Hello! share with me your opinions and stand about atheism!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Smile Hello! share with me your opinions and stand about atheism!
Hello everyone! so I'm new here and I haven't been an atheist for long. I think for almost a year. I was born and raised in a "born again christian" family. I grew up having this "faith" in what they call a god. I've been active with church activities and stuff. Then years later, my mother became a pastor. Oh! the burden I had because of people's expectations that I have to be perfect and stuff. Anyway enough of that religion crap. When I studied college and took up a medical course, I started to love and learn science. The more I understood how important explanation to things we believe in. It then made me realize that all that religion stuff I believed in, were RIDICULOUS! They're just opinions and how high people see themselves because of the "high faith" they have.

Now being an atheist in the family, it's also a secret because my parents, especially my mother is a religious PSYCHO, I have to live in pretense that I'm still that "christian girl" (hence the name GuiltyAngel) and it's hard to stay like this though my stand has already been strong. I still have some confusion though but now I really have lost that faith and belief in a god.

Maybe you guys can share with me some of your opinions and stand about being an atheist. I would really love to hear your reasons why you chose to be an atheist. Thanks guys! Lotsa love! Heart Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2013, 09:40 AM
RE: Hello! share with me your opinions and stand about atheism!
Welcome to the den of sin, Angel. I'm sure you'll fit in well with your new found band of miscreant friends. Tongue

As for why I chose to be an atheist.... I didn't choose. I accepted the fact that gods do not exist. I wasn't raised in a religious home but my parents did self describe as christians. Mom's now an atheist but Dad.... he's a bit stubborn. Anyway, I never really bought the stories that I learned in church when I would go with friends or family, although I was pretty close to it when I attended a Lutheran private school. But frankly, it always seemed like nonsense to me. That said, it wasn't until I was in my early twenties that I actually decided to do the requisite research into finding out the truth. Once I found enough evidence to convince me (which was arguably a lot less than needed for some people), I accepted the fact that gods are a figment of the imagination and religion is a shell game designed to fleece people and enrich the sociopaths who use it to their advantage.

As for living as a secret atheist, I'm really sorry to hear that's your decision. I would hope that at some point, you would be able to share your lack of beliefs with your family and still be accepted as the same human being you were before you started thinking for yourself but I understand that it may seem easier to keep up the facade. It wouldn't be for me. I'm not a football fan and my friends and family know it. That's good because they don't bother me with sports trivia and they don't invite me to watch/attend sporting events either. I view religion the same way and it would drive me nuts if people around me continued to include me in superstitious conversions as if I were a party to it all. Not to mention, having to make excuses for not going to church events or worse yet... actually going. Sadcryface

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like bbeljefe's post
10-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Welcome! Welcome to city 17 The Thinking Athiest forum. You have chosen, or have been chosen to relocate to one of our finest remaining urban centers forums.

Enough with the HL2 references though. I just couldn't pass it up. Welcome! Unlike you, I was born and raised athiest, although sometimes it's tough being an athiest in Arkansas.

Just one tip for you. Watch out for Egor. He's a douchebag. He made a forum called The Veridican for thiests and athiests to debate, and it supposedly had free speech. I said somthing that he didn't like though, (Jeebus Crust) but it wasn't in the forum rules, but HE BANNED ME ANYWAY, and said "I'm done with free speech"

Egor? More like Ego.

I've got 2 tulpas, Taunav and Eris. If you don't know what a tulpa is, read this.
http://community.tulpa.info/thread-kiahd...-to-tulpas
If Taunav has anything to say, he'll be speaking in []
If Eris has anything to say, she'll be speaking in {}
If you think I'm insane, I don't care
[+] 1 user Likes My proboscis sucks's post
10-03-2013, 11:56 PM
Welcome Smile

