Hello from a recovering theist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2017, 07:23 AM
Hello from a recovering theist
Hello, all!

About 5 months ago I finally said the words "I am an atheist." I had been doubting for a few years. I was raised a Baptist, graduated from a Baptist school and went to a Bible college. I never in a million years would have thought my journey would take me here.

I haven't told my family. I think right now it's just easier to not rock that boat. My relationship with my family is already rocky. I think this may sink that ship.

I recently found podcasts like The Thinking Atheist. I am reading Seth's book and his experiences mirror mine in so many ways.

Thank you all for having me! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like qpmomma's post
06-04-2017, 07:27 AM
RE: Hello from a recovering theist
Welcome qpmomma. Glad to count you in our ranks.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
06-04-2017, 07:28 AM
Welcome!

Well done for having the courage to say it, and to battle your way out. This a great supportive community, I hope you find a home here.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
06-04-2017, 07:31 AM
Welcome aboard!

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
06-04-2017, 07:36 AM
(06-04-2017 07:23 AM)qpmomma Wrote:  Hello, all!

About 5 months ago I finally said the words "I am an atheist." I had been doubting for a few years. I was raised a Baptist, graduated from a Baptist school and went to a Bible college. I never in a million years would have thought my journey would take me here.

I haven't told my family. I think right now it's just easier to not rock that boat. My relationship with my family is already rocky. I think this may sink that ship.

I recently found podcasts like The Thinking Atheist. I am reading Seth's book and his experiences mirror mine in so many ways.

Thank you all for having me! Smile

> I can understand your position. It took me three years before I told my family I was a confirmed non-believer.

> Welcome to the Thinking Atheist. I look forward to reading your posts. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
06-04-2017, 08:21 AM
Welcome!

If you have any questions or need advice, this is the place for you Smile

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
06-04-2017, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the welcome!

I've told my husband (also an atheist) and my sister (pagan) that I am an atheist. But my mom, dad and other very religious family members do not know. I think they know something is up, but no one has said anything to me. It's easier to sweep things under the rug lol
06-04-2017, 08:23 AM
Welcome! I hope you can mend your relationship with your family, that can be pretty tough Sad Glad to have you aboard though.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
06-04-2017, 08:32 AM
Hi there Qpmomma, glad you could make it this far. I can only think you must feel a bit shakey. There are many here in various stages of deconversion - you are not alone. Hug

We're a global community with a variety of perspectives. The discussions can get intense but can also be just light banter. Don't be afraid to explore and jump right in.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
06-04-2017, 08:35 AM
(06-04-2017 08:23 AM)qpmomma Wrote:  Thanks for the welcome!

I've told my husband (also an atheist) and my sister (pagan) that I am an atheist. But my mom, dad and other very religious family members do not know. I think they know something is up, but no one has said anything to me. It's easier to sweep things under the rug lol
I've said this to a few people coming out of religion, but Atheism is such a "non-thing", so try not to worry too much.

I know others have idea's/thoughts about how they should feel, but you're an atheist now, so relax. If asked directly, you should be able to say "I'm an Atheist" but you don't need to elaborate or give somebody an explanation. You should expect the same courtesy you would give anybody else. It's like somebody saying "I don't drink coffee any more" and you demanding to know why they've thrown their life away, it's really not as bad as people think it is.

It may come as a shock to your parents, when they do find out, but for now try not to think about it.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post