Hello from downunder

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2012, 07:21 AM
Hello from downunder
My name is Eric, but on the internet I prefer the name "Hoax". Its a name with no special significance beyond my self imposed requirement of a short, 3-4 letter name that would be easy to type out in the FPS games I had started playing back in 2000.

I live in a small town north of Sydney called Cooranbong, a utterly insignificant little bump on the map that is slowly becoming my personal hell. You see, I used to be a christian, specifically I used to be a Seventh Day Adventist.
What does that have to do with Cooranbong?
Cooranbong is one of the spiritual centers for the SDA church, significant thanks to the prophet Ellen White having been told in one of her visions from god to build a collage on a plot of grass that would later be named Avondale College
There are no less than 4 churches within 20min walking distance of me right now and no fewer than about 10 within a 30min drive, all of the SDA denomination.

I have been an atheist for about 2 years. I have lived in Cooranbong for the past 5. Thus I don't think it should surprise many of you to learn that of my friends (not from the internet) all are christians, and all but one are of SDA backgrounds. The latter one who is not is instead an agnostic theist.

Lately, I have never felt more alone. Listening to my friend tell me how her natural therapist has her on a vegan diet to try and dissolve her gallstones, or listening to other fiends discuss political and social views (and their reasons for those views) is beginning to drive me more than a little batty.

So yeah, thats me.

Hi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Savagehoax's post
11-10-2012, 07:34 AM
RE: Hello from downunder
G'day

cwutididthur?

[Image: vjp09.gif]
11-10-2012, 07:42 AM
Another Australian, good to know.. we are growing in numbers.
Too bad you're a Sydney-Sider.. I feel alone 'N out numbered.

In my local area we got at a few SDA settlements, (at least) one church, and old folk village set up by 'em, and an indoctrination centre... wanna throw bricks at it.

Anyway, good to "meet" you, lookin' forward to seeing you around.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
11-10-2012, 07:45 AM
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
11-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Hello from downunder
Sup Eric?
Welcome. Hope you find some relief here from the prophet EGg White and her soulless minions!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
11-10-2012, 04:35 PM
I had no idea 7DA were so numerous in Australia, poor bastards. I don't really know the differences between 7DA and Jehovah's Witnesses, but I do know they are similar, and they both annoy the shit out of me and they are a minority here. I can only imagine living in a town full of 'em. Maybe it's time to consider moving; assuming your old enough to do so. Good luck.

11-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Welcome, Savage, 'bout time we got another one around here.

(11-10-2012 07:21 AM)Savagehoax Wrote:  You see, I used to be a christian, specifically I used to be a Seventh Day Adventist.

The Seventh Day Adventist World Headquarters is right down the street from me. Not sure why the religiomous seem to like Maryland so much but there's also a Buddhist Temple, a Hindu Temple, an Iglesia de Baptiste Calvary (yeah, the zoning sign said Calvary Baptist Church, clever fuckers), a couple of Jewish Synagogues and a couple of Unitarian Universalist Churches all within a couple miles of me. All I can figure is that the atheists around here are so evolved that we can no longer distinguish the subtle differences among the delusional and tolerate them all so long as they stay the fuck outta our faces. Big Grin

Breathing - it's more art than science.
11-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Welcome, fellow Ozzie Smile

Our numbers are building.... Big Grin

(Melbournite here)

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
11-10-2012, 08:12 PM
I don't understand how there are so many Aussie atheists. Or Aussies. From what the internet tells me you are in danger of being eaten by something 24/7 and those of you still alive look just like Crocodile Dundee.

I know that the women don't look like that because I've seen pictures of Aurora. Wonderful compromising pictures. Thanks Erx.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
11-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Welcome Hoax. Personally i haven't met a SDA yet but they seem pretty nutty according to what i've heard. But you'll enjoy it here and hopefully you'll relieve the battyness Thumbsup

I ate the eleven Hunters before me Smile