. One night I came upon the video that gave my christian view of the world a serious blow, and I think it was called "Stephen Hawking's Universe - Into the Universe". Watching the intro of the video now brings a tear to my eye.

Over the next half year I was just arguing with myself. In the end it came down to why was I still believing ? The only thing that I could think of was if I believed in Jesus I would at least go to heaven if it existed, but with further thought I concluded with that I did not believe anymore. I reflected back on my past and I just could not find any divine intervention of any kind. But I did remember all the wasted prayers ,for example, my smallest brother has been lying mostly in his bed for the past 3 years because of a football accident, he has been prayed for countless times and he has not gotten any better. Why would god let a 13 year old boy loose his last years of childhood and high school in a bed? I love my brother and seeing him giving up on everything kills me.
The finishing blow though to what was left of my belief was "Richard dawkins the god delusion".That book grabbed me and pulled me into the light.

The poetry of science is amazingly beautiful, I have never been happier.
Science will also hopefully save my brother as he is going to have surgery soon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like That Norwegian Guy's post
22-01-2012, 11:06 PM
RE: Hello from Norway.
Hey, TNG. Welcome to TTA and thanks for sharing your story. Science is good. Let's hope for a successful surgery for your bro.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
22-01-2012, 11:44 PM
TNG you're awesome Smile Well DONE for navigating the maze. Now good little mouse gets scientific cheese Wink

But seriously, that's some heavy shit you've had to put up with. Hope your brother's operation is successful.
23-01-2012, 01:19 AM
Hi TN Guy,
Looks like you've had a long and interesting journey. It's a good idea you have - to keep your brother in a good frame of mind for his operation. He'll need your support for strength and to be well; we know praying will just waste everyone's time. Wink
Our natural world is indeed amazing and beautiful -I'm glad you've found your way to seeing it clearly.

Smile Welcome to the forum.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
23-01-2012, 09:17 AM
That an interesting story.

Welcome and such.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
23-01-2012, 12:52 PM
(22-01-2012 11:06 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Hey, TNG.

Oh hai.

Big Grin My initials

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
23-01-2012, 01:51 PM
glad to have you on here! Keep searching for more truth and science. I love science too and that too is what changed my mind too. Once you open your mind to the truth it is like the blinders have been taken off. All my best to you and I hope the best for your brother. At least your country has health care. Not like this country (USA) were it is only the rich or insured have it. All the rest get screwed.
23-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Thanks guys, and thanks for the well-wishes and supporting words for my brother. I live 12 hours away from him and my family, so I only see him 4-5 weeks per year. But Skype keeps us connected.
23-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Hello and welcome, mistah
Want some warm tea or cocoa? Norway is a bit cold these days, I believe so better have something warm.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-01-2012, 03:34 PM
(23-01-2012 02:58 PM)Leela Wrote:  Hello and welcome, mistah
Want some warm tea or cocoa? Norway is a bit cold these days, I believe so better have something warm.

Thanks, I would not mind something warm, But to be honest I love the winter, especially when it is this cold as we can see northern Lights pretty much all across the country. And the colder it gets, the better the snow gets for skiing, powder snow is amazing Big Grin