Hello from the desert.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2012, 03:53 AM
Hello from the desert.
Hello everyone,

I am currently serving in the USAF and am deployed to Afghanistan at this moment. I have a couple of more months left out here before I return to my home station at Offutt AFB, Nebraska. While I would have liked to have waited for a couple months until I got home, I felt the need to register and start checking everything out now.

My bio is in my profile and is short enough if you are interested in learning more. Everyone has a life story and I'm sure in time mine will get out to those that are interested if there are any. At this moment I am in-between a rock and hard place as far as a few decisions that need to be made regarding my current state as agnostic leaning toward atheism, and how it is affecting, will affect my relationship with my family who are very Chrstian - Church of Christ.

I look forward to getting to know as many of you as possible and sharing experiences, scenarios, and whatever discussions come about.

Peace.

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes AmishLatinJew's post
26-02-2012, 09:22 AM
RE: Hello from the desert.
Welcome aboard and good luck. Keep in mind that there are plenty of people out there in this community. Hopefully your family will not have too negative of a reaction. I have highly religious friends and family and while they don't like the fact that I'm an atheist most of us get along. Some of them just cannot get their head around any doubt of any kind.

Be safe over there!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
26-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Hey ALJ, we're glad to have you here. Welcome, and I hope you'll find this community a great support!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
26-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the welcome and well wishes. I'll keep checking in and reading the different threads here.
Peace.

26-02-2012, 11:13 AM
ALJ, Welcome to the board. Spent three years in Afghanistan myself. Loved it!
One of the tipping points for me was everything I had witnessed throughout the world. I came to my very own conclusions about the fallacy of religion quite some time ago. Everyone wants to be the popular kid at the lunchroom table, but it doesn't matter when one is going to a school full of retards.
It helped to have an extensive background in cultural anthropology as well.

"I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders...
Thanks for getting off my back!"
-
Arcticspear Idea
[+] 1 user Likes arcticspear's post
26-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Welcome to TTA
Have an insightful stay

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
26-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Welcome to the boards... I just want to ask. What is your definition of "agnostic"? The reason I ask is because many (if not a majority) of atheists consider themselves agnostic atheist as they aren't mutually exclusive to many people I know. Not trying to force you into a position. I'm also wondering your definition of atheist?

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
26-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Welcome to the forum Smile
27-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Welcome! Also, thank you for your service.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
27-02-2012, 11:28 AM
(26-02-2012 01:51 PM)craniumonempty Wrote:  Welcome to the boards... I just want to ask. What is your definition of "agnostic"? The reason I ask is because many (if not a majority) of atheists consider themselves agnostic atheist as they aren't mutually exclusive to many people I know. Not trying to force you into a position. I'm also wondering your definition of atheist?

Thank you for the welcome. And no worries, you are not forcing me to do anything, this is a forum is it not? But I appreciate your caution.

Short Answer: My current state is that while I do not believe in the existence of a higher power, deity, or deities, I leave all possibilities open.

It's safe to say that many atheists believe themselves to be realists. And the definition of a realist changes, like all modern day lingo does, rapidly with the times we are in. But to put not too fine a point on it, I lean toward atheism far more than not. I just have a hard time devoting myself to 1 side in any matter. For instance, I don't care for political parties purely on the fact that the reason all presidents with the exception of the 1st have been elected is almost solely based on political parties.

But specifically about the belief of creationism and theism, we try too hard to hit the nail on the head. It's estimated that there are over 3,000 different denominations of Christianity alone. You won't convince all 3,000 different sects (if you will) with the same argument. In my mind there is no god or deity, at least not one that has been exposed to us as it is.

Evolution alone has so much backing to it that while it, like many sciences, doesn't have all the answers, it proves enough to disprove all religions I have come across.

My own personal issue, is as I said, simply have a hard time announcing myself as completely tied to one side on any issue, including the belief or lack thereof in a higher power.

Many things are improbable, nothing is impossible. I hope this longer than expected response, answers your questions.