Hello from a young(ish) athiest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2012, 12:36 AM
Hello fellow athiests! I am a 14 year old from IL, and have never joined a forum before. I have deeply religious Nazerene parents( Nazerenes are very focused on sanctification and the power of prayer), and have not come out to them yet. I am also homeschooled and soft spoken, and I don't have any friends that aren't Nazerene. I found out about atheism from, of all places, comedy podcasts. From there, I went to YouTube and found videos about it from people like thunderf00t and theamazingathiest. At first, I was stunned at why they didn't believe in my religion, because I had been kept all my life away from reality, the world, and other religions. But, as I began to think about all of the stories they teach in bible school, it all came into place and I saw that the bible is some fairytale, written thousands of years ago. I was about 12 when I found out about that. I am still scared to tell my parents, because I stutter badly and sometimes I mess up my words and come across wrong.. My dad also works at a Nazerene college, where, when I turn 18, will be going, because I will get schooling free, minus room, board, and books. My other family on my dads side is extremely religious and expect me to be as religious as them. My moms side isn't religious at all, and I think they would be more open to atheism. Well, I'm sorry if I rambled. I am known not to be the best writer, but I hope I get to talk and get to know the rest of you!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Drock777's post
02-12-2012, 07:50 AM
RE: Hello from a young(ish) athiest
If a kid subjected to indoctrination as bad as that can still see the BS that is the bible and theism in general, then there are NO excuses for the rest of mankind.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
02-12-2012, 07:52 AM
(02-12-2012 12:36 AM)Drock777 Wrote:  Hello fellow athiests! I am a 14 year old from IL, and have never joined a forum before. I have deeply religious Nazerene parents( Nazerenes are very focused on sanctification and the power of prayer), and have not come out to them yet. I am also homeschooled and soft spoken, and I don't have any friends that aren't Nazerene. I found out about atheism from, of all places, comedy podcasts. From there, I went to YouTube and found videos about it from people like thunderf00t and theamazingathiest. At first, I was stunned at why they didn't believe in my religion, because I had been kept all my life away from reality, the world, and other religions. But, as I began to think about all of the stories they teach in bible school, it all came into place and I saw that the bible is some fairytale, written thousands of years ago. I was about 12 when I found out about that. I am still scared to tell my parents, because I stutter badly and sometimes I mess up my words and come across wrong.. My dad also works at a Nazerene college, where, when I turn 18, will be going, because I will get schooling free, minus room, board, and books. My other family on my dads side is extremely religious and expect me to be as religious as them. My moms side isn't religious at all, and I think they would be more open to atheism. Well, I'm sorry if I rambled. I am known not to be the best writer, but I hope I get to talk and get to know the rest of you!

Welcome. You may want to keep your doubts to yourself until you are 18. At that point, you may find a way to attend a real university and not that Nazarene college.

Continue to learn and to grow.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
02-12-2012, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2012 08:50 AM by Vera.)
What Chas said. Don't worry too much about telling your parents right now. You don't have to do it, until you feel secure enough, both in yourself and in your beliefs (or lack of beliefsWink).

I'm also glad to hear that one side of your family is not religious. Sounds like someone who may give you support when you most need it.

Again, as Chas said, just keep looking for answers and not settling for what is being fed to you and you'll be just fine. Thumbsup

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
02-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Hi Drock,

I think you should tell everyone for the following reasons:

1) You will be being true to yourself
2) You may find that there are others in your family who feel / think as you do and it will encourage them and give them hope
3) You will find out that your parents probably love you for who you are and not for what you believe (or don't believe). And, btw, rejecting a belief is not the same as rejecting a tradition/culture but they may not realise the difference immediately.
4) You will find new friends and gain loads of rewarding experiences among the street people who will take care of you once you have been kicked out on your arse.

Fun times ahead, my friend and welcome to the forum.

At least here, you are free to be yourself.

Nobody stutters when they type.

02-12-2012, 08:55 AM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2012 08:59 AM by Atothetheist.)
Hey Drock,

I just wanted to say congratulations for shaking off the shackles of religion and stepping through the threshold of an amazing, logical, and enlightening journey that I am sure, if you choose to keep asking questions about everything, you will experience.

I can attest to how hard it is being a teenage atheist, especially with religious, in my case extremely religious, parents. Sometimes, you may want to speak out, and sometimes you feel like your should shut up. There is always this kind of battle between the two and you might find yourself torn as to what you should do. Should you tell your parents, or should you live your life as conflict free as possible, but with the risk of having to tell half truths, or sometimes outright lies to you family.

As a teenager of fifteen years, I was too constantly bugged by the dilemma that some of us atheists face (adults also have this dilemma more than you and I can imagine) when I deconverted, or rejected the faith that I was brought up in. After a huge impulsive decision to out myself in front of my teacher, I decided that I should plan for the eventual confrontation with my parents, which came in March 24,2012.

