Hello there!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Hello there!
Well, hello there. I believe you're all going to Hell for refuting our LORD AND SAVIOUR Jesus Christ, and that God hates you all, and that you're all Satanist pigs, and that you'll suffer forever and ever!!!

Nah, just joking. Anyway, on a more serious note, I'm an atheist called Daniel from Scotland. I wonder if there are any more Scottish people here, incidentally. I'm lucky to live in Britain, which is a pretty free country when it comes to religion, and to have been brought up by non-religious parents. My mum isn't religious (but she does believe in ghosts and psychics) and my dad is a sort of nominal Protestant who I think believes in a more general god than the specific Christian one, though sometimes he says otherwise. Anyway, I used to be religious and I went to Scripture Union at my primary school (earliest school for all you non-Brits) but I stopped believing. I can't remember exactly how or why, but I just stopped. And then a friend introduced me to the God Delusion and, well, the rest is history. Now I'm a pretty strong atheist though I don't shove it down people's throats as some have said (at least I try my best not to, though in this and other things I can get quite annoying and persistent and heated in argument, so do ignore me if I go off on one) and I'm an admirer of Dawkins and Hitchens, though I've yet to read Harris or Dennett.

Outside of all that, I'm pretty much a geek. I'm a Doctor Who and Star Wars fan and I enjoy reading and watching TV/movies. I'm fully prepared to admit I really need to get a better social life. And well, what more can I say after that less than shining recommendation of myself?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2013, 03:16 PM
RE: Hello there!
Welcome Smile
04-04-2013, 03:18 PM
(04-04-2013 03:16 PM)morondog Wrote:  Welcome Smile

Thanks Big Grin.

And since you're a moderator, how do you put up an avatar picture? I can't figure it out, genius that I am.
04-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Well, hello here Smile

No need for anything to shine. Light hurts my eyes.
[Image: MAM_09_TL0028_01_P.JPG]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
04-04-2013, 03:22 PM
er... I'm kinda the wrong guy to ask Wink

I believe you may have some luck messing around with:
1. ladies.
2. the User CP button at the top left of your screen under the thinking atheist logo.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
04-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Hello there TheAmazingAustralopithecus; are you robustus? Wink

Need a better social life, huh? Well, you just might find a social life here... I don't know that I would call it better, though. Maybe better than oral surgery, I suppose. Shy

There's an international crowd here so we're from everywhere. We have theists here as well - probably a Scotsman or two hanging about - watch out though, they always think they're in charge of stuff. Dodgy

Lots of conversations to observe and participate in - I'm sure you'll find something interesting.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
04-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Great. More Scots.

Laughat

Welcome anyway Smile

[Image: RHcn6pd.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
04-04-2013, 03:39 PM
(04-04-2013 03:32 PM)kim Wrote:  Hello there TheAmazingAustralopithecus; are you robustus? Wink

Need a better social life, huh? Well, you just might find a social life here... I don't know that I would call it better, though. Maybe better than oral surgery, I suppose. Shy

There's an international crowd here so we're from everywhere. We have theists here as well - probably a Scotsman or two hanging about - watch out though, they always think they're in charge of stuff. Dodgy

Lots of conversations to observe and participate in - I'm sure you'll find something interesting.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

Thanks Smile. And I'm afarensis, actually Tongue.

Well, I know how oral surgery feels...or rather, I've had teeth taken out by the dentist in the past. But that was hellish enough anyway. But I always got a present because I was so scared, so it worked out fine in the end.

Well, they (rather, we) are Scottish...so just humour them (or us)!

And thanks again Smile.

Also thanks Kingschosen, and I laughed out loud at the image in your signature. I'm assuming it's some Pentecostal thing...

"Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."

-Christoper Hitchens, "Letters to a Young Contrarian."
04-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Welcome, Daniel from Scotland.
05-04-2013, 10:27 PM
[Image: funny-picture-meanwhile-in-scotland-555x421.jpg]

I've got 2 tulpas, Taunav and Eris. If you don't know what a tulpa is, read this.
http://community.tulpa.info/thread-kiahd...-to-tulpas
If Taunav has anything to say, he'll be speaking in []
If Eris has anything to say, she'll be speaking in {}
If you think I'm insane, I don't care
[+] 2 users Like My proboscis sucks's post