Hello there! Don't know where to start

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2015, 05:21 PM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2015 05:27 PM by musicharmony87.)
I'm just going to get right down to it. This is kind of my introduction post.

How can I stop expecting God to answer my prayers? He hasn't been for all my Christian life. I never felt his presence. I don't believe that he's there. So why do I keep waiting for my prayers to be answered? I don't really pray by myself. When my dad prays with me before bed I then get my hopes up that God will answer my prayers but God never does. So I get my hopes up only to be crushed. How can I stop this from happening? Just don't expect anything? Keep in mind that I've been in the faith for my whole life. I'm just now realizing that God doesn't answer prayers. But then why do I expect him to? Is it because I used to believe that he would? How can I get rid of that? That's what I'm going through right now. I would like to stop believing altogether because I know in my heart that God isn't real.

I hope that any of you would have some insight. How long did it take you to figure out to stop expecting an answer to prayer?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like musicharmony87's post
30-11-2015, 05:38 PM
RE: Hello there! Don't know where to start
Welcome!

[Image: the_music_man_logo.png]

as for prayer

[Image: Emo_Philips_on_how_God_works.jpeg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
30-11-2015, 05:57 PM
Hi Welcome Smile

It wasn't so much a prayer thing for me. I didn't like the "morals" I found in the Bible and many of its teachings are extremely oppressive and hate-filled.

I think the best thing to do is to do some reading of scholarly books. Bart Ehrman has a book called The Bible: a historical and Literary Introduction. I highly recommend it. I think the more you educate yourself on where these stories came from, it is easier to see the stories for what they are: a man-made invention.
30-11-2015, 05:59 PM
If you know in your heart that God isn't real, then it shouldn't be any surprise he answers prayers as often as Santa Clause reads christmas letters! Tongue

Perhaps stop expecting your wishes to come true, and begin actually doing something real, yourself, to make them happen! Shy

Welcome to TTA! Big Grin

30-11-2015, 06:12 PM
Smells like a joke from an atheist, or smells like a pozer Christian.

But if this is a for real post, comes off as odd for a first post.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-11-2015, 06:19 PM
(30-11-2015 05:59 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  If you know in your heart that God isn't real, then it shouldn't be any surprise he answers prayers as often as Santa Clause reads christmas letters! Tongue

Perhaps stop expecting your wishes to come true, and begin actually doing something real, yourself, to make them happen! Shy

Welcome to TTA! Big Grin

I wish atheists would not make prayer about material things or success, while you can argue that believers pray for those things, those are not the only things they pray for. I am dirt poor myself, my mom helps me out with my bills. I don't feel any shame about that. In fact liberals often argue to believers about giving to the poor. So I don't condemn believers for being poor. I only hate bad logic.

Prayer doesn't work on any subject, material or not. They would accept that praying to Allah doesn't work. They would accept that praying to Vishnu doesn't work. They would accept that the prayers to the ancient Egyptian sun god Ra didn't work. That is a better argument. But making prayer a class issue is bullshit.

If you want to argue "there is no god, and all the good and bad that humans do are do to us" that I can accept. But don't argue class, that pisses me off.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-11-2015, 06:24 PM
(30-11-2015 06:12 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Smells like a joke from an atheist, or smells like a pozer Christian.

I don't think so. Besides this is their first post, give them a chance. Hobo
30-11-2015, 06:34 PM
[Image: 62264593.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
30-11-2015, 06:38 PM
(30-11-2015 06:12 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Smells like a joke from an atheist, or smells like a pozer Christian.

I am not a poser Christian. I am not Christian at all. I am just going through a hard time.
[+] 3 users Like musicharmony87's post
30-11-2015, 06:46 PM
(30-11-2015 06:38 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  

I am not a poser Christian. I am not Christian at all. I am just going through a hard time.

Don't worry, you will find support here Hug It does get easier. It just takes some time and educating yourself on the Bible--the true Bible and not the Bible you were fed in church. I struggled when I left christianity as well--it is a process, but you'll get there.