Hello from the desert.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2012, 11:32 AM
RE: Hello from the desert.
(27-02-2012 11:28 AM)AmishLatinJew Wrote:  
(26-02-2012 01:51 PM)craniumonempty Wrote:  Welcome to the boards... I just want to ask. What is your definition of "agnostic"? The reason I ask is because many (if not a majority) of atheists consider themselves agnostic atheist as they aren't mutually exclusive to many people I know. Not trying to force you into a position. I'm also wondering your definition of atheist?

Thank you for the welcome. And no worries, you are not forcing me to do anything, this is a forum is it not? But I appreciate your caution.

Short Answer: My current state is that while I do not believe in the existence of a higher power, deity, or deities, I leave all possibilities open.

It's safe to say that many atheists believe themselves to be realists. And the definition of a realist changes, like all modern day lingo does, rapidly with the times we are in. But to put not too fine a point on it, I lean toward atheism far more than not. I just have a hard time devoting myself to 1 side in any matter. For instance, I don't care for political parties purely on the fact that the reason all presidents with the exception of the 1st have been elected is almost solely based on political parties.

But specifically about the belief of creationism and theism, we try too hard to hit the nail on the head. It's estimated that there are over 3,000 different denominations of Christianity alone. You won't convince all 3,000 different sects (if you will) with the same argument. In my mind there is no god or deity, at least not one that has been exposed to us as it is.

Evolution alone has so much backing to it that while it, like many sciences, doesn't have all the answers, it proves enough to disprove all religions I have come across.

My own personal issue, is as I said, simply have a hard time announcing myself as completely tied to one side on any issue, including the belief or lack thereof in a higher power.

Many things are improbable, nothing is impossible. I hope this longer than expected response, answers your questions.

Well said. As I've stated in other threads, a 1 or 7 on the Dawkin's Scale is impossible because no one is omniscient.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Hello there and welcome to a little piece of hell.
MUAHAHAHAH!
Kidding. We're not all that bad.. Well, some of us (Hughsie is).
Make yourself at home, but make sure to write your name on your valuables, for you may wake up in the morning and they may not be there.
Make sure to write in Sharpie. Kim and I like to erase names and help ourselves. ;-)

Anyways, welcome.
And beware.
No seriously beware.
O.e

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes legendoflink's post
29-02-2012, 12:03 PM
(29-02-2012 11:18 AM)xLegendofLink096x Wrote:  Kidding. We're not all that bad.. Well, some of us (Hughsie is).

Yeah that Hughsie's a bastard! He just struts around the place thinking he's awesome and taking cheap shots at everyone, I'd place him on ignore now if I were you!

Big Grin

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
29-02-2012, 01:04 PM
AH!! fresh meat Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
01-03-2012, 03:35 PM
(29-02-2012 12:03 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(29-02-2012 11:18 AM)xLegendofLink096x Wrote:  Kidding. We're not all that bad.. Well, some of us (Hughsie is).

Yeah that Hughsie's a bastard! He just struts around the place thinking he's awesome and taking cheap shots at everyone, I'd place him on ignore now if I were you!

Big Grin

You know that I'm kidding.
That Hughsie is a doll.

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user