Hello, my fellow un-believers!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2015, 12:38 PM
Hello, my fellow un-believers!
Greeting and salutations,

I'm a 36 year old man and I live in the great state of California. For the first 9 years of my life I had no idea, what religion was let alone who or what 'God' was. Unlike my other siblings I had a very curious mind I was always asking questions.

I was pretty small most of my childhood, so I was bullied quite a bit. My dad was pretty abusive. He doesn't think so. Everyone has their own perspective though. My mother and father had divorced when I was three years old and for about two years I suffer alot of emotional trauma.

Sometime after my 9 birthday my father married my step mother and things were never really the same. We started going to church. My step-mother was a life-long Lutheran. My father and step-mother had children together and things never really seemed the same the rest of my childhood.

From their marriage to my about sixteen my childhood was extremely turbulent. I went through the court system several times and I was in and out of therapy, group homes and juvenile hall. Adult staff in those places always asked me why a smart kid like me was in a place like this. Then someone would mess with me and they would find out.

Shortly after my eighteenth birthday I graduated the program I was in and high school. I never really went to church much after that. Growing up church was always a refuge from family life. But as I grew older past my eighteenth birthday I lost interest in faith.

After September 11, 2001 I started to seriously question my faith. Which I found was basically non-existence. It took me about nine years to shake it off. For along time I identified as an agnostic. I would go to church but it didn't feel the same. But I think it was Christmas Eve 2009 that I began to rexamine my thoughts and feelings. When I rediscovered my interest in evolution, that was the death nail of my faith.

Evolution was the most hated topic my parents would not talk to me about as a child. I asked to many questions. I asked so many questions about math and science that my father called me a 'doubting Thomas'. It was meant as an insult for asking to many questions. One time, I got an A+ on a paper I wrote on it in 10 grade. My science teacher loved it. But my father flew off the deep end. He called the school and they transfered me out of my science class. They gave me the excuse that I needed to retake an English class. After that year my teacher left and I lost interest.

But I ended up moving out of my hometown and I live a quiet normal life. Still somethings about my past still haunt me. All of my siblings are married with children and I get lectured about why I don't have children or why I'm not married. I don't think that they don't realize that my mental illness affects my ability to have a stable long lasting relationship. But I'm okay with that. It does make me feel like an outsider though in my own family, then again I always have been.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like NorCal1979's post
03-11-2015, 01:07 PM
RE: Hello, my fellow un-believers!
welcome norcal! That was my graduation year Big Grin
03-11-2015, 01:26 PM
G'day NorCal1979, welcome to the forums. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
03-11-2015, 01:30 PM
Welcome aboard! Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
03-11-2015, 03:54 PM
Welcome to the forum!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
03-11-2015, 04:01 PM
Welcome! I'm in NorCal too Smile

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
03-11-2015, 04:22 PM
Hello and welcome.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
03-11-2015, 05:22 PM
Hello! Big Grin
03-11-2015, 05:30 PM
Welcome. I lived in Northern California for several years growing up. So sorry to hear about your troubles. There is a Personal Issues and Support section here, feel free to vent.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
03-11-2015, 05:58 PM
I ain't no unbeliever. I believe you shouldn't make assumptions like that

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....