Hello from The Berkshires.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2017, 06:41 PM
Hello from The Berkshires.
Hi, everyone! I am yet another freethinker who has recently joined the exodus from the Amazon Forums, having been ousted by a moderator afflicted with The Little Hitler Syndrome. My offense was having the nerve to post an obvious truth which, in the moderator's opinion, violated Amazon's forum guidelines, regardless of the fact that I was participating in the Atheist Forum:

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." (Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion)

Interestingly, I made the identical observation when I first began reading the Bible in 6th grade (1959), long before I had even heard of Richard Dawkins.

My profound thanks to a member here by the name of Dorsie who posted the link to this website in the Amazon forums at a time when most of the better participants were abandoning the sinking ship.

I am a 68-year-old retired Tool & Die Maker, living in Chester, MA with my cat Cricket. Chester is a small hilltown nestled in the eastern foothills of the Berkshire Mountains. I work at the local Transfer Station, attending the can/bottle recycling bin in return for keeping all of the deposit beverage containers I find. My hobbies are watching movies, reading, Mahjong, and writing Lord of the Rings/Middle Earth fan fiction.

My upbringing was entirely Roman Catholic. I had to endure the entire RC indoctrination mill from kindergarten through high school. I will describe my experiences in those awful institutions in later posts. I came out as an atheist in 1982. Soon afterward, I joined American Atheists and served as Vice-Director of the CT Chapter for three years.

I am looking forward to participating in these discussions with my fellow atheists and possibly corresponding with some of you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Gwaithmir's post
03-03-2017, 06:49 PM
RE: Hello from The Berkshires.
Great to have you here...especially since I don’t feel so old now. Tongue

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
03-03-2017, 06:51 PM
Welcome aboard Smile

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
03-03-2017, 06:52 PM
(03-03-2017 06:41 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  Hi, everyone! I am yet another freethinker who has recently joined the exodus from the Amazon Forums, having been ousted by a moderator afflicted with The Little Hitler Syndrome. My offense was having the nerve to post an obvious truth which, in the moderator's opinion, violated Amazon's forum guidelines, regardless of the fact that I was participating in the Atheist Forum:

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." (Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion)

Interestingly, I made the identical observation when I first began reading the Bible in 6th grade (1959), long before I had even heard of Richard Dawkins.

My profound thanks to a member here by the name of Dorsie who posted the link to this website in the Amazon forums at a time when most of the better participants were abandoning the sinking ship.

I am a 68-year-old retired Tool & Die Maker, living in Chester, MA with my cat Cricket. Chester is a small hilltown nestled in the eastern foothills of the Berkshire Mountains. I work at the local Transfer Station, attending the can/bottle recycling bin in return for keeping all of the deposit beverage containers I find. My hobbies are watching movies, reading, Mahjong, and writing Lord of the Rings/Middle Earth fan fiction.

My upbringing was entirely Roman Catholic. I had to endure the entire RC indoctrination mill from kindergarten through high school. I will describe my experiences in those awful institutions in later posts. I came out as an atheist in 1982. Soon afterward, I joined American Atheists and served as Vice-Director of the CT Chapter for three years.

I am looking forward to participating in these discussions with my fellow atheists and possibly corresponding with some of you.

Welcome! Feel free to say whatever the hell you want here, there is very few things you can get in trouble for posting here.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
03-03-2017, 06:59 PM
(03-03-2017 06:41 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  I am a 68-year-old retired Tool & Die Maker, living in Chester, MA with my cat Cricket.

Yeah, and I'm Lord Isildur. Wink
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
03-03-2017, 07:00 PM
Welcome!
03-03-2017, 07:07 PM
(03-03-2017 06:59 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 06:41 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  I am a 68-year-old retired Tool & Die Maker, living in Chester, MA with my cat Cricket.

Yeah, and I'm Lord Isildur. Wink

> Um...that's King Isildur, Jay. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
03-03-2017, 07:09 PM
hi there from another MA resident Smile

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
03-03-2017, 07:11 PM
(03-03-2017 07:07 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 06:59 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  Yeah, and I'm Lord Isildur. Wink

> Um...that's King Isildur, Jay. Smile

I thought it sounded funny.
03-03-2017, 07:18 PM
(03-03-2017 07:11 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 07:07 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > Um...that's King Isildur, Jay. Smile

I thought it sounded funny.

> Unfortunately, there will probably be no fundies or creationists here to use my favorite line on. Sad
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post