Hello from Utah!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2014, 09:46 AM
Hello from Utah!
I'm new here and thought I'd introduce myself. I've been an atheist for only a few months, but agnostic, deist, or doubting for a lot longer. I'm from Utah but surprisingly was not Mormon, although most of my extended family is. I, on the other hand, was raised Catholic thanks to my mom and Grandma bucking the Mormon trend.

Thus, from a very young age I was confronted with the inconsistency of there being multiple religions. This caused me to think, a lot earlier than others, about how could it be that there is more than one religion, and which one is right, and how do we know? I went along with the Catholicism thing through high school, went to Catholic school and everything. I had my doubts and issues, to be sure. I couldn't believe that God really cared whether I believed that the bread and wine actually became the body and blood of Christ, or if they were just symbols--that all seemed so nitpicky to me.

I wasn't an active Catholic in my twenties, but still clung to the label--I married a Mormon (like me, he clung to the label but wasn't active and didn't really believe) and since religion was not a common ground for us, it just got ignored. In my late twenties I started doubting and questioning more and more. I have an academic streak in me and I sought out literature that truly set me on the path to atheism.

It all began with Thomas Paine's The Age of Reason, and for a while I identified as a deist, like Paine. That didn't last long, as I couldn't really get behind the argument that because the world is beautiful, that means there is a God. But really it was just scary for me to drop the God thing all together. And harder still to admit I am not a Christian. But as I thought about it more, I eventually became more comfortable dropping those labels. Between TTA podcasts and Dawkins' The God Delusion, I have finally become more comfortable with the atheist label.

So, that's me! (In a religious nutshell).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like YesReally's post
23-09-2014, 10:02 AM
RE: Hello from Utah!
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
23-09-2014, 10:15 AM
Hi! Welcome!

Sprinkling vs dunking is a big deal in my family... my brother was sprinkled and I was dunked (my parents could never stay happy in a church very long, so we went to both Methodist and Baptist churches). When I was a christian, I always considered communion to be a symbol.

I've had wafers, French bread, whole grain bread, loaf bread, gluten free bread, pita bread, etc... Wine vs grape juice out of a communal cup or little bitty shot glass... Dunked my bread in the juice or taken each separately. Not once did it turn into human flesh and blood.

The God Delusion was a huge help to me, as well. TTA has helped me get past my existential crisis, of sorts.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
23-09-2014, 10:28 AM
Welcome to TTA! Jump right in!

(23-09-2014 10:15 AM)Nurse Wrote:  TTA has helped me get past my existential crisis, of sorts.
Heart

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
23-09-2014, 11:56 AM
Those from utah get a utahraptor welcome.

[Image: utahraptor_by_ignius_fa-d2y3wzc.jpg]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
23-09-2014, 12:33 PM
What an interesting intro! Welcome, and I look forward to your posts and viewpoints on things. Heart
Enjoy!

Be true to yourself. Heart
23-09-2014, 03:58 PM
Hi YesReally - good to have you here.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
23-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Welcome! How's your husband doing with your change? Going along? Protesting?

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
25-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Welcome new friend!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