Hello from the land of the long white cloud

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2012, 01:45 AM
Hello from the land of the long white cloud
Howdy everyone

My name is Daryl and I am from New Zealand
I'm 21 and gay, I love following American politics via The Young Turks, a suggested video from one of theirs is how I found the Thinking Atheist. As soon as I heard Seth talk I was hooked, I listen to his podcasts before I go to sleep and when I go running.

I have just bought a house and I live on my own, I don't have a huge amount of friends here where I live and I find myself wanting to discuss atheism and politics with free thinkers, and that is hard when most people I know here are christians and don't really care about the world around them.

I work for my parents in there antique and collectables shop http://tinyurl.com/a63tt79

I play hockey in the winter and I have taken up table tennis.

I have recently joined St John as a volunteer ambulance officer

I help with Boys' Brigade, yes it is christian organization, and I always feel a sinking feeling when I hear the devotion at the start but they don't know about my atheism and being gay as I have been apart of the organization for a lot of my life, my friend invited me and I when I was 9 and I am still there as a leader, I am there cause they are down on leaders and I just love seeing kids have fun and even though its in a christian sense, they are still teaching them good morals to live by, and other than the devotion, religion isn't really mentioned.

I like to think of myself as a loving, caring and loyal sort of a guy, I
am very firm on my belief on atheism, and the more I find out about
religion, the more I despise it.

"The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is a knowledge of our own ignorance - Benjamin Franklin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Velociraptor's post
21-11-2012, 01:48 AM
RE: Hello from the land of the long white cloud
Welcome, Cloud Boy!
I think I speak for all of us that we hope you're better than the last Kiwi to join us. Tongue

Anyway, I do hope you find this to be a place of challenge and comfort. Enjoy the ride!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
21-11-2012, 01:56 AM
Cheers for the warm welcome Smile
Talking about kiwis, did you know the banana man was born in New Zealand, I was very embarrassed when I found that out.

"The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is a knowledge of our own ignorance - Benjamin Franklin
[+] 1 user Likes Velociraptor's post
21-11-2012, 01:58 AM
I did not know that either.

Do you know Bret and Jemaine?

How about Dolly the Sheep? Tongue

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
21-11-2012, 02:08 AM
welcome, I strongly suggest you surrender to the madness of the forum instead of fighting it, it's easier that way... trust me

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 3 users Like nach_in's post
21-11-2012, 02:09 AM
I know 4 million people might seem like just a few to you, but funny enough I haven't met them, my parents do have a pet sheep though, her name is Rosy.

[+] 1 user Likes Velociraptor's post
21-11-2012, 02:11 AM
(21-11-2012 01:48 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I think I speak for all of us that we hope you're better than the last Kiwi to join us. Tongue
Huh
You might speak for us if we knew who you were talking about.

Welcome, Velociraptor (can I call you Raptor?), your name belies your outlook on life, one feels.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
21-11-2012, 02:12 AM
(21-11-2012 01:45 AM)Velociraptor Wrote:  I have recently joined St John as a volunteer ambulance officer

Hold the fuck on, St. John as a volunteer ambulance officer, am I reading that right sir?

If so, welcome man, thought I was alone with that, not that I've asked mind.

Whatever the case, I hope to see you around the forums.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
21-11-2012, 02:13 AM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2012 02:16 AM by Velociraptor.)
@nach_in:
I NEVER SURRENDER, unless you have chocolate cake.

Cheers for the advice Smile I'll keep it in mind.

21-11-2012, 02:17 AM
(21-11-2012 02:11 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(21-11-2012 01:48 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I think I speak for all of us that we hope you're better than the last Kiwi to join us. Tongue
Huh
You might speak for us if we knew who you were talking about.

Welcome, Velociraptor (can I call you Raptor?), your name belies your outlook on life, one feels.
Hint: You're the only one who can verify to us that whom of which I speak is a real person.