Hello - just signed up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2017, 09:49 AM
Hello - just signed up
Hey...

A little about me. I am a Catholic Christian, so let's get that out of the way right up front.

There was a time in my life that I was atheist. Religious belief and expression made no sense. And then one day, atheism was no longer reasonable to me. So that's my story.

The reason i am here is that I think religious belief is horribly represented in these types of discussions sometimes, and I think I can offer a different perspective. I also think atheism can be horribly represented by those who have not actually "considered" and "contemplated", but because atheism is "cool" and goes with that latest Goth phase one finds themselves in.

I'm not interested in discussing atheism and faith with "fashion atheists".

So - glad to be here. I hope to add some food for thought here form time to time, and I promised will openly consider yours.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2017, 10:09 AM
RE: Hello - just signed up
Welcome, JH. We're glad you're here.
21-01-2017, 10:12 AM
(21-01-2017 09:49 AM)JHaysPE Wrote:  There was a time in my life that I was atheist. Religious belief and expression made no sense. And then one day, atheism was no longer reasonable to me. So that's my story.

The intro section is not a place for discussions so start another thread and I'm sure you'll get some. I'll be interested to hear why you believe theism is reasonable but atheism is not (and what definition you are using for atheism).

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
21-01-2017, 10:13 AM
(21-01-2017 09:49 AM)JHaysPE Wrote:  Hey...

A little about me. I am a Catholic Christian, so let's get that out of the way right up front.

There was a time in my life that I was atheist. Religious belief and expression made no sense. And then one day, atheism was no longer reasonable to me. So that's my story.

The reason i am here is that I think religious belief is horribly represented in these types of discussions sometimes, and I think I can offer a different perspective. I also think atheism can be horribly represented by those who have not actually "considered" and "contemplated", but because atheism is "cool" and goes with that latest Goth phase one finds themselves in.

I'm not interested in discussing atheism and faith with "fashion atheists".

So - glad to be here. I hope to add some food for thought here form time to time, and I promised will openly consider yours.

There are so many preconceptions, assumptions, and stereotypes embedded in your post that I won't comment on any. Those will need a thread outside of Introductions.

You are welcome to try your luck here.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
21-01-2017, 10:15 AM
Welcome to TTA.

Yeah, you'll probably get some push-back later in a No True Scotsman kinda way but not on a first date.

DLJ
(always an atheist; never a Goth. Couldn't stand The Smiths)

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
21-01-2017, 10:36 AM
Hello! Big Grin
21-01-2017, 10:40 AM
Welcome. I'm neither goth nor cool Big Grin

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
21-01-2017, 10:44 AM
If I deify Morrisey does that compromise my atheism?
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
21-01-2017, 10:46 AM
Welcome.

About how you see atheism - you made me laugh so that's a plus.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
21-01-2017, 10:53 AM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2017 11:16 AM by GirlyMan.)
(21-01-2017 09:49 AM)JHaysPE Wrote:  There was a time in my life that I was atheist. Religious belief and expression made no sense. And then one day, atheism was no longer reasonable to me.

That was the day I realized I had been God all along. Wasted all that time seeking something right in front of my face the whole time.

Anywhos, welcome heathen. Have some Smiths on DLJ.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post