Hello there! Don't know where to start

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2015, 06:50 PM
RE: Hello there! Don't know where to start
(30-11-2015 06:19 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(30-11-2015 05:59 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  If you know in your heart that God isn't real, then it shouldn't be any surprise he answers prayers as often as Santa Clause reads christmas letters! Tongue

Perhaps stop expecting your wishes to come true, and begin actually doing something real, yourself, to make them happen! Shy

Welcome to TTA! Big Grin

I wish atheists would not make prayer about material things or success, while you can argue that believers pray for those things, those are not the only things they pray for. I am dirt poor myself, my mom helps me out with my bills. I don't feel any shame about that. In fact liberals often argue to believers about giving to the poor. So I don't condemn believers for being poor. I only hate bad logic.

Prayer doesn't work on any subject, material or not. They would accept that praying to Allah doesn't work. They would accept that praying to Vishnu doesn't work. They would accept that the prayers to the ancient Egyptian sun god Ra didn't work. That is a better argument. But making prayer a class issue is bullshit.

If you want to argue "there is no god, and all the good and bad that humans do are do to us" that I can accept. But don't argue class, that pisses me off.

Please show me where I made it a class issue, or an issue of the purely material!
I don't believe I implied even once that music here was wishing for more money, or that he should get up off his butt & work to get it! Though you can include that with all the other things one might want to take care of themselves over praying for it to magically happen! For instance, maybe instead of wishing people wouldn't piss me off so much, I could work, myself, on letting little, inconsequential, things slide! Undecided Wishing/praying for love probably works less often than actually asking someone out on a date.
Etc, etc...

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2015, 06:56 PM
Why do you wait for your prayers to be answered? Because you were indoctrinated, and lied into believing that they would. It brings hope to think that your prayers will be answered. The freedom that comes from leaving that crap behind is that although there are things we have no control over, there are things we can take charge of and forge our own purpose. Yeah, on instinct, I still started to pray when things got difficult after I had accepted there is no god, but then I said to myself, OK, what am I going to do about this?
30-11-2015, 07:07 PM
(30-11-2015 05:21 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I'm just going to get right down to it. This is kind of my introduction post.

How can I stop expecting God to answer my prayers? He hasn't been for all my Christian life. I never felt his presence. I don't believe that he's there. So why do I keep waiting for my prayers to be answered? I don't really pray by myself. When my dad prays with me before bed I then get my hopes up that God will answer my prayers but God never does. So I get my hopes up only to be crushed. How can I stop this from happening? Just don't expect anything? Keep in mind that I've been in the faith for my whole life. I'm just now realizing that God doesn't answer prayers. But then why do I expect him to? Is it because I used to believe that he would? How can I get rid of that? That's what I'm going through right now. I would like to stop believing altogether because I know in my heart that God isn't real.

I hope that any of you would have some insight. How long did it take you to figure out to stop expecting an answer to prayer?

Welcome. Glad you reached out, and are beginning to question the validity of a fairy tale.

The moment I see an amputee on the news, who prayed and had his/her limb grow back....fully documented by medical doctors...then I will believe in praying to an un-evidenced invisible super genie who answers prayers.

I often consider how millions of god's alleged chosen people were marched into the ovens of death in WW2, and I am sure, they uttered quite a few prayers...all of those men, women, children and infants...nope, god wasn't in the mood to answer prayers apparently....I would surmise that is because he is either uncaring, or non existent....either way proof that prayer doesnt work.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
30-11-2015, 09:56 PM
Hello there! Don't know where to start
(30-11-2015 06:46 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(30-11-2015 06:38 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I am not a poser Christian. I am not Christian at all. I am just going through a hard time.

Don't worry, you will find support here Hug It does get easier. It just takes some time and educating yourself on the Bible--the true Bible and not the Bible you were fed in church. I struggled when I left christianity as well--it is a process, but you'll get there.

Thank you for that Smile hug
Do you recommend some websites where I can research the true bible?
[+] 1 user Likes musicharmony87's post
01-12-2015, 07:01 AM
Welcome! Best way to research any religious scripture is, by reading the book it self. But don't read it with faith, read it with scepticisms, you'll realize everything that is wrong with it, and there is ton of wrong with it. Best of luck to you.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes izel's post
01-12-2015, 07:10 AM
Start at the beginning!

Sheesh, how hard is it???

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
01-12-2015, 07:47 AM
(30-11-2015 09:56 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  Do you recommend some websites where I can research the true bible?

Huh

“true bible” is an oxymoron.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
01-12-2015, 08:18 AM
There's no one answer to "how long." But I can tell you this: going deeper into Christianity or any other religion will only give you a longer list of reasons as to why god might not answer your prayers. Examples: god is trying to teach you a lesson, so you need to go through this difficulty; you have not developed a close enough relationship with god for him to grant you your wish; god has mysterious reasons that are all for the best of humanity, but maybe not your own personal best, etc., etc., ad nauseum.

You can spend years reading, studying, praying, beating yourself up over the idea that somehow you're so offensive to god that your prayers are rejected…or you can realize that you've been praying to a fictional character and focus your efforts on different ways to achieve your goals.

All of this might be harder if you're stuck in a living situation where you're required to participate in religious rituals such as praying with your dad every night.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
01-12-2015, 08:59 AM
(01-12-2015 07:47 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(30-11-2015 09:56 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  Do you recommend some websites where I can research the true bible?

Huh

“true bible” is an oxymoron.

It is. I meant the parts of the Bible they don't tell you about in church.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
01-12-2015, 09:01 AM
Welcome.

Life IS a journey.

The important part isn't getting there.

It's the getting there that is.

Or not.

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.