Hello there! Don't know where to start

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2015, 09:03 AM
RE: Hello there! Don't know where to start
(30-11-2015 09:56 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  
(30-11-2015 06:46 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Don't worry, you will find support here Hug It does get easier. It just takes some time and educating yourself on the Bible--the true Bible and not the Bible you were fed in church. I struggled when I left christianity as well--it is a process, but you'll get there.

Thank you for that Smile hug
Do you recommend some websites where I can research the true bible?

Have you read the whole Bible? I recommend doing that along with reading scholarly books like Ehrman's The Bible: a Historical and Literary Introduction. It gives some good background info. A good Bible Commentary like The IVP Bible Background for OT and NT is also helpful.

For a website (although not scholarly) is the Skeptics Annotated Bible. You can also get it in book form which is much easier to read, imo. It's by Steve Wells.

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
01-12-2015, 10:29 AM
Thank you everyone. What I was doing was trying to prove God isn't real. In the process of doing that I got caught up in the process. I was trying to prove to my dad that God isn't real by not telling him what I was doing. It's weird.

Any suggestions on how I can block out my dads droning of prayer at night?
01-12-2015, 10:31 AM
(01-12-2015 10:29 AM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  Thank you everyone. What I was doing was trying to prove God isn't real. In the process of doing that I got caught up in the process. I was trying to prove to my dad that God isn't real by not telling him what I was doing. It's weird.

Any suggestions on how I can block out my dads droning of prayer at night?

I don't really understand your post? It's early here, just waking up, and still drinking coffee.
01-12-2015, 10:36 AM
Jennybee it's weird. I was waiting for an answer to one of dads prayers and it never came. I don't know why I got caught up in it all.
01-12-2015, 10:58 AM
(01-12-2015 10:36 AM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  Jennybee it's weird. I was waiting for an answer to one of dads prayers and it never came. I don't know why I got caught up in it all.

It's the equivalent of doing a rain dance and hoping it will rain.

Religion is easy to get caught up in. It's hard to undo all the brainwashing that goes along with it. Your brain has been conditioned to believe a certain way. Clearing out all remnants of delusion doesn't happen overnight. It's a process. It takes time. I know in one of Seth's videos, he said it took him three years to finally break the chains of religion, because even though he didn't believe during those three years--there was still that nagging *what if* in the back of his mind. I went through the same thing. I know others in here who have too. Educating myself and surrounding myself with fellow freethinkers was the best defense from all of the brainwashing.
01-12-2015, 11:20 AM
Thank you for that. When I was with my ex I wasn't a believer but when I got out of that relationship I went back to religion. I guess it will take me some time to heal. I was with my ex for 2 and a half years and I stilled struggled with Christianity. I was just angry. Angry at it all. Sometimes in the back of my head that brainwashing thought comes through when I read religious things on Facebook or the web.
01-12-2015, 11:56 AM
(30-11-2015 05:21 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I'm just going to get right down to it. This is kind of my introduction post.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

You might like to have a look at this site: http://godisimaginary.com/

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
01-12-2015, 12:07 PM
(01-12-2015 11:56 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(30-11-2015 05:21 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I'm just going to get right down to it. This is kind of my introduction post.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

You might like to have a look at this site: http://godisimaginary.com/

I have been to that site lots of times. I love that site. It makes sense to me.
[+] 1 user Likes musicharmony87's post
02-12-2015, 07:51 AM
I just noticed I did not leave a joking symbol, nor did I say hello.

So, Hello! Tongue

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
02-12-2015, 09:22 AM
Welcome to the crazy bin.

Here's a Critique of the bible by one of our very own TTAers...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-available

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel