Hello from a secular housewife

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2015, 05:29 PM
RE: Hello from a secular housewife
Welcome to TTA! It's nice to know you. Big Grin

People are kinda crazy around here. I'm not crazy though. I'm normal........I think. Tongue

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2015, 02:17 AM
Welcome!

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
30-10-2015, 04:01 AM
(29-10-2015 02:07 PM)Secular_Dandelion Wrote:  It was this year that I realized that I didn't believe in any deity, whether it was Yahweh or Odin. I have a very persistent Jehovah's Witness to thank for that, though I don't think he considers my thanks a compliment. They built a hall less than a block away (I live behind a Baptist church, beside a little Spanish church, next to the Baptist church is a Spanish Baptist church, and across the street to the side is now a Kingdom Hall....can't wait to move) and so began proselytizing the surrounding neighborhoods. My Nana taught me to be polite, however I think it backfired on me since he kept coming back. I guess it worked out for me since it helped me to look at my own beliefs and find that I don't believe in any deity.

My husband has opened up about being agnostic, though I joke to him that he sounds more atheist than agnostic. He came from a Methodist background while I come from a Pagan background.

To a non American, that sounds so totally over the top. Big Grin

Welcome to the site. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
30-10-2015, 07:03 AM
Welcome , I wish you happiness and get aspirations
30-10-2015, 07:10 AM
Welcome. I would learn some details about countering their arguments and grill them when they show up next. That is not being impolite, but you may sow some seeds of doubt and help them. It also may be fun, especially if your husband is also on board. Can you imagine what would be going through the head of a JW who is invited into your home then tag teamed about their beliefs? Could be hilarious.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
30-10-2015, 07:10 AM
The way I explain it to people is that agnosticism is the view through which I interpret the world, and atheism is the conclusion I have determined to be most probable using that view.

In any case, it's quite fortunate that both of you happened to be non religious despite not explicitly discussing the topic beforehand getting married. Sometimes the realization that one believes and one does not immediately turns an otherwise happy couple against each other Smile

'Murican Canadian
30-10-2015, 07:39 AM
(29-10-2015 04:41 PM)Secular_Dandelion Wrote:  Thank you for the welcomes, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside ^_^

I love that feeling soooooo much.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-10-2015, 09:16 AM
(29-10-2015 04:41 PM)Secular_Dandelion Wrote:  Thank you for the welcomes, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside ^_^

Welcome SD. Glad to hear about your plans for school.
30-10-2015, 10:22 AM
(29-10-2015 04:21 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Hello from another atheist stay at home mom.

lately my title has been slacker, Ohmy

Welcome!

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
30-10-2015, 10:32 AM
Quote:They built a hall less than a block away (I live behind a Baptist church, beside a little Spanish church, next to the Baptist church is a Spanish Baptist church, and across the street to the side is now a Kingdom Hall....can't wait to move) and so began proselytizing the surrounding neighborhoods

Too much real estate wasted on bullshit. A single cow pasture would suffice. Welcome. Nice to meet you.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!