Hello from Southern California

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2017, 03:21 PM
Hello from Southern California
Hello,

My name is Michael. (User name "Mykal" pronounced exactly as my real name.)

Just discovered these forums. I've been watching Seth's podcasts on YouTube for a few months now.

I am 42 years old and am from Southern California where I still live.

My background is that I was not raised with any religion. I have always been skeptical but also open minded and fascinated with "paranormal" subjects from religion and spirituality to aliens and UFOs.

In college I took an intro course to world religions. I found I liked the philosophies of eastern religions, specifically Buddhism. After college I found Freemasonry and joined a local Masonic lodge. My thinking was that I would encounter people from many different religious and spiritual traditions and I would thus be able to explore them all.

After several years I gave up on Freemasonry and left. While Freemasonry doesn't require a specific religious or spiritual belief from initiates, the rituals do presuppose the existence of a Judaeo-Christian style deity. I never did believe in that type of god, but I did lean towards something like the Tao of Taoism (or the Force in Star Wars, which is probably where I first got the concept, having been a Star Wars fan since I was little). However, over time I have drifted more and more to the side of atheism and I felt it was disingenuous, if not hypocritical to remain a Mason.

So that is where I am at now. My education is in engineering, so I greatly appreciate the scientific approach to things. I have been discovering more atheist YouTube channels. I have found a local atheist Meetup.com group. And now I've found this forum. Looking forward to seeing what people are posting here.

Thanks for reading.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Mykal's post
14-07-2017, 03:43 PM
RE: Hello from Southern California
Hullo from the Central Valley, welcome to the forums o/

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
14-07-2017, 04:07 PM
Hello, also from southern California.
14-07-2017, 06:08 PM
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
14-07-2017, 08:49 PM
Greetings from Middle Earth. Smile
14-07-2017, 08:55 PM
Greetings from the bible-belt. Glad you found this place. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
14-07-2017, 09:51 PM
Hello! Big Grin
14-07-2017, 10:49 PM
Welcome!
15-07-2017, 12:21 AM
Welcome Michael! Thanks for sharing your story Smile

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-07-2017, 01:22 AM
Welcome.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.