Hello from across the pond

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2015, 07:38 PM
Hello from across the pond
I'm never very good at these sort of introduction posts.

I'm a closeted semi-spiritual agnostic. The reason I'm not openly secular is because my father is a preacher. I actually just finished listening to the podcast on preachers' kids and that was the final push for me to register here.

I'm a grown adult and married to a fellow agnostic. A couple of years ago I moved to Europe from the US to be with him, so I'm plenty safe in my non-belief here (I find it funny that the "atheist" country I now live in celebrates more Christian holidays and behaves more charitably than the US... go figure). I just still rely emotionally a lot on my family as I haven't built up a solid social circle here in my new home yet, so I don't want to cause a rift with my highly religious family.

I'm currently unemployed, but I enjoy things like science, especially astrophysics and space travel, and I do some fiction writing and doodling for fun and spend far too much time online.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like sarah_stardust's post
12-11-2015, 08:14 PM
RE: Hello from across the pond
Let me be the first to welcome you to our little corner of sanity.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
12-11-2015, 08:16 PM
Welcome Sarah Smile

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
12-11-2015, 08:19 PM
(12-11-2015 07:38 PM)sarah_stardust Wrote:  I'm a closeted semi-spiritual agnostic.

Da fuq is that? And welcome.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-11-2015, 08:19 PM
Welcome to TTA, Sarah.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-11-2015, 08:24 PM
Hello! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
12-11-2015, 08:26 PM
You related to Ziggy?

#sigh
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-11-2015, 08:31 PM
Hi! My father's a preacher, too. I also moved--to Boston--to get away from the mindset.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
12-11-2015, 08:56 PM
Thanks for all the friendly welcomes!

(12-11-2015 08:19 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 07:38 PM)sarah_stardust Wrote:  I'm a closeted semi-spiritual agnostic.

Da fuq is that? And welcome.

Closeted as opposed to being open about my beliefs. I think there's probably some sort of spiritual side of life, perhaps some sort of collective consciousness based on things I've experienced and can't quite explain, but I'm not into any sort of practice or following any sort of ideologies that fall under spiritualism, so that's why I said semi-spiritual. Agnostic, I acknowledge that there might be something else out there, but I'm not certain and am okay with not knowing for sure. I just don't think it's anything in line with any current religions, at least none that I've looked into, if there is anything.

Eh, I'm an open-minded seeker and questioner and definitely no longer religious even though I used to be. I'm still in transition, I suppose, so if I've confused you, it's probably because I'm still not certain myself, lol. I'm enjoying the learning I'm doing on the journey, though.

Also... LOL... nice on the Ziggy Stardust reference. I was going more for the idea that we are all made of star dust, but figured someone was bound to take it the way you did, too, haha.
[+] 4 users Like sarah_stardust's post
12-11-2015, 08:57 PM
Welcome Smile

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes izel's post