Hello, from an ex-atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2016, 07:57 AM
Hello, from an ex-atheist
Hello, everyone. I am new to forums in general so I'm not sure what to say. I guess I'll start with my beliefs.

I identify as agnostic. I was an agnostic atheist for about 5 years but then transitioned to just agnostic when I found good reasons to believe in a deistic type of god. I know "agnostic" is an argued term, but I use it because I think most people recognize it is used as a sort of "middle ground" between theism and atheism, even if they don't agree with it. Over the past couple of weeks, I have been struggling with defining these terms and I've found that what made me an atheist was that I was pretty sure that no gods existed. So when I found good reasons for the existence of a god I was no longer "pretty sure", I was uncertain. And that made me feel like I couldn't identify with other atheists (though I was already having problems with that) nor did I think I felt like an atheist, so I thought agnostic made more sense.

So that's how I transitioned from atheist to agnostic. I spent so much time on that just because I think it's a fairly rare change compared to theist to atheist. Also I know agnostic itself is disliked by most atheists, so I felt the need to explain what I mean by it.

Anyway, some other things:
  • My favorite academic subjects are mathematics and computer science, which go hand-in-hand. Insight into these fields are what influenced my transition to agnostic.
  • I like science, but on a more theoretical/conceptual level. My interest comes from my urge to understand the fundamental truths of reality, so I'm not really interested in the more pragmatic of scientific fields. My favorite science in high school was physics.
  • I like Japanese stuff. Mainly anime and manga. That sort of stuff. In general, I like cartoons for their removal from reality. I have watched most episodes of Family Guy and South Park multiple times while I've never touched Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones. I do like old sitcoms though.

So that's some stuff about me. I only joined to make a post in the "Atheism and Theism" forum (from which I was advised to introduce myself here first), but I'm hoping to continue being part of the community.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2016, 08:20 AM
RE: Hello, from an ex-atheist
(12-10-2016 07:57 AM)unknowndevil666 Wrote:  Hello, everyone. I am new to forums in general so I'm not sure what to say. I guess I'll start with my beliefs.

I identify as agnostic. I was an agnostic atheist for about 5 years but then transitioned to just agnostic when I found good reasons to believe in a deistic type of god.

That would make you an agnostic deist, then.

Quote:My favorite academic subjects are mathematics and computer science, which go hand-in-hand. Insight into these fields are what influenced my transition to agnostic.

How did that influence it? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-10-2016, 08:21 AM
Welcome! Just out of curiosity, what are your good reasons for believing in the possibility of a deity? Also, I don't really believe in labels. People aren't food in the grocery store. If you want to use a label, call yourself whatever *you* are comfortable with.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
12-10-2016, 08:37 AM
Welcome!
12-10-2016, 09:23 AM
(12-10-2016 08:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 07:57 AM)unknowndevil666 Wrote:  My favorite academic subjects are mathematics and computer science, which go hand-in-hand. Insight into these fields are what influenced my transition to agnostic.

How did that influence it? Consider

I don't know if I can say they lead directly into me thinking "Hey, a god can exist", but they did influence my worldview which eventually adopted an idea of god. Specifically, some of the concepts were (and I added some from physics as well):
  • the omnipresence of complexity
  • information theory
  • how axioms define truths as well as the results of Godel's Incompleteness Theorems
  • set theory as the foundation of mathematics
  • Einstein's relativity
  • quantum field theory
  • multiverse/simulation theory
Some of the beliefs I began to develop over time were (roughly):
  • physical and mathematical reality as one in the same
  • reality is not bound to the universe we live in
  • existence (and very recently time and space) as relative to systems (vague, I know)
I'm going to stop here 'cause my head is starting to hurt trying to remember things.
Oh, and as for the agnostic deist thing, I'll be taking note of that Angel
12-10-2016, 09:26 AM
(12-10-2016 08:21 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Welcome! Just out of curiosity, what are your good reasons for believing in the possibility of a deity? Also, I don't really believe in labels. People aren't food in the grocery store. If you want to use a label, call yourself whatever *you* are comfortable with.

Well I'm glad that you accept my label Big Grin
Anyway, I'll just point you to my reply to Chas for now. Ask again if you wish!
12-10-2016, 09:38 AM
Welcome to the forums Smile
Quote:Also I know agnostic itself is disliked by most atheists
You appear overly concerned with labels.
Try just being yourself Smile
We have several theists here that are universally liked and respected by the vast majority. If somebody is respectful, open to other ideas, and participates constructively in discussions it does not matter what label they choose, or not.
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
12-10-2016, 10:29 AM
(12-10-2016 07:57 AM)unknowndevil666 Wrote:  Hello, everyone. I am new to forums in general so I'm not sure what to say. I guess I'll start with my beliefs.

