Hello from the Bible belt!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Hello from the Bible belt!
Hey everyone!

I'm from the same neck of the woods as Seth. I've followed TheThinkingAtheist for... eh, probably two and a half years? Since before "Welcome to This World" originally came out. I am a huge fan of science and philosophy (I'm a bit of a devil's advocate when it comes to Atheism though - I argue Spinoza's God a lot although I don't agree with it completely). My favorite area of science is astronomy - I get a little bit of a boner for the prospect of finding live microbes on Mars or colonizing the solar system. I don't have a very strong understanding of physics but I have a decent hold on biology and evolution.

I used to be a very fundamentalist Christian, then a liberal Christian, then a deist, pantheist, and then Atheist. So I went in small steps. Anyway, hi. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2013, 03:39 PM
RE: Hello from the Bible belt!
Hey and welcome to TTA!

[Image: vjp09.gif]
04-04-2013, 03:47 PM
I came to atheism from christianity using roughly the same route. And here were are at TTA! It must be........pure coincidence!! Still cool though. Smile Where in the Bible Belt? I live in KC now (thank....G....coincidence again), but originally hailed from Arkansas! I most likely feel your pain before you speak it Wink

04-04-2013, 03:56 PM
(04-04-2013 03:47 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  I came to atheism from christianity using roughly the same route. And here were are at TTA! It must be........pure coincidence!! Still cool though. Smile Where in the Bible Belt? I live in KC now (thank....G....coincidence again), but originally hailed from Arkansas! I most likely feel your pain before you speak it Wink

Oklahoma! I have yet to meet another Atheist, or at least one who would talk about it. Ever. Undecided
04-04-2013, 04:22 PM
My sincerest condolences!! I had to move from Arkansas to KC when I was 14 for the indoctrination to begin to evaporate. Christian academy till 4th grade, & AWEful public schooling 5th & 6th grade when my parents ran out of money, then bang, off to a nice KC suburb school where learning was awesome, & made easy, etc... Had I stayed, it may have taken me much MUCH longer to come to Atheism if at all, what with all the reinforcment found EVERYwhere down there. (not a huge fan of the movie but loved the premise)--It's like that scene in the matrix when Neo wakes up out of the computer world. It felt THAT hard to free myself from the goop!! Nearly all my family still live down there, & I'd never broach the subject with any of 'em because I just want to visit and laugh, not argue! But I don't have to LIVE with any of them, or "down there" in general anymore. So, again, my condolences!!!! You'll meet plenty here Smile

04-04-2013, 04:24 PM
You'll meet plenty ATHEISTS here, I meanSmile

04-04-2013, 04:25 PM
(04-04-2013 04:22 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  My sincerest condolences!! I had to move from Arkansas to KC when I was 14 for the indoctrination to begin to evaporate. Christian academy till 4th grade, & AWEful public schooling 5th & 6th grade when my parents ran out of money, then bang, off to a nice KC suburb school where learning was awesome, & made easy, etc... Had I stayed, it may have taken me much MUCH longer to come to Atheism if at all, what with all the reinforcment found EVERYwhere down there. (not a huge fan of the movie but loved the premise)--It's like that scene in the matrix when Neo wakes up out of the computer world. It felt THAT hard to free myself from the goop!! Nearly all my family still live down there, & I'd never broach the subject with any of 'em because I just want to visit and laugh, not argue! But I don't have to LIVE with any of them, or "down there" in general anymore. So, again, my condolences!!!! You'll meet plenty here Smile

I genuinely hope so. I do have to say, among the younger members of my family who know I'm an Atheist, they don't seem to care at all. I feel like that's an encouraging sign. I would never tell the older members of my family - I don't really feel like being shunned as an "infidel" so to speak. My family is great and I couldn't have been more fortunate than to have a family that would allow me to be who I wanted to be and to explore scientific literature to my heart's content, but they're all pretty hardcore believers.
04-04-2013, 04:35 PM
They're ALL followers in "the Natural State" of AR, as far as I know, or at least that's how it feels. Sure there's plenty of Christians in & around KC, but I never see them, or notice them. Maybe they're just quiet here. I like those type of christians Wink Don't hear anywhere NEAR as many "thank god" and "praise jesus" comments being said out loud, if at all!

04-04-2013, 04:37 PM
I dont know if I'd enjoy living down there again because of the people, but it's beautiful down there in the Ozarks. Wish I could transplant landscapes Sad

04-04-2013, 04:37 PM
(04-04-2013 04:35 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  They're ALL followers in "the Natural State" of AR, as far as I know, or at least that's how it feels. Sure there's plenty of Christians in & around KC, but I never see them, or notice them. Maybe they're just quiet here. I like those type of christians Wink Don't hear anywhere NEAR as many "thank god" and "praise jesus" comments being said out loud, if at all!

I can feel that. I went to a funeral the other day and it spent maybe three minutes on the person and the rest of the time was about Jesus and Christianity. It made me physically sick. Someone I held dear to my heart was being used as a platform for religion. It made bile rise in my throat.