Hello from Texas!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2017, 01:33 PM
Hello from Texas!
Hello everybody, I'm in south Texas, recently retired and very unsure what to do with myself every day. For the last 35 years I have had a purpose every morning, in the form of a job, and now suddenly I do not. I have hobbies, but it still feels like cheating.
I'm 57 years old, a lifelong atheist- well, to be fair, I was raised a Methodist, began questioning at 9 and announced my atheism to the family at 12. They were very supportive, as always- I have a great family. I'm the youngest of 6 children, we aren't a very religious family, really, other than my one and only sister, who became southern Baptist during her marriage. (She divorced him because he was cheating, with many members of both sexes, though an online swinger's website) She raised 3 kids alone. She made a great deal of money, so never had any real worries, other than trying to bring her little brother back to God. She failed. Smile She still tries though, Odin bless her. No

I spent 12 years in the United States Air Force, AFSC 11FX if anyone is interested, and then worked for a government entity for 23. My wife is still working, as she loves her job, and all of our kids (3) are grown and gone. We own a small ranch here in Texas, what people call a "hobby ranch" these days. It's only 507 acres, we were both raised on real ranches, and did not want the hassles, just the room and the freedom to do as we pleased, and for the kids to have fun.

So, let's see...other than that, we raise German Shepherds, specifically the Mountain dogs, the longer haired, more muscular, working dogs. GSD's have become a big business, as they are used by the military and police, as SAR assets, by disabled people as service animals. We are training pups to be used by disabled veterans (wounded warrior project), which we donate, and we sell puppies to people who prove they will take proper care of them. We are extremely picky- since we don't need the income, we can and do say no, frequently. We love the breed, and keep a houseful that are just family.

[Image: 9thl75.jpg]

I don't know yet how active I will be here, as I am still figuring out my days..but it will be interesting getting to know you folks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Flyboy60's post
04-07-2017, 01:44 PM
RE: Hello from Texas!
(04-07-2017 01:33 PM)Flyboy60 Wrote:  Hello everybody, I'm in south Texas, recently retired and very unsure what to do with myself every day. For the last 35 years I have had a purpose every morning, in the form of a job, and now suddenly I do not. I have hobbies, but it still feels like cheating.
I'm 57 years old, a lifelong atheist- well, to be fair, I was raised a Methodist, began questioning at 9 and announced my atheism to the family at 12. They were very supportive, as always- I have a great family. I'm the youngest of 6 children, we aren't a very religious family, really, other than my one and only sister, who became southern Baptist during her marriage. (She divorced him because he was cheating, with many members of both sexes, though an online swinger's website) She raised 3 kids alone. She made a great deal of money, so never had any real worries, other than trying to bring her little brother back to God. She failed. Smile She still tries though, Odin bless her. No

I spent 12 years in the United States Air Force, AFSC 11FX if anyone is interested, and then worked for a government entity for 23. My wife is still working, as she loves her job, and all of our kids (3) are grown and gone. We own a small ranch here in Texas, what people call a "hobby ranch" these days. It's only 507 acres, we were both raised on real ranches, and did not want the hassles, just the room and the freedom to do as we pleased, and for the kids to have fun.

So, let's see...other than that, we raise German Shepherds, specifically the Mountain dogs, the longer haired, more muscular, working dogs. GSD's have become a big business, as they are used by the military and police, as SAR assets, by disabled people as service animals. We are training pups to be used by disabled veterans (wounded warrior project), which we donate, and we sell puppies to people who prove they will take proper care of them. We are extremely picky- since we don't need the income, we can and do say no, frequently. We love the breed, and keep a houseful that are just family.

[Image: 9thl75.jpg]

I don't know yet how active I will be here, as I am still figuring out my days..but it will be interesting getting to know you folks!

Welcome! I used to train Schutzhund and police dogs in days long past. I have a "failed" police dog now - he refused to ever do the "slippery floor " test again after pulling a ham string. I am also retired and loving every minute.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-07-2017, 01:56 PM
Quote:Welcome! I used to train Schutzhund and police dogs in days long past. I have a "failed" police dog now - he refused to ever do the "slippery floor " test again after pulling a ham string. I am also retired and loving every minute.

Hi Dom!
I trained bird dogs in my youth, but just fairly recently went through a course in training service dogs...it has been a lot of fun learning, the trainer who taught me runs a large and very successful business training mostly police dogs, and his training methods are just brilliant- they make me look like I know what I'm doing!

I'm hoping to learn how to love being retired, right now I feel a little lost and a lot like I'm doing something wrong. I worked in an industry where it was go-go-go, time is of the essence, and then suddenly...nothing. Quite a shock.
04-07-2017, 02:26 PM
Welcome to TTA. Shy

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
04-07-2017, 02:36 PM
Welcome, great to meet you! Thanks for sharing your story, very interesting Smile

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
04-07-2017, 02:51 PM
Welcome...I am in the Dallas area - going on 11 years now. As they say - I wasn't born here but I got here as soon as I could.

Lovely dogs. Some years back we had a standard female GSD and then got a long-haired male. They bred once but we quickly decided that wasn't really what we were cut out to do. And the female was so dominant over the male that we rehomed him with a guy we knew from work - a Nam vet. She was better as a solitary dog.

Now we have little couch/lap dogs though one fancies himself quite a hunter.

You are going through a huge life change and it's probably going to take a while to slow down and realize it's okay to do so.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
04-07-2017, 02:55 PM
Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
04-07-2017, 03:01 PM
(04-07-2017 01:56 PM)Flyboy60 Wrote:  
Quote:Welcome! I used to train Schutzhund and police dogs in days long past. I have a "failed" police dog now - he refused to ever do the "slippery floor " test again after pulling a ham string. I am also retired and loving every minute.

Hi Dom!
I trained bird dogs in my youth, but just fairly recently went through a course in training service dogs...it has been a lot of fun learning, the trainer who taught me runs a large and very successful business training mostly police dogs, and his training methods are just brilliant- they make me look like I know what I'm doing!

I'm hoping to learn how to love being retired, right now I feel a little lost and a lot like I'm doing something wrong. I worked in an industry where it was go-go-go, time is of the essence, and then suddenly...nothing. Quite a shock.

I used to travel a lot for work and I just as rather never see the inside of an airport or hotel ever again. The last few years before retirement, I started a garden and a veggie garden. Between those and my dogs, and the nature around me, I am quite happy and content and never run out of things I enjoy doing. I love the freedom of living each day in any way I like...

Just make a list of everything you like, not just activities, everything. You'll get ideas...

I loved the training because it taught so much about how to communicate with dogs - and other animals also. They can perceive so many things we cannot, and it is almost a science to train dogs that warn of impending seizures and things like that. You have to be very tuned into the dog to realize when s/he perceives a certain thing, so that you can teach him/her to show a given response at the right times. It all fascinates me...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
04-07-2017, 05:32 PM
Hello! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
04-07-2017, 11:08 PM
G'day mate, and welcome to the forums. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post