Hello - just signed up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2017, 02:11 PM
RE: Hello - just signed up
Welcome to the forum. A few thoughts for you:

Quote:A little about me. I am a Catholic Christian, so let's get that out of the way right up front.

Thanks. Always handy to know a person's background. What else can you tell us about yourself aside from your beliefs?

No worries about that. We don't shoot people on sight for their beliefs. You may be asked to justify them but only if you get into a debate about them. We have a few long time theists on the forum. You've already met our resident sandworm.

Quote:There was a time in my life that I was atheist. Religious belief and expression made no sense. And then one day, atheism was no longer reasonable to me. So that's my story.

I'd be interested in hearing more about that but Intro threads are neither the time nor place.

Quote:The reason i am here is that I think religious belief is horribly represented in these types of discussions sometimes, and I think I can offer a different perspective.

You have no idea how right you are. Though it would be more accurate to say that in many cases the religious beliefs represented are horrible. We have our drive-bys and our short-lived proselytizers. We also have our other long time theists such as Pops and Borg. Weeping Take a browse through their threads and you'll get some indication of how much work you have to do to get banned from this forum on the basis of belief alone. The Management takes no responsibility for any drain bamage you may suffer as a result.

Quote:I also think atheism can be horribly represented by those who have not actually "considered" and "contemplated", but because atheism is "cool" and goes with that latest Goth phase one finds themselves in.

I'm not interested in discussing atheism and faith with "fashion atheists".

That's good. It would take us some effort to find one for you if you were. Have a browse through the Personal Issues section to get a sense of how serious atheism and its consequences are for some of the members here.

A few tips if I may?

- Lurk. Get to know us. It'll help anything you say go better if you know your audience.

- Avoid assumptions. I'm sure you hate it when some fool tells you that you're an idolater/pagan/not True Christian because you venerate the Virgin Mary and other Saints. We enjoy being told what we think every bit as much. Tell us why we're wrong and you'll get up our noses. Ask us what we think and you might have an interesting conversation.

- Avoid the Atheism and Theism section for a while. Crap you've already posted there. OK, minimize it. This forum has a whole slew of sections devoted to topics unrelated to religion or belief. Post there for a bit and get to know us as people before going into religion. You might find that we have a whole lot in common.

- If you are going to want to discuss religion then you're going to get mobbed. It's a forum full of atheists after all. A 1-on-1 debate might suit you better, for which you will want The Boxing Ring. Ignore the scary name but pick your debating partner well.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
21-01-2017, 02:37 PM
(21-01-2017 09:49 AM)JHaysPE Wrote:  Hey...

A little about me. I am a Catholic Christian, so let's get that out of the way right up front.

There was a time in my life that I was atheist. Religious belief and expression made no sense. And then one day, atheism was no longer reasonable to me. So that's my story.

The reason i am here is that I think religious belief is horribly represented in these types of discussions sometimes, and I think I can offer a different perspective. I also think atheism can be horribly represented by those who have not actually "considered" and "contemplated", but because atheism is "cool" and goes with that latest Goth phase one finds themselves in.

I'm not interested in discussing atheism and faith with "fashion atheists".

So - glad to be here. I hope to add some food for thought here form time to time, and I promised will openly consider yours.

There is no God and there is no Devil. There is however, whatever you want that to be, to make you feel comfortable and as is. Also, welcome to the forum, friend.

"..Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live..."
21-01-2017, 05:12 PM
(21-01-2017 09:49 AM)JHaysPE Wrote:  atheism is "cool" and goes with that latest Goth phase

Visigoth, or Ostrogoth? Visi, sure, but you callin me an Ostro, we got a prollem! Angry

Welcome, tho Shy

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
22-01-2017, 07:27 AM
Can’t wait to discuss Catholicism with you. Maybe we can start a thread on dogmas and which ones you know and follow and which ones you don’t know or don’t follow.
Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
22-01-2017, 10:22 AM
(22-01-2017 07:27 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Can’t wait to discuss Catholicism with you. Maybe we can start a thread on dogmas and which ones you know and follow and which ones you don’t know or don’t follow.
Thumbsup

I don't recommend taking FC up on it dude, he probably knows more than you. Drinking Beverage Just a guess. And not trying to be offensive; just to build off the advice Paleophyte already gave you (which was all excellent btw), it's just that none of our atheist brethren here tend to be of the type that are rebelling against mommy and daddy, or trying to be edgy and cool. They tend to be the ones who really looked into the beliefs they came out of with a critical and thorough eye. It wasn't, often, a happy skipping away from Christianity like dropping a dime, as much as, for several of them, a multi-year separation involving extensive study.

It's a secondary reason, if I had to guess, why Paleophyte recommended you minimize the Atheism and Theism board at first and get to know people first. That place is no holds barred. Most of the regular atheists here really do like KC, Aliza, and to an extent, I believe, myself. But if we say something and they know a refutation for it, they won't use kid gloves there.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
22-01-2017, 11:36 AM
Thanks for all the replies. My provocative OP seemed to have the desired affect. Look forward to discussing "un-faith" with all of you.
22-01-2017, 12:11 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2017 12:26 PM by Szuchow.)
If desired effect was to appear clownish (goth phase, fashion atheists) then yes, you can say that your OP had desired effect. Drinking Beverage

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
22-01-2017, 12:20 PM
(22-01-2017 11:36 AM)JHaysPE Wrote:  Thanks for all the replies. My provocative OP seemed to have the desired affect. Look forward to discussing "un-faith" with all of you.

Not a good start, right now I predict you are heartily patting yourself on the back at having proclaimed superiority over us slobbering heathens, trust me you have not, you are not special and we have debunked far more than you ! Prepare yourself for a tough ride if you manage to stay on our home turf you will gain respect, but do not think for a moment your god is offering any thing resembling help on here.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
22-01-2017, 01:30 PM
(21-01-2017 10:46 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Welcome.

About how you see atheism - you made me laugh so that's a plus.
That was my intention...so win/win
22-01-2017, 01:34 PM
(22-01-2017 12:20 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Not a good start, right now I predict you are heartily patting yourself on the back at having proclaimed superiority over us slobbering heathens,
Don't be so hard on yourself...

(22-01-2017 12:20 PM)adey67 Wrote:  trust me you have not, you are not special and we have debunked far more than you ! Prepare yourself for a tough ride if you manage to stay on our home turf you will gain respect, but do not think for a moment your god is offering any thing resembling help on here.
Hear...hear. You have no idea who I am...

I do look forward to discussing faith, or lack thereof, and encourage you to look me up and chat me up.