Living "in the closet" is a perfectly honourable thing to do, especially if you're not ready to move out yet. It's sensible too - some people here have shared horror stories of parents and friends reactions. I didn't tell my parents for years - in the end when I finally did tell them they'd kinda known for years anyway, it was just a closet elephant in the room. However, they were still upset when I did finally tell them - ironically enough the lip-service I paid was more acceptable (at least initially) than honesty Tongue However Mama's now a lot more relaxed about the whole issue. I think she's decided her God is no ways gonna send someone as great as her sonny-boy to the bad place, especially since he's not obviously getting fatter on that diet of babies...
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
11-03-2013, 07:27 AM
(10-03-2013 09:40 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Welcome to the den of sin, Angel. I'm sure you'll fit in well with your new found band of miscreant friends. Tongue

As for why I chose to be an atheist.... I didn't choose. I accepted the fact that gods do not exist. I wasn't raised in a religious home but my parents did self describe as christians. Mom's now an atheist but Dad.... he's a bit stubborn. Anyway, I never really bought the stories that I learned in church when I would go with friends or family, although I was pretty close to it when I attended a Lutheran private school. But frankly, it always seemed like nonsense to me. That said, it wasn't until I was in my early twenties that I actually decided to do the requisite research into finding out the truth. Once I found enough evidence to convince me (which was arguably a lot less than needed for some people), I accepted the fact that gods are a figment of the imagination and religion is a shell game designed to fleece people and enrich the sociopaths who use it to their advantage.

As for living as a secret atheist, I'm really sorry to hear that's your decision. I would hope that at some point, you would be able to share your lack of beliefs with your family and still be accepted as the same human being you were before you started thinking for yourself but I understand that it may seem easier to keep up the facade. It wouldn't be for me. I'm not a football fan and my friends and family know it. That's good because they don't bother me with sports trivia and they don't invite me to watch/attend sporting events either. I view religion the same way and it would drive me nuts if people around me continued to include me in superstitious conversions as if I were a party to it all. Not to mention, having to make excuses for not going to church events or worse yet... actually going. Sadcryface
Thanks for sharing. I really have no choice but to keep it a secret. My parents will go wild in anger if they find out. They'd probably kick me out of the house and deny me. haha! But it's fine. Though it's a bit difficult faking my "faith" but I'm pretty good with acting. Sometimes I just can't stand it.
11-03-2013, 07:31 AM
(10-03-2013 11:56 PM)morondog Wrote:  Welcome Smile

Living "in the closet" is a perfectly honourable thing to do, especially if you're not ready to move out yet. It's sensible too - some people here have shared horror stories of parents and friends reactions. I didn't tell my parents for years - in the end when I finally did tell them they'd kinda known for years anyway, it was just a closet elephant in the room. However, they were still upset when I did finally tell them - ironically enough the lip-service I paid was more acceptable (at least initially) than honesty Tongue However Mama's now a lot more relaxed about the whole issue. I think she's decided her God is no ways gonna send someone as great as her sonny-boy to the bad place, especially since he's not obviously getting fatter on that diet of babies...
I do plan to tell them someday to. Maybe when I'm married and have attained success in life without the whole "follow god's will and have his guidance" crap. I wanna show them that this road I chose brought me good. It's not only by believing in god and trusting him or pleasing him first will give me success. But it's gonna be my own effort. Life's about choices we make. If we choose to be successful that's gonna happen if we work for it. I wanna prove that to them someday that's why I plan on keeping it a secret for now because I still have nothing to prove.
[+] 1 user Likes GuiltyAngel's post
11-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Welcome!

Sorry, can't share about my "atheism" as I am not.

Glad to have you here, though!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
11-03-2013, 06:04 PM

Hi there! My parents would also crucify me if they found out about my Atheism so don't worry youre not the only one.
My view of Atheism is from a quote I found, "There's probably no god, so stop worrying and enjoy your life." It basically sums up my view on living so i just thought id share that with you.
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Welcome!! I'm new here myself but have been an atheist for almost 10 years. It's a shame that you have to hide your lack of beliefs, but I totally understand as I was once in the same position. Nice to meet you!!

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~