Hello guys!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2011, 02:13 AM
Hello guys!
Hi guys I'm from Hong Kong! Soooo excited here! I feel GREAT to have a bunch of Atheists to share ideas with.
Hello again and nice to meet everyone of you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Kalinachu's post
29-11-2011, 04:37 AM
RE: Hello guys!
Hong Kong....whoa.

Welcome to the forums. feel free to reply to threads or make one if it hasn't been made already. Judging from you post I'm going to guess that atheists are in short supply in Hong Kong? If that's the case then welcome to your very own sanctuary.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
29-11-2011, 12:21 PM
I realise now that I broke the rules of the board by not posting in the intro section before I started spreading the smooshy gospel around the rest of the board.

So let's pretend this happened a few days ago. My name is Hannah, I'm from Dublin. I was born in Northern Ireland to Catholic parents who had just decided to join a Protestant Church. So naturally, I'm an atheist.

Now, let's not speak of this again Tongue
[+] 2 users Like Smooshmonster's post
29-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Welcome both of you! This forum is awesome. What is it like where the both of you are from?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-11-2011, 01:16 PM
All is forgiven! LOL.

If you have the fortitude to stick around after tolerating one of my hissy fits then you've earned your place.

......I get grumpy sometimes. Best to just ignore me when I do. You'll get used to me, and a whole lotta other crazies in our dysfunctional little family.

Welcome to you both.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
29-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Welcome to both of you! Hong Kong and Ireland! Awesome! Great to have you both! Exclamation points! Big Grin
29-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Man... Ireland. I wish. My brother and I had planned a trip to the "homeland" (Ireland and Scotland), but it never came to fruition. I can always dream, though. Maybe when I become rich and successful...

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
29-11-2011, 03:13 PM (This post was last modified: 29-11-2011 03:22 PM by Smooshmonster.)
(29-11-2011 12:51 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Welcome both of you! This forum is awesome. What is it like where the both of you are from?

Historically, Ireland is generally very religious, very catholic and in a way it is tied to Irish nationalism. We have no gay marriage, no abortion (unless the woman's life is at risk), and you might have heard about the recent blasphemy law controversy. Almost every child goes through baptism, communion and confirmation (I am a special case here because my parents decided they suddenly wanted to try being protestant for a while). There's a church around every corner and schools are almost exclusively catholic. Also, people will usually identify themselves as catholic even if they don't attend church or believe in the stories.
We do have freedom of religion, but the country is just overwhelmingly catholic

On a personal level, the people themselves are not vocal at all about their religion. I live with 5 other people and I don't know what their religion is. It's not shoved down people's throats (apart from a few signs on buses and the occasional street preacher on grafton street). The number of atheists is growing fast (up 4% in the last 50 years if you believe the census). I am not sure how much of this is related to the child abuse scandal.

Now that I've babbled needlessly, thank you for the welcomes. I'm glad to be here.