Hello from a Southern Science Teacher

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Hello from a Southern Science Teacher
I just wanted to take a second to introduce myself. I am a public high school biology teacher in the southern US (fun times!). I have been an atheist and freethinker since at least late elementary school when I wanted to do a science fair project on human evolution and couldn't understand why my teachers dissuaded me from me. I officially came out as an atheist to my friends during middle school and endured that hell, went to a local university, got my teaching degree and certification, and have made a vow to never let the same crap that happened to me happen to any of my students if I could possibly help it. Just this past year I had a student who had recently figured out she was an atheist and I counseled her about it. Interestingly, her mother was grateful for my support until she realized that I myself was an atheist and I wasn't trying to shame her daughter into believing the way she wanted her to. I've also helped students who didn't want to stand and say the Pledge of Allegience (I also choose not to do this, specifically because of the "under god" portion), and I've helped convince a local band director that no, he could not block a student from auditioning for the color guard simply because he's gay. I am about to begin my 6th year of teaching and I am absolutely convinced, teaching is the best career ever - for me. Because I teach biology, and human anatomy and physiology, evolution underlies every single thing I teach. I do periodically have students who have issues learning about evolution, but for most, I am able to gradually break down those mental barriers.

I am also an avid naturalist and animal lover. I spend as much time in nature as I can, I take students hiking to hopefully spark in them a genuine interest in nature, and I keep several 'pets' (if you can call snakes pets) both at home and in my classroom. I make it a personal goal each school year to help as many people get over their ophidiophobia as I can. I also use the animals in the classroom to illustrate the various aspects of evolutionary biology, like selection, coevolution, convergent evolution, etc.

I've recently started listening to The Thinking Atheist podcast after a too-long hiatus. I came back into the fold, so to speak, just too late to attend the Oklahoma Freethought get together and I'm kicking myself big time for that. Never again!

I look forward to interacting with you all and maybe using you guys, if you'll have me, as a venting place for the kinds of religious crap I sometimes have to deal with from my students or their parents.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like Chance's post
29-06-2013, 02:10 PM
RE: Hello from a Southern Science Teacher
Welcome Smile
29-06-2013, 02:17 PM
I became a gnostic atheist when god showed up on the job site.

Welcome.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
29-06-2013, 03:49 PM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2013 03:53 PM by GirlyMan.)
(29-06-2013 02:17 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I became a gnostic atheist when god showed up on the job site.

Welcome.

He haz seens teh Gwynniez and theyz iz good.

[Image: gwynnie.jpg]

Welcome to the Monkey House, Science Teacher!

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-06-2013, 04:01 PM
I just got here myself but that's a great story.

A pleasure to meet you.
29-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Good, welcome.

Needed more science in this place. We always need more science!

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
29-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Thanks a ton for all the warm, if slightly odd (forgive me, total noob here) welcomes. I am enjoying perusing some of the various subforums. If I may divulge a little more about myself and my family to further set myself apart from the mainstream of my home state....as if that's difficult to do...I'm also gay. My two partners (yes, two, I'm 30, one of them is 32, the other is 25) are both atheists, humanists, and naturalists like myself. One is also a biology teacher, the other is a math teacher. We all teach at different schools but have aspirations of one day teaching in the same school district. They've been giving me a light ribbing lately because I've been listening to The Thinking Atheist podcast nonstop, at least according to them. Of course they're griping on one hand, enjoying it immensely on the other. I don't think either of them will ever create an account here because they aren't quite as internet-involved as I am.

We are an interesting alternative family I guess you could say. We all enjoy being outdoors hiking, biking, boating, swimming, etc. We also all enjoy cars quite a bit and are big time BMW fanboys.

I hope that at some point in the relatively near future, we'll be able to make it to some freethought get togethers. Thanks again for the warm welcomes.
[+] 2 users Like Chance's post
29-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Welcome! Smile

Enjoy your stay....don't mind these goons; you'll grow to love 'em as I have Heart We're a crazy family here. Tongue

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-06-2013, 07:26 PM
(29-06-2013 07:17 PM)Chance Wrote:  Thanks a ton for all the warm, if slightly odd (forgive me, total noob here) welcomes. I am enjoying perusing some of the various subforums. If I may divulge a little more about myself and my family to further set myself apart from the mainstream of my home state....as if that's difficult to do...I'm also gay. My two partners (yes, two, I'm 30, one of them is 32, the other is 25) are both atheists, humanists, and naturalists like myself. One is also a biology teacher, the other is a math teacher. We all teach at different schools but have aspirations of one day teaching in the same school district. They've been giving me a light ribbing lately because I've been listening to The Thinking Atheist podcast nonstop, at least according to them. Of course they're griping on one hand, enjoying it immensely on the other. I don't think either of them will ever create an account here because they aren't quite as internet-involved as I am.

We are an interesting alternative family I guess you could say. We all enjoy being outdoors hiking, biking, boating, swimming, etc. We also all enjoy cars quite a bit and are big time BMW fanboys.

I hope that at some point in the relatively near future, we'll be able to make it to some freethought get togethers. Thanks again for the warm welcomes.

We do "odd" a lot around here. Big Grin

Welcome!

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
29-06-2013, 08:07 PM
I've heard about that there "Southern Science".
Is it anything like yer reg'ler science ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post