Hello from the Midwest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2014, 07:08 PM
Hello from the Midwest!
Hi everyone -

A little about myself: I've been atheist since my teens (I'm in my 30's now), but it wasn't until I moved to a small town here in central Illinois a few years ago that I realized it was something that would make me different from almost everyone around me. I was pretty depressed at first, but I've adjusted and learned to just not talk about religion around here.

So I recently discovered TTA's podcast and forum and... wow! I'm blown away by the number of really smart people here making informed and reasoned arguments for rational thought. This is so refreshing! I don't have any kind of formal education (school of hard knocks all the way); I've always just instinctively known that religion is bullshit, I just love to learn from smart people how to better verbalize my thoughts.

Thanks for a great forum,

Mark
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like MarkMac's post
29-10-2014, 07:23 PM
RE: Hello from the Midwest!
Hello neighbor!! I'm in Iowa Big Grin
Nice to meet you, welcome, hope to see you around!

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
29-10-2014, 08:30 PM
Welcome Markmac! Good to have you aboard.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
29-10-2014, 09:05 PM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2014 09:09 PM by RogueWarrior.)
Hmmmm

1st welcome!

2nd You are way too well written for no formal education. You write better than Chaz. Laughat

Quote:Religion is BS
is not necessarily an atheist's stance.

but are you really an atheist? Do you lack belief in the assertion: "There is a supernatural god!"?

Dodgy
29-10-2014, 11:21 PM
Welcome to the forum Mark!

This forum is full of intelligent, well reasoned folks. Also lots of trolls. Watch out for trolls.

Nice to have you aboard.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-10-2014, 06:18 AM
Welcome to TTA.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
30-10-2014, 06:18 AM
(29-10-2014 09:05 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  Hmmmm

1st welcome!

2nd You are way too well written for no formal education. You write better than Chaz. Laughat

You should worry that this 'Chaz' fellow might burn your embassy. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-10-2014, 07:36 AM
(29-10-2014 07:08 PM)MarkMac Wrote:  Hi everyone -

A little about myself: I've been atheist since my teens (I'm in my 30's now), but it wasn't until I moved to a small town here in central Illinois a few years ago that I realized it was something that would make me different from almost everyone around me. I was pretty depressed at first, but I've adjusted and learned to just not talk about religion around here.

So I recently discovered TTA's podcast and forum and... wow! I'm blown away by the number of really smart people here making informed and reasoned arguments for rational thought. This is so refreshing! I don't have any kind of formal education (school of hard knocks all the way); I've always just instinctively known that religion is bullshit, I just love to learn from smart people how to better verbalize my thoughts.

Thanks for a great forum,

Mark

Welcome MarkMac, enjoy your stay, tons of resources and podcasts to fill your knowledge bank. Checkout some threads, start one, jump in anywhere you like. Yes

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
30-10-2014, 04:57 PM
(29-10-2014 09:05 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  
Quote:Religion is BS
is not necessarily an atheist's stance.

but are you really an atheist? Do you lack belief in the assertion: "There is a supernatural god!"?

Dodgy

Are you defining religion as any set of beliefs that's meant to explain the universe, supernatural or not? Maybe "gods/deities do not exist" would be more accurate.

But I consider religion to primarily mean the world's well-known theist sects, which promote superstition and ignorance, and therefore are bullshit.

I do agree with your definition of atheism; it is the lack of belief in any gods, and by that standard I'm definitely an atheist. I think calling theists' beliefs bullshit follows naturally. It's also nice to vent after spending the whole day being polite.
30-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Welcome Mark, I'm in central Illinois too. Smile