Nothin' liyke iyt at'all.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2013, 08:37 PM
RE: Hello from a Southern Science Teacher
That's what I heard. Just so it's not "creation science". Tongue
Welcome.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study. "I believe Mr. Peanut is the Messiah" -- onlinebiker
29-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Gotta love a science teacher going by the name "Chance".

Welcome!

I’m not anti-social. I’m pro-solitude. ~Author Unknown
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
30-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Welcome.

Been driving Bimmers for 32 years, so you guys must be all right.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Re: Hello from a Southern Science Teacher
Not really sure why the south gets a bad rap. I ran into more people trying to sell their religion in my home state then anywhere in the south.
30-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Welcome to TTA!

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

01-07-2013, 07:38 AM
Welcome aboard!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
01-07-2013, 08:12 AM
(29-06-2013 02:01 PM)Chance Wrote:  I just wanted to take a second to introduce myself. I am a public high school biology teacher in the southern US (fun times!). I have been an atheist and freethinker since at least late elementary school when I wanted to do a science fair project on human evolution and couldn't understand why my teachers dissuaded me from me. I officially came out as an atheist to my friends during middle school and endured that hell, went to a local university, got my teaching degree and certification, and have made a vow to never let the same crap that happened to me happen to any of my students if I could possibly help it. Just this past year I had a student who had recently figured out she was an atheist and I counseled her about it. Interestingly, her mother was grateful for my support until she realized that I myself was an atheist and I wasn't trying to shame her daughter into believing the way she wanted her to. I've also helped students who didn't want to stand and say the Pledge of Allegience (I also choose not to do this, specifically because of the "under god" portion), and I've helped convince a local band director that no, he could not block a student from auditioning for the color guard simply because he's gay. I am about to begin my 6th year of teaching and I am absolutely convinced, teaching is the best career ever - for me. Because I teach biology, and human anatomy and physiology, evolution underlies every single thing I teach. I do periodically have students who have issues learning about evolution, but for most, I am able to gradually break down those mental barriers.

I am also an avid naturalist and animal lover. I spend as much time in nature as I can, I take students hiking to hopefully spark in them a genuine interest in nature, and I keep several 'pets' (if you can call snakes pets) both at home and in my classroom. I make it a personal goal each school year to help as many people get over their ophidiophobia as I can. I also use the animals in the classroom to illustrate the various aspects of evolutionary biology, like selection, coevolution, convergent evolution, etc.

I've recently started listening to The Thinking Atheist podcast after a too-long hiatus. I came back into the fold, so to speak, just too late to attend the Oklahoma Freethought get together and I'm kicking myself big time for that. Never again!

I look forward to interacting with you all and maybe using you guys, if you'll have me, as a venting place for the kinds of religious crap I sometimes have to deal with from my students or their parents.
Don't worry, I survived growing up in the deep South. It is lots better today than in the 50's. Just encourage your students to reason for themselves and most will be able to figure it all out. * Don't use the Texas School Board approved books.
01-07-2013, 08:15 AM
Thanks again for the continuing welcomes.

Anjele, my parents must have had foresight because this is actually my name.

Chas, that's awesome! I'd be curious to get your take on how they've evolved. Right now all of ours are very late model: 2013 328i coupe, 2013 X1 sdrive28i, and 2012 128i coupe. But we had an E90 328i sedan, and previous to that an E30 1989 325i convertible. That vert was awesome (just a bit of a money pit!), and soooooo minimalistic. Even modern BMWs are very driver focused cars with little in the way of comfort amenities, but the old ones were just sparse.

TheBlackKnight, come live here for a while Smile Don't get me wrong, I love living in Arkansas. We have some awesome natural areas a very short drive from my home. There are definitely some downsides though, socio-politically speaking.
01-07-2013, 08:18 AM
(01-07-2013 08:12 AM)Buddy Wrote:  
(29-06-2013 02:01 PM)Chance Wrote:  I just wanted to take a second to introduce myself. I am a public high school biology teacher in the southern US (fun times!). I have been an atheist and freethinker since at least late elementary school when I wanted to do a science fair project on human evolution and couldn't understand why my teachers dissuaded me from me. I officially came out as an atheist to my friends during middle school and endured that hell, went to a local university, got my teaching degree and certification, and have made a vow to never let the same crap that happened to me happen to any of my students if I could possibly help it. Just this past year I had a student who had recently figured out she was an atheist and I counseled her about it. Interestingly, her mother was grateful for my support until she realized that I myself was an atheist and I wasn't trying to shame her daughter into believing the way she wanted her to. I've also helped students who didn't want to stand and say the Pledge of Allegience (I also choose not to do this, specifically because of the "under god" portion), and I've helped convince a local band director that no, he could not block a student from auditioning for the color guard simply because he's gay. I am about to begin my 6th year of teaching and I am absolutely convinced, teaching is the best career ever - for me. Because I teach biology, and human anatomy and physiology, evolution underlies every single thing I teach. I do periodically have students who have issues learning about evolution, but for most, I am able to gradually break down those mental barriers.

I am also an avid naturalist and animal lover. I spend as much time in nature as I can, I take students hiking to hopefully spark in them a genuine interest in nature, and I keep several 'pets' (if you can call snakes pets) both at home and in my classroom. I make it a personal goal each school year to help as many people get over their ophidiophobia as I can. I also use the animals in the classroom to illustrate the various aspects of evolutionary biology, like selection, coevolution, convergent evolution, etc.

I've recently started listening to The Thinking Atheist podcast after a too-long hiatus. I came back into the fold, so to speak, just too late to attend the Oklahoma Freethought get together and I'm kicking myself big time for that. Never again!

I look forward to interacting with you all and maybe using you guys, if you'll have me, as a venting place for the kinds of religious crap I sometimes have to deal with from my students or their parents.
Don't worry, I survived growing up in the deep South. It is lots better today than in the 50's. Just encourage your students to reason for themselves and most will be able to figure it all out. * Don't use the Texas School Board approved books.

Hah, thanks for the tip. Honestly I rarely use an actual textbook, and this coming year my district is going one-to-one with technology so all students will have internet-capable devices at their disposals so I'll use books even less. I do constantly encourage my students to think deeper but alas for some, it seems like it might be a lost cause. That won't stop me from trying though!