Hello from whatever I am.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2014, 01:42 PM
Hello from whatever I am.
Hi everyone. I'm not sure if I would call myself an Atheist, or even if I could. I grew up in a Fundamentalist Christian household, and moderated myself over time. Over the past two or so years I've enjoyed reading books by the likes of Marcus Borg and John Shelby Spong, and their philosophy still interests me greatly. Over the past few months, though, I've begun to question even a more "universal consciousness" kind of God. I've long been a pantheist, but I'm beginning to think that pantheism is simply a result of awe regarding the universe. I'm not an anti-theist by any means, but I'm not really sure where I stand.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Nogon's post
10-07-2014, 05:08 PM
RE: Hello from whatever I am.
Welcome, you will find a plethora of experience, differing views, and resources here....use them. Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
10-07-2014, 05:15 PM
Welcome - kick open a thread and feel free to discuss it further Smile
10-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. Big Grin
10-07-2014, 07:08 PM
(10-07-2014 01:42 PM)Nogon Wrote:  Hi everyone. I'm not sure if I would call myself an Atheist, or even if I could.

It gets better easier.
Have you read any Ehrman ?
If you like Spong, you might like Dr. Bernard Brandon Scott's book "The Trouble with Resurrection". He a very *liberal* Christian (I guess). Seminary professor, great scholar.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
10-07-2014, 07:12 PM
(10-07-2014 07:08 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 01:42 PM)Nogon Wrote:  Hi everyone. I'm not sure if I would call myself an Atheist, or even if I could.

It gets better easier.
Have you read any Ehrman ?
If you like Spong, you might like Dr. Bernard Brandon Scott's book "The Trouble with Resurrection". He a very *liberal* Christian (I guess). Seminary professor, great scholar.

From what I've heard from Jesus Seminar members, they prefer "progressive Christian". I don't think I'm any kind of Christian, though.
10-07-2014, 07:47 PM
Welcome, make yourself at home!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-07-2014, 08:33 PM
(10-07-2014 01:42 PM)Nogon Wrote:  Hi everyone. I'm not sure if I would call myself an Atheist, or even if I could. I grew up in a Fundamentalist Christian household, and moderated myself over time. Over the past two or so years I've enjoyed reading books by the likes of Marcus Borg and John Shelby Spong, and their philosophy still interests me greatly. Over the past few months, though, I've begun to question even a more "universal consciousness" kind of God. I've long been a pantheist, but I'm beginning to think that pantheism is simply a result of awe regarding the universe. I'm not an anti-theist by any means, but I'm not really sure where I stand.

Labels schmabels. Pigeon holes schmigeon holes. Don't worry about what to call yourself (atheist, agnostic, deist, gnostic, Wiccan, vegan, wanker, Trekkie, etc.), just be a Nogon—whatever that is.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 2 users Like Jeffasaurus's post
10-07-2014, 08:39 PM
(10-07-2014 08:33 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 01:42 PM)Nogon Wrote:  Hi everyone. I'm not sure if I would call myself an Atheist, or even if I could. I grew up in a Fundamentalist Christian household, and moderated myself over time. Over the past two or so years I've enjoyed reading books by the likes of Marcus Borg and John Shelby Spong, and their philosophy still interests me greatly. Over the past few months, though, I've begun to question even a more "universal consciousness" kind of God. I've long been a pantheist, but I'm beginning to think that pantheism is simply a result of awe regarding the universe. I'm not an anti-theist by any means, but I'm not really sure where I stand.

Labels schmabels. Pigeon holes schmigeon holes. Don't worry about what to call yourself (atheist, agnostic, deist, gnostic, Wiccan, vegan, wanker, Trekkie, etc.), just be a Nogon—whatever that is.

If I had to label myself, I'd like to be called a rationalist. I do like to think that reason is my primary driver. And "nogon" is a result of local accents here. It's a bastardization of "not gonna" as a southerner would say it.
10-07-2014, 11:48 PM
Welcome here is your welcome shark.[Image: Speartooth_shark_melbourne.jpg]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube