Hello from the Polar Vortex

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2014, 12:57 AM
Hello from the Polar Vortex
Hello, all! My name is Rachel, I'm in my late 30's and I live in the currently frozen hell known as Wisconsin. We are experiencing our coldest winter on record. In the summer it truly is a beautiful state though.

I've been a fan of The Thinking Atheist podcasts for over a month and have listened to almost every episode. The moment I found them I was hooked. They were like an incredible burst of fresh air to someone who grew up in a bubble of fundamentalist bullshit. I'm so glad I found them.

As a child I belonged to an evangelical Christian church, was forced to go to tiny Christian schools from 2nd grade to graduation, and lived with oppressive, negative, and occasionally abusive parents--particularly my father.

Once in college, I no longer went to church. The next 15+ years were spent sorting through the questions and doubts I always harbored about Christianity. The canned and formed answers I had been fed by teachers, church leaders, pastors and my father just didn't cut it for me. The process of realizing how bizarre my childhood had been and finally admitting I'm actually an atheist has taken years. But last year, for the first time, I was able to say out loud to myself, "I don't believe in God." It was liberating.

Now I'm filling the gaps in my education that were caused by Christian school and not addressed in college (professors just assume their students have had a "normal" education)--the huge gaps in my knowledge of science and evolution. I'm currently devouring books by Donald Prothero and Jerry Coyne. Wonderful stuff, particularly after decades of being told that evolution didn't happen, its proponents are evil, and the world was created in six days.

I have to admit, I feel very isolated. Northeast Wisconsin is not atheist-friendly, and all of my friends, except one, either believe in God or are full-fledged Bible-thumpers. So I've found my way here. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and allowing me to join this amazing community :-)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Mohs13's post
05-03-2014, 01:21 AM
RE: Hello from the Polar Vortex
Welcome to our community!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

05-03-2014, 01:35 AM
Welcome.

I spent a week in Wisconsin and thought it the most beautiful state I have been in.

Depending upon where you live, being atheist can be a somewhat lonely.

I live in Texas, and I feel like and alien when I say, "no church thank you," I'm atheist. It serves to keep the narrow minded away. Although, there is generally a large empty space around me.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
05-03-2014, 01:57 AM
Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
05-03-2014, 03:13 AM
Yabut. That 70's Show. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-03-2014, 06:44 AM
Welcome. Smile

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-03-2014, 06:48 AM
Welcome aboard!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
05-03-2014, 06:47 PM
(05-03-2014 03:13 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yabut. That 70's Show. Wink

LOL! That 70's Show...beer...Jeffrey Dahmer...Ed Gein...beer...cheese...Brett Favre....beer...Scott Walker... Yes, we have a lot going for us... Confused Ooh, although we did have Frank Lloyd Wright Smile
05-03-2014, 07:53 PM
Quote: In the summer it truly is a beautiful state though.

That's what, though....the week right around the 4th of July?

I fled NY for Arizona because of the cold. Couldn't imagine Wis./Minn./N.Dak.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
05-03-2014, 10:43 PM
(05-03-2014 07:53 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote: In the summer it truly is a beautiful state though.

That's what, though....the week right around the 4th of July?

I fled NY for Arizona because of the cold. Couldn't imagine Wis./Minn./N.Dak.

Yes, that's about right! When my parents are gone, I'm moving to San Diego by my brother. Yes, we have only three good months of summer. Spring and fall are okay, but they can be sketchy. Between the extremes of winter and summer, we can have as much as a 120F temperature difference. That's nuts. How do you like Arizona?