Hello handyman/ handywoman!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2017, 06:50 PM
RE: Hello handyman/ handywoman!
If scuffing the melamine and painting them doesn't give good results, you can buy new doors only to put on. Melamine is pretty slick, so expect chipping where the knobs are. You might want to think about escutcheons around the knobs to minimize that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2017, 06:53 PM
There actually is a "Melamine paint" available. I've never used it on actual Melamine, but it works very well on MDF (medium-density fibreboard -- that heavy particle-board stuff with a super-smooth finish).

For painting cabinetry I would wash down the surfaces with TSP and then rinse well (at least twice) and let dry, then apply the paint with a smooth foam mini-roller. Minimum of 2 coats, and let dry at least 24 hours between coats. Do a light sanding with very fine-grade sandpaper (at least 320 grit wet/dry paper) between coats.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-04-2017, 08:33 PM
Auto paint. Paint meant for cars.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
27-04-2017, 08:57 PM
(27-04-2017 08:33 PM)Dom Wrote:  Auto paint. Paint meant for cars.

Well it is either paint for cars or paint that paints itself Tongue

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
27-04-2017, 09:09 PM
To add to my last post- sand the edges of the components so that there is not a sharp edge. Paint will chip easily at the sharp edges. All that is required is that you take the edge off. Could be a chamfer or rounding off; up to you. I do woodworking, and do all kinds of finishes. I also auto (and truck) paint. Big Grin
27-04-2017, 10:50 PM
My guess is replacing the doors outright would be less trouble and avoids the emotional expense long term of watching the paint surface deteriorate (and try to patch it).

Or glue a nice veneer on, with an adhesive that sticks to melamine - that'd be cheaper than doors. The veneer could be wood, plastic, or metal, providing a lot of options for final finish appearance.

Thinking further about it, even a coat of paint that does stick to Melamine is itself a thin fragile surface easily marred, and in a kitchen the opportunities for dinging fragile surfaces are innumerable. Paint on kitchen cabinet doors is probably a bad idea for the same reasons painted countertops are.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post