Hello from Russia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2013, 04:01 AM
Hello from Russia
Hello thinkers!

I'm 29 and originally from Moscow, but now studying math in Dutch university. I found TTA podcast by pure chance on iTunes. And after listening to several episodes it has become one of my favourite shows.

It is sad times for all Russian atheists because current government agenda is to foist all sorts of religious nonsense to the nation. Church activists are on TV, trying to discredit any schientific thinking with their favourite worn-out arguments ("evolution is only a hypothesis", "chance of getting a DNA assembled correctly is null").

Thats as far as "official" religion is concerned.

Another big group of believers is "new agers". Without any deep understanding, they put Christian, Pagan, Mayan, Hindu myths into a blender and shake it well Smile
Lace it with words like "energy", "astral body", "quantum", "ethereal" - and bizarre cocktail is ready to drink.

I'm happy to see that TTA attracted many individuals who still value logic and reason. Together we shall stand up against human ignorance Smile

With my deepest respect to this community,
Cas.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2013, 04:11 AM
RE: Hello from Russia
Добро пожаловать Smile

Hope you enjoy your stay here. And I totally know what you mean about all that new age crap. You probably don't remember him, but Кашпировский was a huge hit over here sometime ago Weeping

(Whereabouts in Holland are you studying? I wanted to go to Leiden or Groningen, but it didn't work out).

Smile

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
30-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Welcome to TTA!

[Image: vjp09.gif]
30-01-2013, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 06:20 PM by GirlyMan.)
(30-01-2013 04:01 AM)CRM-114 Wrote:  Another big group of believers is "new agers". Without any deep understanding, they put Christian, Pagan, Mayan, Hindu myths into a blender and shake it well Smile
Lace it with words like "energy", "astral body", "quantum", "ethereal" - and bizarre cocktail is ready to drink.

Welcome and I'm thinking I kinda wanna try me some of that shit. Big Grin

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
30-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Welcome to my world my friend.

Many atheists in my area are also deluded with mysticism, new age pseudoscience, and alternative medicines. It's a lot of work disproving and dispelling all these crazy notions but somebody has to bring reason to them.

Offer a bit of thinking, and then move on from there.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
06-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Another big group of believers is "new agers". Without any deep
understanding, they put Christian, Pagan, Mayan, Hindu myths into a
blender and shake it well.

Welcome. That was also what I did while still trying to believe.
[+] 1 user Likes wisergeek's post
06-02-2013, 09:06 PM
(30-01-2013 07:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-01-2013 04:01 AM)CRM-114 Wrote:  Another big group of believers is "new agers". Without any deep understanding, they put Christian, Pagan, Mayan, Hindu myths into a blender and shake it well Smile

Welcome and I'm thinking I wanna try me some of that shit. Big Grin

You would. Tongue

Welcome. I find what you say very interesting. Hope to hear more.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes smidgen's post
06-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Ha! Another Rooskie to share this piece of American Pie with.

I like you already, comrade Tongue

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
08-02-2013, 10:02 PM

Hello CRM-114. Like you i am not of american stock, or at least not in my way of thinking anyway. I hope you enjoy your time on TTA.

Oh and about paganism, guys. I would like to shed some light on the situation, being a former wiccan for a time.

Wicca celebrates the worship of the earth, as our ancestors did long ago, and actual pagans and wiccans dont mesh up the trinity of the worst religions on the planet, christios judeos and islamabaz, into a big stew pot. Those kinds of people are not pagans, and should be ignored. And wiccans are not as stupid as they are depicted as, plus they are persecuted far more than we are

I just wish people would cut the world's most tolerant and peaceful religion some slack
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2013, 10:04 PM
(08-02-2013 10:02 PM)That Icelandic Wrote:  Hello CRM-114. Like you i am not of american stock, or at least not in my way of thinking anyway. I hope you enjoy your time on TTA.

Oh and about paganism, guys. I would like to shed some light on the situation, being a former wiccan for a time.

Wicca celebrates the worship of the earth, as our ancestors did long ago, and actual pagans and wiccans dont mesh up the trinity of the worst religions on the planet, christios judeos and islamabaz, into a big stew pot. Those kinds of people are not pagans, and should be ignored. And wiccans are not as stupid as they are depicted as, plus they are persecuted far more than we are

I just wish people would cut the world's most tolerant and peaceful religion some slack

Fine, but woo is woo.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user