I identify as agnostic. I was an agnostic atheist for about 5 years but then transitioned to just agnostic when I found good reasons to believe in a deistic type of god. I know "agnostic" is an argued term, but I use it because I think most people recognize it is used as a sort of "middle ground" between theism and atheism, even if they don't agree with it. Over the past couple of weeks, I have been struggling with defining these terms and I've found that what made me an atheist was that I was pretty sure that no gods existed. So when I found good reasons for the existence of a god I was no longer "pretty sure", I was uncertain. And that made me feel like I couldn't identify with other atheists (though I was already having problems with that) nor did I think I felt like an atheist, so I thought agnostic made more sense.

So that's how I transitioned from atheist to agnostic. I spent so much time on that just because I think it's a fairly rare change compared to theist to atheist. Also I know agnostic itself is disliked by most atheists, so I felt the need to explain what I mean by it.

Anyway, some other things:
  • My favorite academic subjects are mathematics and computer science, which go hand-in-hand. Insight into these fields are what influenced my transition to agnostic.
  • I like science, but on a more theoretical/conceptual level. My interest comes from my urge to understand the fundamental truths of reality, so I'm not really interested in the more pragmatic of scientific fields. My favorite science in high school was physics.
  • I like Japanese stuff. Mainly anime and manga. That sort of stuff. In general, I like cartoons for their removal from reality. I have watched most episodes of Family Guy and South Park multiple times while I've never touched Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones. I do like old sitcoms though.

So that's some stuff about me. I only joined to make a post in the "Atheism and Theism" forum (from which I was advised to introduce myself here first), but I'm hoping to continue being part of the community.

Welcome Unknown. Hope you stick around, you seem level headed just confused.

I identified as an agnostic for some time. before finialy realizing is just a softer form of one side. I know identify as an agnostic atheist.

The best way to explain this is

We have a jar of marbles. You and I can both agree in this jar there is ether a Odd or a Even amount. We also would agree that it can only be one or the other. A statement that I don't know the amount. And i'm not going to make a conclusion until enough facts are presented.

So the same is for God. Ether there is some sort of god or there isn't. No middle ground. But you can also say that you don't know. And that's pretty much atheism. I can't disprove something I don't know. Nor is it my job to prove other conclude that there is a even amount of marbles in a jar. Evidence always falls on the one making the claim.

Now there are people that are hard atheists that don't and wont believe. And there are soft atheist that don't believe but would with enough proof.

I'm also interested in your good reasons for god. Perhaps you've discovered something we haven't. Or perhaps this ideas that you've attributed haven't been challenged. In ether case I sure many of us would like to hear. Perhaps when you have time you can explained on that subject.

CYA

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
12-10-2016, 11:03 AM
(12-10-2016 09:38 AM)skyking Wrote:  You appear overly concerned with labels.
We have several theists here that are universally liked and respected by the vast majority. If somebody is respectful, open to other ideas, and participates constructively in discussions it does not matter what label they choose, or not.

I'm glad for that Thumbsup
I've just been in an intellectual struggle about what meanings of labels make the most sense after watching Matt Dillahunty's latest discussion video ("You're not an atheist, you're an agnostic") on his Youtube channel. It's a more complex an interesting issue than it seems at first glance!
12-10-2016, 11:18 AM
(12-10-2016 11:03 AM)unknowndevil666 Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 09:38 AM)skyking Wrote:  You appear overly concerned with labels.

I'm glad for that Thumbsup
I've just been in an intellectual struggle about what meanings of labels make the most sense after watching Matt Dillahunty's latest discussion video ("You're not an atheist, you're an agnostic") on his Youtube channel. It's a more complex an interesting issue than it seems at first glance!

You can always bag labels and just live in the gray area. Wink Sometimes several different (and conflicting) philosophies can make up your worldview. You don't have to exist in black and white thinking.

For example, if I *was* going to label myself, I would say I'm an atheist, but I love the spirituality of Hinduism and yoga and I have incorporated many of the yogic principles into my life. So am I an atheist or am I more spiritual? Or am I a spiritual atheist? I also go to church sometimes and enjoy reading the Bible and other religious works. So am I an atheist spiritual cultural Christian who enjoys learning about various religions from an anthropological and historical point of view? Tongue
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post