I told them that I no longer believed, and while it wasn't the best decision I could have chosen, as it caused a lot of pain to both sides, I would have never chosen different because I wanted to be honest with my parents, whom I had respected enough to want them to know the truth about my lack of conviction in the fallacious deity called Yahweh. Sure, it brought bad blood between my parents and I, but as soon as I am eighteen, I can leave the hellhole of which I currently reside.

But enough about me, this is about you. I am not going to say that telling them will make it better, but it might make you feel better. Coming out is more for you than it is for them and I want you to remember that. Tell them when you feel comfortable enough to. Sometimes, we are instantly OK with telling them, and sometimes we are never OK with it.

I hope to see you on the forums, and I am very interested in your perspectives on a lot of issues that we atheists have to, or maybe choose to, deal with. It's nice to see someone close to my age around here, we don't have a lot of ACTIVE users that are like that. This forum is a diverse group of people, and we are always happy to accept another person who has a critical mind and is not willing to admit when he is wrong, or concede on a point when it is a post cause. Most importantly, we are more than willing to accept someone who is not afraid to be honest, and ask honest questions.

Also, if you are up for a chat with other teens hit up the teens section and browse the threads there, maybe you will find some similarity with what others are experiencing and what you are.

Keep evaluating your stances on things such as science, philosophy and morals, because a self-correcting human is a more ethical, honest and logical than a person mindlessly following what others tell them without a hint of doubt.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you find whatever you are looking for here.

-Steven

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
02-12-2012, 08:57 AM
I would keep it to yourself till 18. Your family will continue to try to get you back into the group. Definitely go to a real college. The Nazerine college may not even be accredited. In the end, becoming a free thinker means you think for yourself. You are on an exciting new path. I've only been out to a few people for a year now. I found people protect their beliefs at all costs.
02-12-2012, 02:22 PM
(02-12-2012 08:55 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Hey Drock,

I just wanted to say congratulations for shaking off the shackles of religion and stepping through the threshold of an amazing, logical, and enlightening journey that I am sure, if you choose to keep asking questions about everything, you will experience.

I can attest to how hard it is being a teenage atheist, especially with religious, in my case extremely religious, parents. Sometimes, you may want to speak out, and sometimes you feel like your should shut up. There is always this kind of battle between the two and you might find yourself torn as to what you should do. Should you tell your parents, or should you live your life as conflict free as possible, but with the risk of having to tell half truths, or sometimes outright lies to you family.

As a teenager of fifteen years, I was too constantly bugged by the dilemma that some of us atheists face (adults also have this dilemma more than you and I can imagine) when I deconverted, or rejected the faith that I was brought up in. After a huge impulsive decision to out myself in front of my teacher, I decided that I should plan for the eventual confrontation with my parents, which came in March 24,2012.

I told them that I no longer believed, and while it wasn't the best decision I could have chosen, as it caused a lot of pain to both sides, I would have never chosen different because I wanted to be honest with my parents, whom I had respected enough to want them to know the truth about my lack of conviction in the fallacious deity called Yahweh. Sure, it brought bad blood between my parents and I, but as soon as I am eighteen, I can leave the hellhole of which I currently reside.

But enough about me, this is about you. I am not going to say that telling them will make it better, but it might make you feel better. Coming out is more for you than it is for them and I want you to remember that. Tell them when you feel comfortable enough to. Sometimes, we are instantly OK with telling them, and sometimes we are never OK with it.

I hope to see you on the forums, and I am very interested in your perspectives on a lot of issues that we atheists have to, or maybe choose to, deal with. It's nice to see someone close to my age around here, we don't have a lot of ACTIVE users that are like that. This forum is a diverse group of people, and we are always happy to accept another person who has a critical mind and is not willing to admit when he is wrong, or concede on a point when it is a post cause. Most importantly, we are more than willing to accept someone who is not afraid to be honest, and ask honest questions.

Also, if you are up for a chat with other teens hit up the teens section and browse the threads there, maybe you will find some similarity with what others are experiencing and what you are.

Keep evaluating your stances on things such as science, philosophy and morals, because a self-correcting human is a more ethical, honest and logical than a person mindlessly following what others tell them without a hint of doubt.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you find whatever you are looking for here.

-Steven

Yah, I'm not sure about telling them. If I do I think I'll do it after The holiday season. But thanks for the advice and your story!
02-12-2012, 02:56 PM
hi Drock
Welcome to the forum and the free thinking world.
If you wanna come out to your family, you might wanna talk to Atothetheist a little. He is your age and he can tell you first hand what it's like to come out to your parents. Maybe he has some good advice.

Generally I do agree with Chas though. Better wait until 18. Often teenagers come out and have to find out that their parents do not help them on their chosen way, trying to convince you back into brainwashing, more bible school and so on. It can be horrible, think about it really well, before you start living "hell" for at least 4 more years.

Apart from that, have a cookie "offering welcome cookie and hot chocolate"

cheers
Leela

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Welcome.

[Image: vjp09.gif]