Hello from a recovering theist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2017, 08:47 AM
RE: Hello from a recovering theist
(06-04-2017 08:35 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I've said this to a few people coming out of religion, but Atheism is such a "non-thing", so try not to worry too much.

I know others have idea's/thoughts about how they should feel, but you're an atheist now, so relax. If asked directly, you should be able to say "I'm an Atheist" but you don't need to elaborate or give somebody an explanation. You should expect the same courtesy you would give anybody else. It's like somebody saying "I don't drink coffee any more" and you demanding to know why they've thrown their life away, it's really not as bad as people think it is.

It may come as a shock to your parents, when they do find out, but for now try not to think about it.

If asked I know I will say that yes, I am an atheist. It just hasn't come up and I'm not willing to bring it up yet. I'm waiting for it to come up organically, but that hasn't happened yet lol.

I hope it will be a non-issue. When my sister came out as pagan she was disowned until a couple of years ago. My dad tries to "witness" to her kids and swears up and down everything bad that has happened to her is because she's not a Christian. I'm just not ready for that quite yet. But yes, if asked I will say it. Until that moment I am really enjoying learning who I am and learning about the world around me. For instance, did you know the earth is not 6,000 years old?!? That was mind blowing to me! lol
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like qpmomma's post
06-04-2017, 08:49 AM
Hallo!

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes ukatheist's post
06-04-2017, 08:52 AM
Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
06-04-2017, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2017 09:15 AM by OakTree500.)
Quote:If asked I know I will say that yes, I am an atheist. It just hasn't come up and I'm not willing to bring it up yet. I'm waiting for it to come up organically, but that hasn't happened yet lol.

I hope it will be a non-issue. When my sister came out as pagan she was disowned until a couple of years ago. My dad tries to "witness" to her kids and swears up and down everything bad that has happened to her is because she's not a Christian. I'm just not ready for that quite yet. But yes, if asked I will say it. Until that moment I am really enjoying learning who I am and learning about the world around me. For instance, did you know the earth is not 6,000 years old?!? That was mind blowing to me! lol

Amazing! Well this is the new part of your life. Some say Atheism looks bleak with the whole "no afterlife" thing, but I see it as giving you a deadline to learn/experience everything you can. Now you're free to delve into aspects of nature/science as a whole/space + time and other cultures that you probably didn't really know much about before. If you can, try and learn something new everyday. Pick a subject and have a little read up. That way you'll soon see how far you've come.

When I say its atheism is a "non-thing" I mean generally, in the real world. People may take things personally and blow it out of proportion, but in day to day life, it's a real "nothing". I've always been an Atheist, and I'm almost 30 years old. Anything bad that's ever happened to me is my own damn fault haha.

As you've said, if asked you should tell people, but as with anything in life, you shouldn't be walking around shoving it in peoples faces, so just don't think about it for now. It's worth mentioning to your parents, if they do find out, that this doesn't stop you from respecting their views/thoughts, because most Atheists are in the mind of "you do what makes you happy". An example of this is my mother/step father and sister are all religious attending a real big "praise the lord" type place, and I've been with them a few times. I like the people and have friends there, but my parents know I'm not there for the lord, I'm there for them.

Best advise I can give you is, literally don't think about how people will react, as that's their problem and not yours. If people don't respect your decisions, as I imagine you would respect theirs, just leave it with them for a bit, they'll come around.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
06-04-2017, 09:26 AM
Hello! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
06-04-2017, 10:35 AM
(06-04-2017 07:23 AM)qpmomma Wrote:  I was raised a Baptist, graduated from a Baptist school and went to a Bible college. I never in a million years would have thought my journey would take me here.

It turns out, the closer you look the less sense it makes.

Welcome.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
06-04-2017, 07:04 PM
(06-04-2017 08:56 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Amazing! Well this is the new part of your life. Some say Atheism looks bleak with the whole "no afterlife" thing, but I see it as giving you a deadline to learn/experience everything you can. Now you're free to delve into aspects of nature/science as a whole/space + time and other cultures that you probably didn't really know much about before. If you can, try and learn something new everyday. Pick a subject and have a little read up. That way you'll soon see how far you've come.

When I say its atheism is a "non-thing" I mean generally, in the real world. People may take things personally and blow it out of proportion, but in day to day life, it's a real "nothing". I've always been an Atheist, and I'm almost 30 years old. Anything bad that's ever happened to me is my own damn fault haha.

As you've said, if asked you should tell people, but as with anything in life, you shouldn't be walking around shoving it in peoples faces, so just don't think about it for now. It's worth mentioning to your parents, if they do find out, that this doesn't stop you from respecting their views/thoughts, because most Atheists are in the mind of "you do what makes you happy". An example of this is my mother/step father and sister are all religious attending a real big "praise the lord" type place, and I've been with them a few times. I like the people and have friends there, but my parents know I'm not there for the lord, I'm there for them.

Best advise I can give you is, literally don't think about how people will react, as that's their problem and not yours. If people don't respect your decisions, as I imagine you would respect theirs, just leave it with them for a bit, they'll come around.

Thanks so much for the advice! I appreciate it! This is all still very new to me lol
[+] 1 user Likes qpmomma's post
06-04-2017, 07:09 PM
Welcome to the forum. So very glad that you've discovered that the world is a bit older than 6000 years. I'm one of those horrible geologists that goes around telling people about rocks that are hundreds of millions or, on a good day, billions of years old.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
07-04-2017, 06:01 AM
G'day mate, and welcome. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post