Hello from the Red Sea

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Hello from the Red Sea
I must start by saying, it is so wonderful to join a community of freethinking atheists and secular citizens who openly share thoughts that can be completely set aside from the assumption that God is an all powerful element in everyone's life. Living in Kansas, surrounded by some of the most fundamentalist (and ignorant) Christians in the nation (hence "the Red Sea"), it is quite the barrage of low tossed, mundane insults that I receive being an open atheist with very left views. It is a group of open-minded, freethinking secular fellows that can provide me the encouragement and intellectual refreshment I need from time to time to keep sane, and it is for that reason that I am happy to be joining this forum at The Thinking Atheist!

I was raised American Baptist and was very active in youth groups and church events up until the summer after my freshman year of high school, when I began to gain intellectual courage and started to challenge the doctrine of Christianity with reason. Being a freethinker at heart, and having found a very strong burst of intellectual curiosity after the beginning of high school, I found it hard to be bound by such foolishly incomprehensible, abominable scripture and soon halted my involvement with the church, gaining the courage to stand up for what I believed. But what did I believe? I was first deist, seeing religion as man made and full of fallacies, but still saw reason for a higher power to exist. That all changed after I took general biology, and became fascinated with evolution and biology in general. Such an exquisite idea on the process leading up to consciousness, along with the help of The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, led me to profess myself atheist soon after. I have enjoyed the freedom of thought and reason in all things since, and have never once looked back at religion with regret. I am always debating with the devout to this day, not to win, but to bring reason to others around me. I want all to know the relief and feel-good feeling of truth.

I look forward to expanding my outlook on the world and science with all you fellows here at The Thinking Atheist!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TruAtheist's post
12-04-2012, 10:21 PM
RE: Hello from the Red Sea
Welcome, Tru. It's good to have another recovering Baptist on board!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
13-04-2012, 07:20 AM
RE: Hello from the Red Sea
Welcome!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]