Hello from Ohio

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Hello from Ohio
Hey there. I'm finally being honest with myself about my atheism. I was raised in a family that was, thankfully, pretty open minded, and we rarely went to church (Lutheral was officially the "family religion", but it was rarely practiced). I fell out of that belief relatively quickly. 5th grade, I believe. Afterwards, I tooled around with various religious concepts. Moderate christianity, even Wicca. Anything to help me justify my distaste in fundamentalism while still having an invisible friend to talk to, basically.

I slowly slipped to agnosticism, and from there, the trip to atheism was really fast. It was aided, thankfully, by the likes of Richard Dawkins and his writings, Thunderf00t's YouTube channel, and the Thinking Atheist, as well.

I just wanted to say hello, and thank every last one of you for having the courage to say who you are. Just knowing you are out there helped me admit it to myself, too.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2012, 05:05 AM
RE: Hello from Ohio
Welcome aboard, enjoy your time here Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
01-10-2012, 07:46 AM
(01-10-2012 12:14 AM)TJWolfhawk Wrote:  Hey there. I'm finally being honest with myself about my atheism. I was raised in a family that was, thankfully, pretty open minded, and we rarely went to church (Lutheral was officially the "family religion", but it was rarely practiced). I fell out of that belief relatively quickly. 5th grade, I believe. Afterwards, I tooled around with various religious concepts. Moderate christianity, even Wicca. Anything to help me justify my distaste in fundamentalism while still having an invisible friend to talk to, basically.

I slowly slipped to agnosticism, and from there, the trip to atheism was really fast. It was aided, thankfully, by the likes of Richard Dawkins and his writings, Thunderf00t's YouTube channel, and the Thinking Atheist, as well.

I just wanted to say hello, and thank every last one of you for having the courage to say who you are. Just knowing you are out there helped me admit it to myself, too.

Welcome; jump in.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-10-2012, 07:48 AM
Welcome!

[Image: vjp09.gif]
01-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Hey there, Buckeye. Thumbsup

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My