Hello - just signed up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2017, 01:40 PM
RE: Hello - just signed up
(22-01-2017 10:22 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I don't recommend taking FC up on it dude, he probably knows more than you. Drinking Beverage Just a guess. And not trying to be offensive; just to build off the advice Paleophyte already gave you (which was all excellent btw), it's just that none of our atheist brethren here tend to be of the type that are rebelling against mommy and daddy, or trying to be edgy and cool. They tend to be the ones who really looked into the beliefs they came out of with a critical and thorough eye. It wasn't, often, a happy skipping away from Christianity like dropping a dime, as much as, for several of them, a multi-year separation involving extensive study.

It's a secondary reason, if I had to guess, why Paleophyte recommended you minimize the Atheism and Theism board at first and get to know people first. That place is no holds barred. Most of the regular atheists here really do like KC, Aliza, and to an extent, I believe, myself. But if we say something and they know a refutation for it, they won't use kid gloves there.
Thanks for the heads up. I have over 15 years of experience in various forums discussing religion and not. I selected this site to point people from my Twitter feed who might want to discuss beyond 140 characters. This seemed like a good site to do that - sensibly moderated, with intelligence and an interest in forwarding atheistic expression.

As for detailed discussions of a particular creedal belief system - that would seem to me to be lost on people who don't accept "god". I find that sometimes, those who claim a particular "religion" as being the cause of "atheism" can be fairly easily exposed as "poorly catechised". I'd much rather spend my time with the the "unconsidered".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2017, 01:45 PM
(21-01-2017 12:50 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Welcome I guess.

Former Catholic.

What's a 'fashion atheist'...have to say that's a new one on me.
Lol...the one who's "atheist" this week, "new age" next week, and then answers the alter call at Church Camp this summer.

Not meant as a slam; I'd just prefer to engage people who "own" their positions. Considered, contemplated, well-thought. That sort of thing.
22-01-2017, 02:03 PM
(22-01-2017 11:36 AM)JHaysPE Wrote:  Thanks for all the replies. My provocative OP seemed to have the desired affect. Look forward to discussing "un-faith" with all of you.

Nope. Not going to waste time with someone who doesn't even know the difference between affect and effect.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
22-01-2017, 02:05 PM
(22-01-2017 02:03 PM)julep Wrote:  
(22-01-2017 11:36 AM)JHaysPE Wrote:  Thanks for all the replies. My provocative OP seemed to have the desired affect. Look forward to discussing "un-faith" with all of you.

Nope. Not going to waste time with someone who doesn't even know the difference between affect and effect.
You just did...thanks for the warm welcome.
22-01-2017, 02:32 PM
(22-01-2017 02:05 PM)JHaysPE Wrote:  
(22-01-2017 02:03 PM)julep Wrote:  Nope. Not going to waste time with someone who doesn't even know the difference between affect and effect.
You just did...thanks for the warm welcome.

Ooh, that would really be a major burn and almost appropriate...if this were a private conversation.
22-01-2017, 08:17 PM
(22-01-2017 02:03 PM)julep Wrote:  

Or alter and altar. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-01-2017, 08:23 PM
(22-01-2017 01:45 PM)JHaysPE Wrote:  
(21-01-2017 12:50 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Welcome I guess.

Former Catholic.

What's a 'fashion atheist'...have to say that's a new one on me.
Lol...the one who's "atheist" this week, "new age" next week, and then answers the alter call at Church Camp this summer.

Not meant as a slam; I'd just prefer to engage people who "own" their positions. Considered, contemplated, well-thought. That sort of thing.

I am well past the age of going through phases. I have been atheist for many decades and wasn't much of a believer as a kid. I checked out the new age stuff, occult, Satanism, Wicca, and various other things in a period of about three years...a long time ago. I wanted to be sure there wasn't something out there that made more sense to me. I was raised Catholic but didn't buy into it. None of the other major religions did either. I am quite comfortable with my atheism.

I do like to wear black though so maybe there is a little goth in me. Consider

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
22-01-2017, 08:50 PM
Ooooooooooooooooh, good, another person who claims they were once an atheist and now understands the Bible better than we do.

It's been what, three days?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
23-01-2017, 12:18 AM
I'm only a lifelong atheist. So does my wearing this shirt make me a Fashion Atheist?

[Image: 20161113_113201-1_zpse68ix7ph.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 6 users Like Banjo's post
23-01-2017, 08:14 AM
(22-01-2017 01:40 PM)JHaysPE Wrote:  As for detailed discussions of a particular creedal belief system - that would seem to me to be lost on people who don't accept "god". I find that sometimes, those who claim a particular "religion" as being the cause of "atheism" can be fairly easily exposed as "poorly catechised". I'd much rather spend my time with the the "unconsidered".

Got it.
No True Believer ™ = “poorly catechised”. Drinking Beverage

Ever her of the No True Scotsman fallacy?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce